• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows 7 Install missing cdrom driver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjacore

I have a file server...

Athlon x2 4200 in a Skt 939 DFI RDX200
4 Sata HDDs (7.5Tb for storage)
1 IDE HDD (80Gb for OS)
2 Sata dvd drives
Windows 7 x86

For those unfamiliar with it, the board has 8 sata ports total. I wanted to add a fifth Sata hdd and reinstall the OS on it, removing the IDE drive.

So I unplugged all of the drives except the new Sata HDD and one of the Sata dvd drives and cleared CMOS.

I then started the Windows install. It got to the point where you typically partition the disc, but instead of that, I got an error stating my CDROM/DVD drivers were not present and setup could not continue until I had inserted a disc containing the driver.

Two things right off the bat. First, the dvd drive was obviously recognized and readable since setup had already commenced. Second, wouldn't a chicken/egg scenario arise with me inserting a driver CD in order to fix a driver issue with the CD device?

I tried using different windows discs, the motherboard driver disc, a Windows 7 x64 disc... Setup couldn't find the appropriate driver on any of them.

I cleared CMOS again and restarted the process. Same problem.

I tried different SATA ports. Same problem.

I tried several different settings in the PCI Devices menu in BIOS.
Enabled Sata Ports 1&2.
Onboard Sata Type = IDE
Onboard Sata Type = RAID

Googling led me to believe Onboard Sata Type = IDE would fix the issue, but I couldn't even get past the mobo splash screen with that setting and my two sata devices plugged in.

Does anyone know what the problem is here? It seems insane that I'm having issues installing an OS when I've reduced the problem to just one Sata disc drive and one Sata HDD.

Thanks in advance

maybe try to use an ide dvd drive to install the os to hdd then remove it after your done? ive never run into this particular problem,is there an updated bios for that board that you could try to install?

Optical is the first boot device. I also tried a usb dvd drive. That didn't work either. Looking for new BIOS was next on my list, but I think I have the latest on there.

My options for sata configuration are: ide, raid, or other mass storage

M$ makes a tool to take a DVD install disc and put it on Usb stick and thus install is done from the Usb stick. This has been the fix for many/most since the release of the M$ tool.

I tried IDE and RAID with no luck. Out of town for the weekend, but will try the bios update and usb install monday.

I did not recognize from your first post that you were using the RDX 200 CF-DR board but I had seen similar when using an Nvidia chipset. Nvidia and probably that older ATI chipset do not have a true AHCI mode that I remember and then when Win 7 begins the install for Sata the chipset and thus the HDD drivers are not known, so the M$ install says CDROM drivers are missing or along that wording. Has you looking everywhere for CDROM drivers. Well the error is partially true, since the HDD drivers also function for the CDROM to an extent.

Installing from the DVD converted to ISO for install from Usb stick has cured your type problem for many many since the release of that M$ tool. Good luck when you get back to it.

Okay, I'll probably give the USB install a try. It is strange tho as I have installed the same OS on this server before via CD. The only hardware change is that 5th sata hdd.

This ended up being an issue with the HDD. Had an old MBR which needed to be wiped. Once this happened, Windows setup proceeded as normal.

It's worth noting that I tried a Linux Ubuntu install before deleting the MBR and it worked.

I'm doing an install on a Asrock z77. All I have around is an older usb external cd player. I got the no drivers for the unit message so in searching I found this page..My install cd is a burned copy too so there could be a few reasons why it won't work..good info just the same..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2755139

I'm doing an install on a Asrock z77. All I have around is an older usb external cd player. I got the no drivers for the unit message so in searching I found this page..My install cd is a burned copy too so there could be a few reasons why it won't work..good info just the same..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2755139

It's actually very simple. Often when you get this warning it's a damaged or faulty burned dvd.

Try to burn the DVD again but on a max of 4x speed. 9/10 times that has been the problem for me.

Back