• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Never gonna happen.

IT departments are looking to go virtual more and more these days, licenses for windows are cheaper when distributed from a server (for multiple reasons), and boxes are cheaper when all you need is a NIC, USB ports, and a screen. Servers can distribute load more efficiently, and I have seen pings of 1-2 ms to servers across town here.

But it better have cat6! Or it will have lower bandwidth than an old laptop HDD!

did annyone get the windows 8 preview? and if so how is it

i was considering upgrading to windows 8 when im ready. but i wanted to see what you guys think of it. i i dont see any threads for it so i figured id start one.

Yama187, I merged your thread with the Windows 8 thread that we had already. :thup:

Windows 8 thoughs.

Hello everyone. I just wanted to say a few things about my thoughts on Windows 8. Even though it is only in beta form that is allot of things that I have seen that makeing look forward to enjoying the new operating system when it comes out in the future.
The first thing that I would like to point out is the new start button that Microsoft has created. Even though it is a little tricky to understand or user when you first see or to customize but one you get the gist of the if and start customizing that start button it will beome a very good tool to utilize. The shear size of the icons on the start menue makes things easy to find and make things earsier to see all around.
One other good features that Windows 8 has if you do not wish to use the start menu is the task bar that can be used along the buttom of the screen. You can pin different icons to the task bar to make things easier to find if you use the programs on a consistent basis. It is just a way to become better organized and have things were you can find it.
The next big feature of Windos 8 is the nice 3d backgrounds it comes with. Just like Windows 7 Microsoft has brought out very nice 3d looking backgrounds. I have not any problems running the back ground on either my personal tower or laptop I have at my home.

:facepalm: Along with the few goods things that are about Windows 8 that I have mentioned(believe me there is more). There are few problems that I have been having as well. For those of you having similer problem before I point them out. You have to remeber that Windows 8 is in beta form. That means that either drivers for different hardware is not out yet or there are no updates out of the different programs that you may run.
One of the big problems is the load time. I have tried striping everything out of the operating system even tunned up the operating system to were nothing will start when the computer does. I still have a little bit of slow boot up time. I can not figure out of that is due to the fact that there is alot more to Windows 8 there was with Windows 7 I have not figure that out yet.
The second big problem is have been having is hardware. Just like I have started before. Windows 8 is in beta form at this time. That either means that the hardware manufactor has realsed drivers yet, or you one of the things I have done is done drive updates to get the device to work. If that does not work then that just means that you will have to Google the problem, or it just might not work until Windows 8 is fully realised.
All in all Windows 8 is a really good operating system. Even with though there are problems I would recomend that people try it. There is a word of worning I would like to give people. Unless you know your system and know how they work, or how to fix them. Put Windows 8 on a virtual machine. That could be either virtual box or VMWare. That is so if there is anything that does not work on Windows 8 you will be able to still use Windows 7 for the devices that will not work. If you think all your devices will work on Windows 8 and you are ok with using a beta then just take the dive and just install it on the computer you use every day. I did that and I have had no problems. I can not say either way if you should put Windows 8 on a virtual machine or on a actual computer. That choice is up to you.

Jeffrow, I merged your post into our existing Windows 8 thread.

i wonder if microsoft will do there house party thing they did for win7 its how i got my windows 7 ultimate copy for free,all i had to do is have a few people over with some beers and take a few pictures lol

I could do that too if it's Ultimate with goodies, and if you don't have to be an US-resident, getting a couple friends and a couple beers won't be hard. If not, I'd just take a Pro license (that cheap upgrade version).

BTW. A little off-topic, just wondering. If you order something from Microsoft Store online, do they send you a COA or any other tangible way of the license?

Back