• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OpenOffice works with MS Office docs just fine. I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Australia most large business have moved or are already moving to Windows 7. It doesn't matter if 8 is good or not as 7 will be the standard for the next 10 years or so.

I see several comments talking about what a waste Win8 is or bloat, etc. I just want to observe that the install size of Win8 is actually the same as Win7. I've compared the two installs and Win8 is actually slighly smaller in the Release Preview. Even if you allow an extra GB for a Service Pack and updates (and without looking, I'm fairly sure SPs are a lot smaller than that once installed), it still comes in at the same as Win7 looks like. But it doesn't make sense to me to call Win8 bloated unless you are also unhappy with Win7.

Windows has been patching and writing around old code for quite some time now, instead of purging it between version releases. It is bloated and has been bloated since Win 95 or possibly before that even. Nature of the beast, I suppose. It's long past time for them to sweep out the basement, though.

I remember when Windows fit on 2 floppies, but it was just a GUI back then and not anywhere near being an OS. Now, Windows is more than an OS. I usually strip out about half of the 'features' during install because I don't need each and every thing they include as the whole package. Even after leaning it down, it's still much bigger than it needs to be, in my opinion.

If MS did make it a mission goal to tidy it all up, I'm willing to bet performance would go up significantly. Might be one of the best overclock tricks around...

If they knew about it and could use it effectively, sure. Most people have no idea it exists and would rather pay for a program because "it should be better". At my current company, we use a ticket system that is (literally) from 1992 and has not been modified since 07/2000, according to the about menu. We have large problems with performance, random crashing, and it doesn't work well in Windows 7, but it largely just barely works. They don't want to change it because they've paid for the product a long time ago and it is just upkeep now until it breaks massively. This is not the only company I've seen this at, not by a long shot.

I was once approached by a friend's fiancé who said they had a server that their management would not replace and asked if there were any way they could sabotage it so that it would have to be got rid of. I said it would be a bit tricky without unsupervised physical access. He said they had unsupervised physical access all the time - it was just in a room. I said, oh well then...

They shorted a car battery across the processor just for the emotional satisfaction of it. ;)

Windows has been patching and writing around old code for quite some time now, instead of purging it between version releases. It is bloated and has been bloated since Win 95 or possibly before that even. Nature of the beast, I suppose. It's long past time for them to sweep out the basement, though.

Well the Windows 95 family of development died with ME. Windows 2000 was based on NT4. So Windows 2000, XP and so on don't really descend from Win 95. Do you have any specific examples of "bloated". Because what you might call "bloat" others might call still being able to run on old hardware. Sure I can't compare the install size to my Gentoo install, but Gentoo benefits from users who can say "I don't need SCSI support, lets not compile it in." But even there, if a library isn't used, it's basically just disk space, not something that will affect performance. That's one of the main points about dynamically linked libaries. It's a genuine question as I'm interested. Do you have any specific areas of the O/S that you feel are "bloated"? One of the things with Win8 is they are bringing in new APIs which I think is a move toward doing a soft-deprecation of older stuff. On ARM, for example, you can't even use the old desktop 32-bit stuff. Though obviously on the non-ARM versions you can.

I remember when Windows fit on 2 floppies, but it was just a GUI back then and not anywhere near being an OS. Now, Windows is more than an OS. I usually strip out about half of the 'features' during install because I don't need each and every thing they include as the whole package. Even after leaning it down, it's still much bigger than it needs to be, in my opinion.

Well I always strip out 99% of the crap that the re-sellers add. E.g. my HP laptop came with all sorts of HP-branded guff. But most of the O/S stuff I leave in. I uninstall the Games if it comes with that. Solitaire is not my thing. ;)

If MS did make it a mission goal to tidy it all up, I'm willing to bet performance would go up significantly. Might be one of the best overclock tricks around...

I think that's what you saw with Vista. The reason it was a mess when it came out was because MS had given it a major overhaul and taken out a lot of stuff they didn't want and put in new things that they wanted. And of course it had all sorts of problems because it was a first attempt at doing things in a new way. My colleague got a Designed For Windows Vista logo and stuck it on the bin in our office! :D

I think with Win7 you got to see all the new designs from Vista again, but this time working.

Last edited:
I think AS400 is a great example of what I am talking about. Mean and functional. No BS involved. I really think AS400 is my favorite software bar none. Tried some of the modern MRP crap but it could not really touch what a person that knows what they were doing could get done with AS.

I have thought about this statement many times in the past, and I believe that the real culprit are the drivers. They load every possible WQHL driver there is on the planet into the OS whether you want them or not am I correct. I see that Win 8 doesn't have certain drivers, and has omitted CDRom drivers. I am also wondering that to program the GUI to run effortlessly the extra code is necessary for cohesion appearances!

I would think that they could lean out many of the drivers included in the OS, and have them stored in the cloud for future use. I had to search to down load the 7000 laser key board drivers, and DX 11, but I don't have all the drivers needed to make my video card run GL bench, or to run my CDrom since my install of Win 8.

Well the Windows 95 family of development died with ME. Windows 2000 was based on NT4. So Windows 2000, XP and so on don't really descend from Win 95.

You do make somewhat of a point here. Generally true, but I personally don't believe that NT4 and subsequent Windows version are completely independent of Windows prior to NT4. I feel reasonably confident that NT4 had a foundation of some sort carried over.

Do you have any specific examples of "bloated".

Specific examples, no. Honestly, I've been awake just over 24 hours and my brain is mostly fudge. If I tried to expound with firm points, I'd probably bugger it all up.

...what you might call "bloat" others might call still being able to run on old hardware.

That is a valid point and is probably more true that I suppose. But I doubt that holds true for every line in the code.

Do you have any specific areas of the O/S that you feel are "bloated"?

In a general sense, I would point to patches and updates. When patches install, what happens to the data which has been rendered obsolete? What percentage of that old data is deleted and purged when the installation of the patch has completed?

When I upped XP from release to SP1, then to SP2, then to SP3... did the junk code disappear? Did it loiter around in the back alleys of my partitions? What happened when I upped Win 7 to SP1? What happened when I ran Windows updates all other times?

One of the things with Win8 is they are bringing in new APIs which I think is a move toward doing a soft-deprecation of older stuff. On ARM, for example, you can't even use the old desktop 32-bit stuff. Though obviously on the non-ARM versions you can.

That's progress, of some sort. But it is beyond my ability to fully grasp the significance. I don't even know what the acronym "API" is an abbreviation of. I haven't written a line of code since Pascal was all the rage. You won't see me dogging Win 8 when it comes to APIs.

Well I always strip out 99% of the crap that the re-sellers add. E.g. my HP laptop came with all sorts of HP-branded guff. But most of the O/S stuff I leave in. I uninstall the Games if it comes with that. Solitaire is not my thing. ;)

For sure, I forego the OEM fluff and SPAM. I go further by leaving out much of what MS thinks I might want some day, but which I know I'm to stupid to grok. I leave out the Front Page mumbo jumbo, any mail handling whateverz, yadda yadda.

I think that's what you saw with Vista. The reason it was a mess when it came out was because MS had given it a major overhaul and taken out a lot of stuff they didn't want and put in new things that they wanted. And of course it had all sorts of problems because it was a first attempt at doing things in a new way. My colleague got a Designed For Windows Vista logo and stuck it on the bin in our office! :D

I skipped Vista, same as I skipped ME. Seems I'm not entirely a moron. But I'll take your word at full value.

I think with Win7 you got to see all the new designs from Vista again, but this time working.

I let others guinea-pig Win 7 for me. I didn't even look at it anywhere on anyone's box until the last week of Jan 2011. Seriously, I would not look at any computer running Win 7 because I'm superstious since Win98SE left the scene. However, I did read review on it prior to release and frequently afterward, hoping for good news. I'm happy that I waited, I am also happy that it worked out to be just fine, and I am happy that I made the switch when I felt confident that the time was right for *me* to do so. It was a bit awkward in the beginning, trying to find the location of so many settings and files that MS decided to hide from us. But after about a month, my foul words not longer echo'd in the hallowed halls of my castle.

I think Win 8 is the new WinME. I think it's hidden progress but there will be bloodshed. On the nuts and bolts under the hood perspective, Win 8 could be a marvel to behold or maybe not. I expect that the next release after that may be the one worth looking at, from a user perspective.

I have thought about this statement many times in the past, and I believe that the real culprit are the drivers. They load every possible WQHL driver there is on the planet into the OS whether you want them or not am I correct.

Do you mean WHQL? No, you're not quite correct. Drivers normally exist as "dynamically linked libraries". That is where the file extension .DLL comes from. What dynamically linked means, is that they are loaded as needed. So if you have a voice recording program that uses BlueTooth to connect to your headset (this is just a simplistic example to explain), then it will have a driver for the BlueTooth hardware. But until you start up that voice recording program, the driver is just a file on disk. It gets loaded up when needed dynamically. So you can have drivers installed for all sorts of hardware (legacy stuff, stuff you don't have, etc.) but they have no impact until you actually use them.

Note the above is slightly simplified in a couple of ways. Firstly, in an absolute technical sense, references to an unused library are taking up memory, causing the occasional extra if/else. But try compiling the Linux kernel with and without support for a particular network card family and just try and see if you can spot any difference in performance or memory usage. ;) Secondly, there are some drivers that are built in. The O/S needs to be able to talk to disks, boot up, etc. before it can start loading drivers from disk. But these are a small sub-set of the total number of drivers.

So basically, your reasoning is good, but you are unaware of how drivers are dynamically loaded. It's good to clean out whatever is never going to be used, but Windows is not loading a tonne of unneeded drivers.

I see that Win 8 doesn't have certain drivers, and has omitted CDRom drivers. I am also wondering that to program the GUI to run effortlessly the extra code is necessary for cohesion appearances!

Win8 hasn't omitted CD / DVD ROM drivers. (Well possibly on ARM tablets and such, I have no way of knowing). Possibly you are thinking of them omitting the codecs to play DVD movies. They've done that because they said that huge numbers of installs never even touched a DVD and that the licences to play the DVDs cost about $2 dollars per licence. So they've taken this out and are selling the DVD and Dolby support in a separate add-on for those that want it.

I would think that they could lean out many of the drivers included in the OS, and have them stored in the cloud for future use. I had to search to down load the 7000 laser key board drivers, and DX 11, but I don't have all the drivers needed to make my video card run GL bench, or to run my CDrom since my install of Win 8.

Your CD ROM is not working in the Preview? I confess I haven't actually tried that with mine. I'll give it a go and let you know but I had thought it should work...

Do you mean WHQL? No, you're not quite correct. Drivers normally exist as "dynamically linked libraries". That is where the file extension .DLL comes from. What dynamically linked means, is that they are loaded as needed. So if you have a voice recording program that uses BlueTooth to connect to your headset (this is just a simplistic example to explain), then it will have a driver for the BlueTooth hardware. But until you start up that voice recording program, the driver is just a file on disk. It gets loaded up when needed dynamically. So you can have drivers installed for all sorts of hardware (legacy stuff, stuff you don't have, etc.) but they have no impact until you actually use them.

Note the above is slightly simplified in a couple of ways. Firstly, in an absolute technical sense, references to an unused library are taking up memory, causing the occasional extra if/else. But try compiling the Linux kernel with and without support for a particular network card family and just try and see if you can spot any difference in performance or memory usage. ;) Secondly, there are some drivers that are built in. The O/S needs to be able to talk to disks, boot up, etc. before it can start loading drivers from disk. But these are a small sub-set of the total number of drivers.

So basically, your reasoning is good, but you are unaware of how drivers are dynamically loaded. It's good to clean out whatever is never going to be used, but Windows is not loading a tonne of unneeded drivers.

Win8 hasn't omitted CD / DVD ROM drivers. (Well possibly on ARM tablets and such, I have no way of knowing). Possibly you are thinking of them omitting the codecs to play DVD movies. They've done that because they said that huge numbers of installs never even touched a DVD and that the licences to play the DVDs cost about $2 dollars per licence. So they've taken this out and are selling the DVD and Dolby support in a separate add-on for those that want it.

Your CD ROM is not working in the Preview? I confess I haven't actually tried that with mine. I'll give it a go and let you know but I had thought it should work...

Thanks for the informative response as you see I was thinking in reference to drivers and also code written to address older legacy hardware. I would think that software to address older software would add weight to software needed to run the more modern equipment. I have 2 new machines with out CDrom support after the install. I have read that MS won't be including CDRom support, and you have to get those drivers from the OEM drive mfg's

You do make somewhat of a point here. Generally true, but I personally don't believe that NT4 and subsequent Windows version are completely independent of Windows prior to NT4. I feel reasonably confident that NT4 had a foundation of some sort carried over.

I know NT4 had a different network stack because it was based on BeOS (MS have always been cheeky buggers). I expect you're right that there was some shared code. I think the commonality was pretty much all up at the GUI level, but it's ancient history and I was a UNIX person back then (still am sort of, but I'm mostly doing DB stuff at the moment so it's sort of academic). Anyway, my main point was that it isn't some traceable ancestory from Win8 to Win95. They're more like my grandad's sister's daughter sort of thing. DNA in common? Yes. Look much like her? Not that much. But sure, there could still be some bits in common. But actually I think the inverse of you. If there's anything that has survived from back then to right now, it's probably because it's anything BUT bloat. I.e. it's something small and working and indispensible. ;) Still, I wont argue the point further. I've never worked on the Windows O/S. I'm going on what I've read and what I think are reasonable suppositions. That is all.

Specific examples, no. Honestly, I've been awake just over 24 hours and my brain is mostly fudge. If I tried to expound with firm points, I'd probably bugger it all up.

Fair enough. There are many things that I couldn't argue after 24 hours awake but are nonetheless true. I guess I'm just saying that I'm unconvinced and I require something more substantial. I don't mean that as being rude or that you must be wrong. It's just that I have a different opinion than yours and if I'm to be persuaded I need more than just your charismatic way with words. ;)

That is a valid point and is probably more true that I suppose. But I doubt that holds true for every line in the code.

Either of our positions would be wrong if held to be 100% true. I think the general case is as I say, I accept there will be exceptions. I'm a programmer myself. It's not like there aren't things in my code that I wouldn't like to go back and change ever!

In a general sense, I would point to patches and updates. When patches install, what happens to the data which has been rendered obsolete? What percentage of that old data is deleted and purged when the installation of the patch has completed?

Ah, concrete stuff and that which I can answer. Almost none of it is deleted and purged afterwards. :D At least I'm fairly sure on that. Not the answer you were expecting? ;) It's basically an issue of being able to roll back and of whether there is an impact from allowing that. You can uninstall updates and service packs normally. (But don't! ;) ). They accumulate on your disk. So if you're worried about hard drive space then yes, there is bloat. I don't deny it! But it has little impact on performance or memory usage. If a DLL is patched for example, the reference is now simply to mylibary.dll.2 instead of to mylibrary.dll.1. So now there is some extra on disk, but it's still only loading the one (comparable) DLL and memory and processor load are unlikely to be impacted. I'm pretty sure it's more complicated than that in principle. Ironically given I seem to be defending Win8 here, I actually know a lot more about how Linux is put together than I do Windows. But principles are similar and I'm reasonably confident in all of this. The simple fact that I can uninstall a security update indicates the original must be there.

So in short, if you're talking about disk bloat, you're right and my only counter-argument is the low-low cost of storage these days. (I don't care if over the lifetime of Win7 it grows by a couple of gigs even!) But if you're talking about performance, it's not accumulating in the way I think you think. I think.

When I upped XP from release to SP1, then to SP2, then to SP3... did the junk code disappear? Did it loiter around in the back alleys of my partitions? What happened when I upped Win 7 to SP1? What happened when I ran Windows updates all other times?

It was loitering in the back alleys of your partitions, filed and forgotten with your Usenet gifs of Kelly LeBrock. ;)

That's progress, of some sort. But it is beyond my ability to fully grasp the significance. I don't even know what the acronym "API" is an abbreviation of. I haven't written a line of code since Pascal was all the rage. You won't see me dogging Win 8 when it comes to APIs.

My first ever programming job! Reverse engineering some software written in Pascal. I recall it had a fifteen deep nest of If statements that came to around forty different separate clauses. Put me off Pascal for life. ;) :D

(Btw, API = Application Programmer's Interface. A set of functions provided by a program or OS for other programmers to call when they want to get it to do something from another programmer. E.g. calling the function to get a partition to mount. You do know what it is, you just don't know that you know).

For sure, I forego the OEM fluff and SPAM. I go further by leaving out much of what MS thinks I might want some day, but which I know I'm to stupid to grok. I leave out the Front Page mumbo jumbo, any mail handling whateverz, yadda yadda.

Fair enough. No arguments there. Thanks for a civil discussion! :)

H.

Last edited:
h4rm0ny,

I'll thank you just the same, for the civil discussion. This thread has been informative for me, overall and up to this point. You've cleared up a few things that have had me bewildered for quite a while.

Stepping back into the shadows, for now. But I'll still be following further discussion to see what may be seen.

Thanks to everyone else that's been on either side of this, as well.

Bloat is not what I call 30GB of wasted space. Bloat is this:
on a default install:
between 50 and 100 processes running at a time

services that are not needed, not wanted or unused running in the background like BITS when combined with remote reg and desktop can cause the normal user a nightmare and get ID raped.

The hardware and software industry feed off of each other. I love how they claim win vista was faster or XP. Yeah they were faster because they required newer hardware.

Hell I could run an old OS in a modern CPU cache. Windows is no longer an operating system (at first I liked it (Pre 95) because it was on the level with geoworks but it was nothing more than a DOSSHELL that had a couple of apps. It was clean and simple. A few floppys. That is what an OS should be.

If your operating system requires an 800+ mhz CPU it is not an OS it is a program with an embedded OS.

how much you want to bet windows 9 will be much better then 8

Why do we need a new OS other than to line the pockets of MS? We do not! For all the value added features they give us they take away value that was already there. But as long as people stay spend happy they will have to have the latest greatest. Hell I am running a PhII that unlocks to X4 as an X2 and underclocked to boot. It is all about marketing and money. If MS really wanted to spruce things up they would cut the default bloat on OEM Versions and retail packages by offering full custom install options and then they offer the interface of your choice or even make it all an HTML/PHP based interface and allow users to make it what they want.

HTML/CSS/PHP is the way to go

Frankly it doens't really matter how good or bad Windows 8 is. Here in Australia most large organisations have already, or are in the process of migrating to Windows 7 Pro. I expect it will remain the standard for the next 10 years or so.

Bloat is not what I call 30GB of wasted space. Bloat is this:
on a default install:
between 50 and 100 processes running at a time

It depends where you're coming from I think. I notice earlier that you were praising the AS400. Whilst that's fine, any modern O/S is going to look bloated compared to an IBM system that came out in the Eighties. I don't know what AS400's look like these days. I remember them having fixed-width. non-aliased terminals. I'm sure they've come on since then but I'd be interested to see what they are like compared to Win7, Ubuntu or OSX.

I mention this because it seems like there are some very different expectations. Your complain that Win8 will run between 50 and a 100 processes at a time... My Debian home server will run something like that number of processes by default and it doesn't even have a GUI. I'm typing this on an older HP laptop with Win8. It has an AMD Turion II (dual core chip, 2.3GHz). It currently has just under a hundred processes listed. CPU utilization is bouncing around the 2% mark with 33 processes active. What does that mean? Well firstly it means that even though there are a hundred processes running, the O/S shelves those that are idle and only 33 of them (at the moment) are actively impacting the CPU. And those processes are actually only forcing the CPU to use 2% of its available capacity. To be honest, I suspect most of that 2% is me typing this reply anyway.

So I guess what I'm saying is that for me, this isn't bloat. It's trivial impact on my computer. Bloat to me implies slowness or poor response or wasted memory usage. Of course if a process is completely unnecessary, then it is technically bloat. But I don't know enough to say which processes if any are completely redundant. For example you mention:

services that are not needed, not wanted or unused running in the background like BITS when combined with remote reg and desktop can cause the normal user a nightmare and get ID raped.

For those that don't know (which is going to be 99.97% of the planet), BITS is Background Intelligent Transfer System. It's a process that moves files around on request, but only at idle times on the network. So say the Windows Update process wants to download the latest security updates. Rather than just leaping in and downloading them when you might be grabbing a file or watching a streaming video or whatever, it files a request with the BITS service for what it wants and goes back to sleep. BITS keeps out of the way so long as you are using your network connection (i.e. active programs take priority), but when you're not it'll say 'okay, not holding anyone up, I'll go get the next thing in the queue). That's a good thing. And the process doesn't really have any impact on CPU usage as can be seen by looking at resource usage on your system. So I don't really consider it "bloat". It does something useful and has no noticeable performance impact. I'm not sure what you're referring to about it "causing nightmares" when combined with Desktop and "remove reg". It sounds like you're referring to some security vulnerability. I'm not familiar with that. Security is an important issue but I consider it a separate issue to "bloat". What was the security issue with BITS? As it's just a means of moving files around at quiet times, I would think that a compromised program could use a more direct means of file transfer if it wanted. Is that right?

The hardware and software industry feed off of each other. I love how they claim win vista was faster or XP. Yeah they were faster because they required newer hardware.

The hardware and software industries do "feed off each other". Naturally as hardware gets better, software evolves to take advantage of that. And naturally when people see that newer software can do more, they want to buy the hardware that can support it. WE the customer drive that cycle. Presumably because we want to. I would think that Overclockers.com is one of the last places you'll find people complaining about over-powered hardware. ;)

I'm not sure about Vista being faster than XP. It had better disk caching, but I never really used XP or Vista (only used Windows at work at the time for email). My understanding was that Vista was supposed to make better use of modern, better resources than XP. So for example, when XP came out, 4GB RAM was a rare thing. By the time Vista arrived, it was something home users might often have. So XP tended not to cache much of the disk content whilst Vista aggressively pre-fetched disk contents it thought would be used into RAM. Which makes sense. If you have more resources, make use of them. But I have no idea how much it actually translated into performance differences as I've never read any stats on it. Still it seems good to me in principle and they stole it from Linux which had been doing that for years so that speaks well of it. ;)

Hell I could run an old OS in a modern CPU cache.

Sure. But would the typical user today want to use DOS or at best, Windows 3.1. Minesweeper vs. Arkham City with DX11... which do people want? I want to be clear that I'm not disputing what you say above, I just think your needs are different to most users.

Windows is no longer an operating system (at first I liked it (Pre 95) because it was on the level with geoworks but it was nothing more than a DOSSHELL that had a couple of apps. It was clean and simple. A few floppys. That is what an OS should be.

Here I do disagree. Firstly that Windows is no longer an Operating System. it fits all the requirements of the term and the rest of the world plus dog calls it one. Secondly, that an OS should be something that comes on a few floppies. Hardware has moved on since the early 1980s. It is right that we make use of it. It's not a case of programmers being profligate. Like I say, your example of BITS. It does something useful, it's running on my box as I type this, but my CPU utilization is about 2%. I am willing to spare the tiny amount of resource for it. Sure I've seen some pretty lax code that an older programmer (like me for example. :( ) would slap the younger programmer for for being wasteful. But I even tightly written code moves on. For example, I made several typos whilst I wrote this reply to you. The autocorrect that you get in Word is now built into IE10 and it's been tidying up my typos as I go. No matter how tightly you write your code, that's still more lines of it. Don't want the feature, then yes, it's bloat to you. But I keep coming back to that 2% CPU utilization on my older dual core and thinking I've got a tonne of resource here, so why not have features like this?

If MS really wanted to spruce things up they would cut the default bloat on OEM Versions and retail packages by offering full custom install options and then they offer the interface of your choice or even make it all an HTML/PHP based interface and allow users to make it what they want.

HTML/CSS/PHP is the way to go

Then I have good news for you. With Metro, MS are making HTML+CSS one of the ways of developing an interface. You can actually code a Metro program up like this using a JavaScript interface for system calls. Kind of freaky. Normally I would dislike this if it were actually just being rendered from scratch like a web-page, but it all gets compiled down, it's just a way of enabling people to make clean interfaces.

I disagree about PHP. You seem to be suggesting that all O/S should run a web server with a PHP parser built in and that all management of the system be done through web-front ends. *Shudder*. The online versions of Excel and Word are pretty good, but I don't want to give up my normal windowed programs, thanks! Also, having everything done through a PHP processor rather than directly compiled and making its system calls direct to the O/S, is extremely wasteful of processor cycles. Even when you use PHP caching such as APC, it's far less efficient than a bit of proper C or C++. That's a definite fact. I don't think web-front ends are suitable except for some server management tasks, in my personal opinion.

It depends where you're coming from I think. I notice earlier that you were praising the AS400. Whilst that's fine, any modern O/S is going to look bloated compared to an IBM system that came out in the Eighties. I don't know what AS400's look like these days. I remember them having fixed-width. non-aliased terminals. I'm sure they've come on since then but I'd be interested to see what they are like compared to Win7, Ubuntu or OSX.

I mention this because it seems like there are some very different expectations. Your complain that Win8 will run between 50 and a 100 processes at a time... My Debian home server will run something like that number of processes by default and it doesn't even have a GUI. I'm typing this on an older HP laptop with Win8. It has an AMD Turion II (dual core chip, 2.3GHz). It currently has just under a hundred processes listed. CPU utilization is bouncing around the 2% mark with 33 processes active. What does that mean? Well firstly it means that even though there are a hundred processes running, the O/S shelves those that are idle and only 33 of them (at the moment) are actively impacting the CPU. And those processes are actually only forcing the CPU to use 2% of its available capacity. To be honest, I suspect most of that 2% is me typing this reply anyway.

So I guess what I'm saying is that for me, this isn't bloat. It's trivial impact on my computer. Bloat to me implies slowness or poor response or wasted memory usage. Of course if a process is completely unnecessary, then it is technically bloat. But I don't know enough to say which processes if any are completely redundant. For example you mention:

For those that don't know (which is going to be 99.97% of the planet), BITS is Background Intelligent Transfer System. It's a process that moves files around on request, but only at idle times on the network. So say the Windows Update process wants to download the latest security updates. Rather than just leaping in and downloading them when you might be grabbing a file or watching a streaming video or whatever, it files a request with the BITS service for what it wants and goes back to sleep. BITS keeps out of the way so long as you are using your network connection (i.e. active programs take priority), but when you're not it'll say 'okay, not holding anyone up, I'll go get the next thing in the queue). That's a good thing. And the process doesn't really have any impact on CPU usage as can be seen by looking at resource usage on your system. So I don't really consider it "bloat". It does something useful and has no noticeable performance impact. I'm not sure what you're referring to about it "causing nightmares" when combined with Desktop and "remove reg". It sounds like you're referring to some security vulnerability. I'm not familiar with that. Security is an important issue but I consider it a separate issue to "bloat". What was the security issue with BITS? As it's just a means of moving files around at quiet times, I would think that a compromised program could use a more direct means of file transfer if it wanted. Is that right?

The hardware and software industries do "feed off each other". Naturally as hardware gets better, software evolves to take advantage of that. And naturally when people see that newer software can do more, they want to buy the hardware that can support it. WE the customer drive that cycle. Presumably because we want to. I would think that Overclockers.com is one of the last places you'll find people complaining about over-powered hardware. ;)

I'm not sure about Vista being faster than XP. It had better disk caching, but I never really used XP or Vista (only used Windows at work at the time for email). My understanding was that Vista was supposed to make better use of modern, better resources than XP. So for example, when XP came out, 4GB RAM was a rare thing. By the time Vista arrived, it was something home users might often have. So XP tended not to cache much of the disk content whilst Vista aggressively pre-fetched disk contents it thought would be used into RAM. Which makes sense. If you have more resources, make use of them. But I have no idea how much it actually translated into performance differences as I've never read any stats on it. Still it seems good to me in principle and they stole it from Linux which had been doing that for years so that speaks well of it. ;)

Sure. But would the typical user today want to use DOS or at best, Windows 3.1. Minesweeper vs. Arkham City with DX11... which do people want? I want to be clear that I'm not disputing what you say above, I just think your needs are different to most users.

Here I do disagree. Firstly that Windows is no longer an Operating System. it fits all the requirements of the term and the rest of the world plus dog calls it one. Secondly, that an OS should be something that comes on a few floppies. Hardware has moved on since the early 1980s. It is right that we make use of it. It's not a case of programmers being profligate. Like I say, your example of BITS. It does something useful, it's running on my box as I type this, but my CPU utilization is about 2%. I am willing to spare the tiny amount of resource for it. Sure I've seen some pretty lax code that an older programmer (like me for example. :( ) would slap the younger programmer for for being wasteful. But I even tightly written code moves on. For example, I made several typos whilst I wrote this reply to you. The autocorrect that you get in Word is now built into IE10 and it's been tidying up my typos as I go. No matter how tightly you write your code, that's still more lines of it. Don't want the feature, then yes, it's bloat to you. But I keep coming back to that 2% CPU utilization on my older dual core and thinking I've got a tonne of resource here, so why not have features like this?

Then I have good news for you. With Metro, MS are making HTML+CSS one of the ways of developing an interface. You can actually code a Metro program up like this using a JavaScript interface for system calls. Kind of freaky. Normally I would dislike this if it were actually just being rendered from scratch like a web-page, but it all gets compiled down, it's just a way of enabling people to make clean interfaces.

I disagree about PHP. You seem to be suggesting that all O/S should run a web server with a PHP parser built in and that all management of the system be done through web-front ends. *Shudder*. The online versions of Excel and Word are pretty good, but I don't want to give up my normal windowed programs, thanks! Also, having everything done through a PHP processor rather than directly compiled and making its system calls direct to the O/S, is extremely wasteful of processor cycles. Even when you use PHP caching such as APC, it's far less efficient than a bit of proper C or C++. That's a definite fact. I don't think web-front ends are suitable except for some server management tasks, in my personal opinion.

I disagree with much of this but that is all it is. Disagreement.

But one thing I will argue about is: Windows is not just an operating system. The second windows offered more than what was necessary for the interface to interact with hardware and other software it stopped being an operating system. It is not the intermediary any more. Windows was not an OS up to 95. After that it started to become a bloated beast. If MS would give people control over the basics by releasing a WinOS that was simply a GUI that had no features that were not necessary to the basic operation of the computer then they would have a winner.

If MS would give people control over the basics by releasing a WinOS that was simply a GUI that had no features that were not necessary to the basic operation of the computer then they would have a winner.

Why? I don't really understand why you think this would sell better (i.e. be more what people wanted). Exactly how basic are you talking about here? I know you suggested you would like to strip out, for example, the service that does file transfers at non-busy times.

Why? I don't really understand why you think this would sell better (i.e. be more what people wanted). Exactly how basic are you talking about here? I know you suggested you would like to strip out, for example, the service that does file transfers at non-busy times.

Raw power and real control.

Way back when you could change how DOS accessed memory. Changing the addressing scheme was a big thing.

I really feel trying to make things easier is part of the issue here. Most people can not grasp what is actually going on inside the box. Now you may not see it as anything to worry about but I see a bigger picture and that picture is an issue.

I think Linux is a much better OS but it just lacks the software support.

Raw power and real control.

Way back when you could change how DOS accessed memory. Changing the addressing scheme was a big thing.

I really feel trying to make things easier is part of the issue here. Most people can not grasp what is actually going on inside the box. Now you may not see it as anything to worry about but I see a bigger picture and that picture is an issue.

I think Linux is a much better OS but it just lacks the software support.

I think Linux is good enough for general usage. If it were bundled pre-installed by computer sellers who knew what hardware it was going to running and got everything set up and ready the same way Windows usually is, it would benefit. As it is, it's still a little fiddly for people to set up and get running. But most people use their PCs for Office, Email and Browsing. Linux+KDE is fine for that and has the necessary software. As more of the application space moves online, software support becomes less and less of an issue.

I'm not sure about you saying I don't see the bigger issue. I know quite a bit about the technical side of all this. And I'd say that even personally, I don't know enough to do a better job of, to use your example, of how Windows manages its memory. One of the big things in a modern OS is protected memory and memory permissions. Basically, means to (a) stop badly written code, e.g. buffer overruns, from interfering with other applications or crashing the OS because its limited to its own area of memory, and (b) to prevent security issues from malicious or compromised software. E.g. particular areas of memory are marked as containing executable code or not containing such. If it's non-executable, then even though a program might sneak malicious code into the memory, it can't direct the OS to run that code because it's in a non-executable area. That's just an example of some of the underlying design issues of memory allocation as you referred to it. I don't know enough about how to tell Windows to allocate its memory better than it does. And I'm pretty sure the vast majority of MS's customers do not.

Anyway, I think I'm done here. I have no wish to push this to the point of argument. I'm happy for us to agree to differ. I think you'll agree that your tastes, needs and technical background are very different to the vast majority of normal users. I just did a `ps -ef | wc -l` on my Debian server and it listed about 109 processes. Admittedly it's running Postgres and Apache, but it has no GUI on it, so unless someone feels that a Debian server (or indeed Win7 which is similar) is bloated, I think Win8 cannot be either. If a Debian server with no GUI is considered bloated, then there's no hope for any of us! ;) I can slim things down on it a bit more with Gentoo or Slackware, but that's more effort too. Debian has long been my benchmark for the efficiency vs. effort compromise. Thanks for an interesting discussion.

H.

Back