• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I honestly think we need one OS and everyone agree to work with it and try to make the best. The only company I would trust right now with that responsibility is google. They seem to me to be the one of the only gigantic companies not trying to strangle their potential cash cow and are constantly striving to make our lives better. Both apple and microsoft show they want to create a market and collect from every dollar that comes near it in every way imaginable and making sure they are the only ones getting a piece of the pie.

"Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord Acton (1834-1902)

I'm not so sure I entirely agree with that favorable assessment of Google. Seems to me that they have been trying for a good while to drive out the competition in the search engine market. What we need to protect us and spur innovation is market competition.

well look at it this way, microsoft OS is over $120, OSX is well $29. its a shame we live in this world of over priced under developed (cant think outside the box) engineering crap. can i do better? well yeah i can in fact, but they need to hire me first but that wont happen because my resume will be on the bottom of 5000 sheets. And im sure most you guys on here can make a better OS for microsoft to

Last edited:
If it takes more than 5 min to have an initial impression then it is not an initial impression. I did not say it was slow or bad I said:

Now in red. Do you understand what I was saying. Every version of windows has caused the power user to have to tweak and sacrifice. I asked a question here. Can you answer it? Do you know what I am asking?

Well then I clarified and then you say slow down?

What can win 8 offer me other than headaches? Yeah I will use it because I have to use it but that does not change my feelings on it. I really do not care how fast it is when it rapes control. Do you have more control in 8? Can you answer this?

I made an observation and asked some questions.

EDIT: I think you are a visual thinker. Many of us people who have been screwing with this stuff for 20+ years are not. There is a reason so many had no clue about what they were doing and still do not. Visual thinkers are really not tech heads. That is not saying that they are not as smart but it is just saying they think differently. IQ the same, grades the same but thinking different. Some of us prefer direct not fluffy visual representations. Why do I need to look for a program when I can set a macro for everything in DOS?

"yeah I tried it for like 5 min and had no use for it"

Let me just clarify that you said "yeah I tried it for like 5 minutes" the phrase above this , and I was merely stating that if you tried it only for 5 minutes; maybe had you given a more thorough look at Win 8 you might have found find it not to be so bad. This is all that I was talking about and nothing else was inferred, but look where this went from that. I also so said that I am glad you don't give a review because 5 minutes is not enough time to review a product....I stand by that, and that was not meant to insult you either! "There was no mention of "my initial thoughts after 5 minutes were" printed any where"

I truly understand your point about all the other points that you made, and felt that you were going in a whole new direction other than I was going with that statement. When I said slow down it was in reference to how you managed to take what i said and go off in a rant for no good reason IMHO. Even this last post you made was truly unnecessary to go where you took it, and dare I say could be read as you being condescending, but I just bet that's your way of expressing your self when you feel insulted.rofl BTW if you were insulted it was not my intention, and I beg your pardon;)

Well for those of us visual thinkers that don't program macros in Dos, or any other language Win 8 suits "me" just fine, and if that's visual ok fair point. But, to call me a visual thinker is just your opinion, and nothing can be further from the truth. I always try to approach things from an logical analytic point of view and visualizing is not my main focus of how I think about something. I may not program macros in dos However; I did understand your point.

I would think that the fact that the "visual thinkers" that don't write program Macros in Dos need to have language written so that it is easier for them to interact with. which probably may be 90% of the world. I think the less control in 8 in some aspects is because the "visual thinkers" just want programs that does not involve programming similar to Apple, and the types of phones that they buy. But, then again I am not wasting time trying to figure that out, I'd merely leave that up to you because I can't, and won't presuppose why some one else has done something! I would think that anyone that programs may think that any GUI based program a waste......but mainstream America may beg to differ.

Can you answer it? Do you know what I am asking?

I found the above statement to be totally amusing and was wondering if it were meant to be a condescending presentation of whether or not I understood, and if this is so you may be more full of your self than you think, and if not I truly beg your apology for implying that it may have been. For any of you that don't like the direction of Windows 8 who am I to say that you are wrong for feeling that way, and that is not my thinking nor was that my intention. Also I never said any thing other than that maybe if you spent more time learning Windows 8 there may be more to like than hate......now shoot me for thinking and saying this!

Last edited:
Well my processor is a 960T Zosma that was unlocked, and over clocked to 3.82. I did a max 6.82 Cine Bench with Win 7 overclocked at 3.9, and did a 6.87 after installing Win 8, the next Win 8 upgrade increased my score to 6.92, and June 1sr Win 8 upgrade increased that score to 6.97 with no equipment or over clock change. I think Win 8 is being optimized for its final release. I will not be going back to Win 7.

ah, so it is a 6 core, or a (1600t) according to CPU-Z :D

Anyway, seems you have answered my question, (in Win 7) a Phenom II 1100t stock is about 5.9 'stock' (3.3Ghz) and an FX-8150 'stock' (3.6Ghz) about 6.0, then 6.8 for both FX-8 @ 3.6Ghz and x6 @ 3.8Ghz suggests the performance for both have improved, but critically more so for the FX-8 as its now able to beat the x6 at the same clock speed, where as before it was just short of the x6 clock for clock despite having 2 more cores.

Now that's interesting, anyone els have an FX chip they can bench on Win 8? just to double check those numbers.

I'm currently involved with Operation Banana, so I won't do it any time soon. If you still want that in a few days, you are welcome to remind me and I'll volunteer to help you out with this.

Thanks, Fare thee well :)

"yeah I tried it for like 5 min and had no use for it"

Let me just clarify that you said "yeah I tried it for like 5 minutes" the phrase above this , and I was merely stating that if you tried it only for 5 minutes; maybe had you given a more thorough look at Win 8 you might have found find it not to be so bad. This is all that I was talking about and nothing else was inferred, but look where this went from that. I also so said that I am glad you don't give a review because 5 minutes is not enough time to review a product....I stand by that, and that was not meant to insult you either! "There was no mention of "my initial thoughts after 5 minutes were" printed any where"

I truly understand your point about all the other points that you made, and felt that you were going in a whole new direction other than I was going with that statement. When I said slow down it was in reference to how you managed to take what i said and go off in a rant for no good reason IMHO. Even this last post you made was truly unnecessary to go where you took it, and dare I say could be read as you being condescending, but I just bet that's your way of expressing your self when you feel insulted.rofl BTW if you were insulted it was not my intention, and I beg your pardon;)

Well for those of us visual thinkers that don't program macros in Dos, or any other language Win 8 suits "me" just fine, and if that's visual ok fair point. But, to call me a visual thinker is just your opinion, and nothing can be further from the truth. I always try to approach things from an logical analytic point of view and visualizing is not my main focus of how I think about something. I may not program macros in dos However; I did understand your point.

I would think that the fact that the "visual thinkers" that don't write program Macros in Dos need to have language written so that it is easier for them to interact with. which probably may be 90% of the world. I think the less control in 8 in some aspects is because the "visual thinkers" just want programs that does not involve programming similar to Apple, and the types of phones that they buy. But, then again I am not wasting time trying to figure that out, I'd merely leave that up to you because I can't, and won't presuppose why some one else has done something! I would think that anyone that programs may think that any GUI based program a waste......but mainstream America may beg to differ.

Can you answer it? Do you know what I am asking?

I found the above statement to be totally amusing and was wondering if it were meant to be a condescending presentation of whether or not I understood, and if this is so you may be more full of your self than you think, and if not I truly beg your apology for implying that it may have been. For any of you that don't like the direction of Windows 8 who am I to say that you are wrong for feeling that way, and that is not my thinking nor was that my intention. Also I never said any thing other than that maybe if you spent more time learning Windows 8 there may be more to like than hate......now shoot me for thinking and saying this!

Nope you do not get it. I never downed the OS but said I do not like it. Was this a troll thread? No I do not think so but you wanting to reply as you do says it all. You do not get it because you do not think anyone else can have an opinion.

Nope you do not get it. I never downed the OS but said I do not like it. Was this a troll thread? No I do not think so but you wanting to reply as you do says it all. You do not get it because you do not think anyone else can have an opinion.

Now that is way from the truth man.....one thing for sure is your opinion of why you "don't" like it is just as important to me as why I do like it, and I hope you can understand my rationalization about this. I never suggested that you downed the OS nor did I infer that you did. I know that you mentioned that you did not like the Metro Phone interface, but once you get to the desk top Windows 8 seems so far to work just like Win 7 with some things operating differently from a different user interface requirement. This interface bothers some of you and I can appreciate that.

When I 1st looked at Win 8 I was like WTF, but the more I got to use it the more "I" liked it. When I talked of boot speeds I was speaking from my using a 7200 WD Caviar Blue, and there is a difference between that and an SSD's boot speed. Regardless, the fact that you and others do not like the new OS is your right, and I never insinuated that you should not feel that way. I never said you were wrong to have that opinion either. I don't think you are the troll type either I think you are very intelligent, but I did say that it did appear to "me" that you may have been trying to be condescending based on your reply, and if not I begged your pardon! Where Have I held to the position that any one that doesn't like the new Win 8 OS is wrong and should not feel that way or, should not have that opinion?

So let's just conclude with the fact that I respect your reasons for not liking Windows 8 and the way that it functions, and leave it at that, because that is all that matters, and is how I truly feel!

Last edited:
My windows 7 phone was ABSOLUTE garbage to the point of not even being usable.

Care to elaborate? Windows Phone 7 is far from garbage. I love my Windows Phone 7 device (Lumia 710). This phone is way faster and more responsive than any Android device I've touched, and personally I prefer the simplistic live tile layout over Apples icons.

I don't think now is the time to merge operating systems between platforms. Tablets are not bad but I just do not have the patience for anything slower or crippled (without mouse and keyboard) than a laptop for browsing or using normal computer functions and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Again, please elaborate? How is Windows 8 crippling anything. I have a hard time believing anyone who feels so has actually sat down and worked in the RP for more than 5 minutes. All you guys are saying is "i hate metro", the metro screen is a freaking start menu....that's it.

Let me start off

I am pretty negative bias on Windows 8! But only because of Metro..I like its new Task Manager! I hate that it doesn't have Aero....and this might be weird, but that might be a big reason why I don't switch over to Windows 8

I have a SSD just chillin around waiting to be put in my new rig

So I'm going to install Windows 8 on it today and check it out. With no bias. Just a fresh start. And see how I like it!

I'll report back on this venture..

Now that is way from the truth man..... Regardless, the fact that you and others do not like the new OS is your right, and I never insinuated that you should not feel that way. I never said you were wrong to have that opinion either.

Where Have I held to the position that any one that doesn't like the new Win 8 OS is wrong and should not feel that way or, should not have that opinion?

I beg to disagree.

Right here, you said: vvvvvv
Some of you will be missing out on a product that has more potential than you have given it, but that's your loss.

Last edited:
I don't think now is the time to merge operating systems between platforms. Tablets are not bad but I just do not have the patience for anything slower or crippled (without mouse and keyboard) than a laptop for browsing or using normal computer functions and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Again, please elaborate? How is Windows 8 crippling anything. I have a hard time believing anyone who feels so has actually sat down and worked in the RP for more than 5 minutes. All you guys are saying is "i hate metro", the metro screen is a freaking start menu....that's it.

I think what he is saying is Metro is fine on a Phone or Tablet but not so good with a mouse or Keyboard.

Having a menu system that fills your screen with tiles which then house a bunch of sub menus is like trying to find your way through some labyrinth, it might work on a small screen with limited space, but to blow it up and have it fill a 24 Inch monitor and make you go through all the motions like you have to much time on your hands or like getting lost in a sea of meaningless tiles,- just for the sake of it when a much smaller and complete hierarchical menu is easier and faster to navigate seems idiotic to be polite.

What happens when some of us have a hundred or more programs installed?, the mass of tiles would be like a floor mosaic...

There are many good reasons why a lot of people don't like the Win 8 Metro system in this thread and through the Internet, there isn't any more that can be elaborated on.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm starting to adjust to metro as well. The performance advantage 8 has over 7 is undeniable too so things are looking up really.

Having a menu system that fills your screen with tiles which then house a bunch of sub menus is like trying to find your way through some labyrinth, it might work on a small screen with limited space, but to blow it up and have it fill a 24 Inch monitor and make you go through all the motions like you have to much time on your hands or like getting lost in a sea of meaningless tiles,- just for the sake of it when a much smaller and complete hierarchical menu is easier and faster to navigate seems idiotic to be polite.

What happens when some of us have a hundred or more programs installed?, the mass of tiles would be like a floor mosaic...

This. On a 28" monitor and on a 44" monitor. Two larger sized screens on my computer, one at 1920x1200 and one at 1920x1080. They didn't think that Metro crap through very well. Each glob of ugly was a few inches across, probably each glob on my screen was bigger than the entire phone that it is meant for.

Yes for a small screen on a small device (which I don't and won't own). No for a full sized laptop with full screen and full sized desktop with huge tracts of visual real-estate. So ugly, I couldn't stand looking at it for more that a handful of minutes.

On a side-note:
I'll still benchmark it later, as a favor, if needed. I'll provide the results objectively. Don't anyone ask for my general opinion of Win 8, as it has already been made clear by me.

I beg to disagree.

Right here, you said: vvvvvv

Some of you will be missing out on a product that has more potential than you have given it, but that's your loss.

Oh really man, and where did it say that you don't have the right to not like this OS. The fact that it says that you don't like it it's your loss has nothing to do with nor does it infer that you do, or do not have the right to feel this way. That was my opinion of some of you missing the potential that the Win 8 OS offers. It never said you don't have the right to feel this way!:shrug:

I still feel that way btw, if you don't like this new OS it's IMHO your loss. Now you may not feel that it's your loss, and you again are entitled to feel that way....my "opinion" vs yours. You just seem to have a problem with me liking the OS. When I suggested the speed difference of how the 2 OS booted you picked at me, when I was comparing the boot speeds on an 7200 Hard drive and a SSD. The fact that you get a fast boot on the SSD drive shows you were not really being scientific about that post, because I had a 7200 WD caviar and you have a SSD, but you felt the need to try to pick my reasoning apart for liking it disrespectfully might I add. With a SSD I read that Win 8 boots in 7 seconds, and said that was a reason for me to want to switch, again my opinion...o.k. When I merely pointed out how the keyboard made interaction that much easier....I was never intending to say that they were new evolutionary items unique only to Win 8. Also every one probably knows that a SSD boots faster than a old school 7200 platter drive, yet you made it seem like they were equal in function. I say that just maybe you are letting your dislike for the OS and my reasons for liking it to pick at me like you are and have!

No matter how you feel about that comment it by no means said that you don't have the right to feel that way.....please let's just drop this it's now getting ridiculous to keep it going. For you to suggest this is what I said from that is ....a total lack of understanding of the English language period, or a personal vendetta you are waging against me, or ingnorance on your part dare I say respectfully as nicely as I can!

Last edited:
Dude. Stop being so defensive. Perhaps you misspoke. Perhaps you didn't consider the context of some of your posts, before you posted.

Regardless, you are coming across in a negative way about a legitimate subject.

You did not specifically tell us we're stupid and that we suck. But you are coming across very poorly in defense of your own point of view as well as coming across in a manner that suggests you are trying to scold us.

Go love your Win 8. I'm happy for you and for anyone else who finds something they like.

I don't really see the point of you continuing to rave about it. It is more than clear that you are happy with it.

You made an attempt to share something that you thought others might find cool. Very nice of you (at first). Some do agree with you and some don't. Those of us that don't like it already, we've mostly made up our minds for our own valid reasons.

I submit that you are the one who has a loose grip on our language. Context means a lot.

Suppose my pal beats me at pool and I say, "Hey man, I hate you."
Suppose I find my main squeeze riding around on some other stud and I say, "Beotch, I hate you."
Does the "I hate you" part have the same meaning?

What part of "but that's your loss" isn't condescending or imply that we are flawed due to our disagreeing with you?

What you consider to be a desirable feature may be considered by some of us to be useless or worse. If WE determine for ourselves that some 'feature' actually reduces our own productivity, then it is true for US. You may remove screws with a very ornate butter-knife. I use a vanadium screwdriver. Both will normally get the job done.

Oh really man, and where did it say that you don't have the right to not like this OS. The fact that it says that you don't like it it's your loss has nothing to do with nor does it infer that you do, or do not have the right to feel this way. That was my opinion of some of you missing the potential that the Win 8 OS offers. It never said you don't have the right to feel this way!:shrug:

I still feel that way btw, if you don't like this new OS it's IMHO your loss. Now you may not feel that way, and you again are entitled to feel that way....my opinion vs yours.

No matter how you feel about that comment it by no means said that you don't have the right to feel that way.....please let's just drop this it's now getting ridiculous to keep it going. For you to suggest this is what I said from that is ....a total lack of understanding of the English language period!

Last edited:
Dude. Stop being so defensive. Perhaps you misspoke. Perhaps you didn't consider the context of some of your posts, before you posted.

Regardless, you are coming across in a negative way about a legitimate subject.

You did not specifically tell us we're stupid and that we suck. But you are coming across very poorly in defense of your own point of view as well as coming across in a manner that suggests you are trying to scold us.

Go love your Win 8. I'm happy for you and for anyone else who finds something they like.

I don't really see the point of you continuing to rave about it. It is more than clear that you are happy with it.

You made an attempt to share something that you thought others might find cool. Very nice of you (at first). Some do agree with you and some don't. Those of us that don't like it already, we've mostly made up our minds for our own valid reasons.

I submit that you are the one who has a loose grip on our language. Context means a lot.

Suppose my pal beats me at pool and I say, "Hey man, I hate you."
Suppose I find my main squeeze riding around on some other stud and I say, "Beotch, I hate you."
Does the "I hate you" part have the same meaning?

What part of "but that's your loss" isn't condescending or imply that we are flawed due to our disagreeing with you?

What you consider to be a desirable feature may be considered by some of us to be useless or worse. If WE determine for ourselves that some 'feature' actually reduces our own productivity, then it is true for US. You may remove screws with a very ornate butter-knife. I use a vanadium screwdriver. Both will normally get the job done.

That's the way that you took that and you may have asked me if that was my intention, because it was not....you need to get a grip. As far as me thinking you were flawed again is your thinking not mine, my only thinking was that if you spent more time using the OS it has more potential than you give it. That neither suggest that you are flawed or any thing else.....get over yourself man!

That's the way that you took that and you may have asked me if that was my intention, because it was not....you get a grip.

I have a grip. A rather good grip - of both sides, objectively.

Can we get back to the pros/cons of Win 8, to avoid the drift and the jello-wrestling?

It is good that some of you like it, and tell people about it so they can decide whether to spend the time actually trying it out or not.

It is good that some of us don't and that we point out why, for the same reason.

A Prius isn't the right transportation for everyone, but it might be perfect for someone who may not have heard of it.

For power users who don't want their large monitor filled with huge glops with multi-layered submenus and/or don't want to sift through a significantly changed interface and/or spend time installing and then hunting for elusive drivers just to gain the opportunity to see a return on their investment months or years down the road, they benefit from being informed.

For visual-thinkers who want to boot 1.5% faster than Win7 and/or who are visually impaired and/or NEED SCII performance because their paycheck and familial well-being critically depend on it... well it's a stroke of luck that you came along to point that out. They will probably add you to their Christmas Card list, or something. (meant in good-natured jest)

Continuing the discussion without a negative attitude can be productive.

I have a grip. A rather good grip - of both sides, objectively.

Can we get back to the pros/cons of Win 8, to avoid the drift and the jello-wrestling?

It is good that some of you like it, and tell people about it so they can decide whether to spend the time actually trying it out or not.

It is good that some of us don't and that we point out why, for the same reason.

A Prius isn't the right transportation for everyone, but it might be perfect for someone who may not have heard of it.

For power users who don't want their large monitor filled with huge glops with multi-layered submenus and/or don't want to sift through a significantly changed interface and/or spend time installing and then hunting for elusive drivers just to gain the opportunity to see a return on their investment months or years down the road, they benefit from being informed.

For visual-thinkers who want to boot 1.5% faster than Win7 and/or who are visually impaired and/or NEED SCII performance because their paycheck and familial well-being critically depend on it... well it's a stroke of luck that you came along to point that out. They will probably add you to their Christmas Card list, or something. (meant in good-natured jest)

Continuing the discussion without a negative attitude can be productive. I just have to chuckle at this statement

There are those of us in the world that don't program macros in dos, and can appreciate the simplicity of Win 8 along with it's unusual interface. As you read through this thread you can ascertain this no doubt I am sure.

For some of you "power users" and programmers it may be different, and "bloat ware" and that is fine. We all have different reasons to like or dislike the new OS, and that is what's great about America!

That last statement may be said in jest but I do not take it that way. If you were a sewer pipe you would definitely be full. You are the proverbial pot calling the kettle black with that last statement, and you are way too clever and too smart for me!:rofl:

I agree with every thing that you said about getting back on topic!

Last edited:
Back