• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is quite a heated debate over a start menu, isn't it? I've been watching the thread for a few pages and hoped that I wouldn't have to post, but here I am.

Qwikstrike, you are always allowed to have your own opinion and don't let anyone else you otherwise. But, you (and others in this thread) are taking their arguments/opinions as an attack on you and it is a bit silly. Take a deep breath and think about it. Please don't let this thread get out of hand any more than it currently is. I'd rather be participating on a forum, not moderating it.

This is quite a heated debate over a start menu, isn't it? I've been watching the thread for a few pages and hoped that I wouldn't have to post, but here I am.

Qwikstrike, you are always allowed to have your own opinion and don't let anyone else you otherwise. But, you (and others in this thread) are taking their arguments/opinions as an attack on you and it is a bit silly. Take a deep breath and think about it. Please don't let this thread get out of hand any more than it currently is. I'd rather be participating on a forum, not moderating it.

I agree, and I am personally not going to say anything else if it is not on topic! I also apologize for any misconceptions that I may have made unintentionally as well! Even if it doesn't end here I will not go beyond this statement with any thing other than likes and dislikes on this subject!

Unless and until you can lose the editorial bad attitude in your posts, I am ignoring you forward from here.

While you make some good points in most of your posts, you ruin them with your bias and your butt-hurtedness that YOU perceive and not any real hurting of your butt perpetrated by us.

If I say clearly that I was jesting, I meant it. Thus, you taking my words any other way is a failing on your end.

Reply if you care to do so. Reply plainly or with humor if you don't want to be frowned upon.

Vic, I think you may have missed my post. Please stop taking swipes at each other and making this personal. If you have a problem with someone, stop posting in their thread.

Yes, thideras. I was still typing my post when you submitted yours.

With all due and proper respect, I thought these threads belonged to the community and that PMs were considered owned and private.

I don't have a problem with the topic or the points of view relating directly to the topic. I choose to participate in the discussion for its own merit.

Unless and until you can lose the editorial bad attitude in your posts, I am ignoring you forward from here.

While you make some good points in most of your posts, you ruin them with your bias and your butt-hurtedness that YOU perceive and not any real hurting of your butt perpetrated by us.

If I say clearly that I was jesting, I meant it. Thus, you taking my words any other way is a failing on your end.

Reply if you care to do so. Reply plainly or with humor if you don't want to be frowned upon.

I have nothing further to say about your remarks or your taste in humor.:rofl: humor.

But off topic I noticed that You used a Plextor drive; which is one of my favorite drives from many past builds....How does that compare to today's optical drives, and I also was thinking of getting that HIS ATI card from the Egg as opposed to Sapphire.....how does it perform for you?:cool:

With all due and proper respect, I thought these threads belonged to the community and that PMs were considered owned and private.
You are correct, threads belong to the community. I used "their" in a different sense and did not mean to imply ownership. This is semantics and not my point.

If you have a problem with a poster or their post (assuming it doesn't break the rules, of course), either ignore it or take it up with them in private messages. Creating a post that is inflammatory (and to clarify, that is exactly what your first post on this page was) is generally a Bad Idea, especially when someone just asked you to not do that. If you can't interact in a way that is considered "nice", then simply don't post. Forcing yourself into the discussion is just going to create friction and cause conflicts.

I have nothing further to say about your remarks or your taste in humor.:rofl: humor.

Fair enough. We have an understanding, of sorts. My humor is what it is; but it is what I call humor.

But off topic I noticed that You used a Plextor drive; which is one of my favorite drives from many past builds....How does that compare to today's optical drives, and I also was thinking of getting that HIS ATI card from the Egg as opposed to Sapphire.....how does it perform for you?:cool:

I find that the various recently modern optical drives burn just as well as the Plextor, when new. I suspect the Plextor will hold up longer, based on periodic diagnostics I use to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the backups I burn with my drives. Future drive replacement needs will be with subsequent Plextor units. I do like my LGs, my Samsungs, and Lite-Ons (not complaining at all). Plextor does appear to hold up better in regard to consistancy of the laser output. The others seem to be gradually getting marginally weaker at the 2 year mark.

The HIS has been flawless at stock performance and even better at full overclock. Temps are never an issue and framerates are a bit better than I expected. I play a bit of SCII, Far Cry, and Batman Arkham City. No disappoinment while playing any of those. The fan would be perceivable at around 65C, but my sound is fiberoptic into a 500 watt Yamaha driving a pile of Klipsch, so I don't really hear ambient noises or sirens or locomotives while playing, unless they are in-game. I highly recommend the HIS unless you find something significantly better than a 6870 elsewhere that fits your budget. The HIS was my money well spent by my standards.

In an attempt to prevent this from being drift, I will say that I am curious how all this would please me in a Win 8 environment. Somebody should try it someday, if I don't get impatient or bored and do it myself.

Fair enough. We have an understanding, of sorts. My humor is what it is; but it is what I call humor.

I find that the various recently modern optical drives burn just as well as the Plextor, when new. I suspect the Plextor will hold up longer, based on periodic diagnostics I use to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the backups I burn with my drives. Future drive replacement needs will be with subsequent Plextor units. I do like my LGs, my Samsungs, and Lite-Ons (not complaining at all). Plextor does appear to hold up better in regard to consistancy of the laser output. The others seem to be gradually getting marginally weaker at the 2 year mark.

The HIS has been flawless at stock performance and even better at full overclock. Temps are never an issue and framerates are a bit better than I expected. I play a bit of SCII, Far Cry, and Batman Arkham City. No disappoinment while playing any of those. The fan would be perceivable at around 65C, but my sound is fiberoptic into a 500 watt Yamaha driving a pile of Klipsch, so I don't really hear ambient noises or sirens or locomotives while playing, unless they are in-game. I highly recommend the HIS unless you find something significantly better than a 6870 elsewhere that fits your budget. The HIS was my money well spent by my standards.

In an attempt to prevent this from being drift, I will say that I am curious how all this would please me in a Win 8 environment. Somebody should try it someday, if I don't get impatient or bored and do it myself.

Thanks I really needed to know this about HIS....Samsung drives and I have not fared well in the past. Plextor was the only drive I would use and at one point they were hard to find until recently I think. I saw that HIS had Higher clock streams than ATI from my research, and thought maybe dual 6850s will last a few years. In the past I had Yamaha YST M55's I believe that was stolen from my car during transport lol

On topic it would be interesting to see how that set up fared in Win 8. Also I was wondering what these other Windows 8 offering have that's different than this version!

Windows 8 Professional Plus edition
Windows 8 Enterprise Edition
Windows 8 Ultimate edition
Windows 8 ARM edition

Even though I won't be choosing to convert myself over to Win 8, I am able and willing to play with it for benching and what-if'ing. I have plenty of machines around here that have been sitting in a closet until recently. Not old worn out obsolete crap, either.

I can't do much with the ARM edition, but if anything else is available at no cost or very low cost, I don't mind installing it on something that I don't NEED to rely on for daily use. I can benchmark if people can tell me what to run and I can check any of my hardware for driver compatibility (if knowing that helps somebody out with the same gear).

If Win 8 is a vast and noticable improvement for (let's say) gaming... I'd put my games on it, since the interface would only bug me for about 0.38 seconds. If the performance gain isn't greater than +50%, I can't see why I would bother making the switch permanently.

FPS doesn't count for performance, to me. I can measure it, but applied in a real gaming circumstance, 30FPS is just fine. Anything higher than 30FPS is imperceptible to the human eye, and persistance of vision for motion is tolerably smooth at 24FPS. Thus 100FPS would be detrimental due to the frames coming and going faster than my eye could see them and the unnecessary load on the GPU to make the extra frames I can't see anyhow simply generates heat and consumes energy that doesn't need consuming. Example: bullets seem to be invisible when fired from a gun while arrows and BBs are invisible at first but rapidly become visible as the velocity decreases just a bit. The screens would look worse at ridiculous framerates.

Let us also not forget that Win 8 is at this stage under development, MS may well recognise that the Metro menu can be a hindrance to productivity, if it is no one in that sector will buy it, whats more they may well complain very loudly.

The enterprising sector is a very large chunk of their business, billions of square feet of offices around the world would not be at all pleased about their work station suddenly having turned into an overgrown Tablet, they would certainly not be encouraged to use their Tablets instead, which to me is where MS are trying to go with this.

With Linux already breathing down there necks in this sector, a cumbersome unproductive menu system (if that's how it ends up) will simply disenfranchise a large chunk of their revenue.

There not that stupid, the Win 8 Enterprise edition (or something like it) will probably have a more normal menu system.

^^^ Once more, part of the reason I always go with the professional versions of Windows. Includes all the essential functions without all the extra crap that Ultimate includes.

The enterprising sector is a very large chunk of their business, billions of square feet of offices around the world would not be at all pleased about their work station suddenly having turned into an overgrown Tablet, they would certainly not be encouraged to use their Tablets instead, which to me is where MS are trying to go with this.
You say that like business will use anything but XP for the next 15 years.

business will use what ever is most productive. its there only concern.
They will use whatever works and is the cheapest. I can say first hand that companies do not use what is most productive. ;)

Wow. That got high-friction fast. Before I start making my own replies, I just want to say I'm not looking for aggro or to annoy anyone or say what someone else should like or dislike! Doesn't mean I'm not going to disagree with people, but that's just me disagreeing. It's not me saying I know all and anyone I disagree with is Mr. Wrong McWrong of Wrongborough, Scotland. :(

Okay, disclaimer done! Hopefully my comments below are taken as friendly! :grouphug:

I see several comments talking about what a waste Win8 is or bloat, etc. I just want to observe that the install size of Win8 is actually the same as Win7. I've compared the two installs and Win8 is actually slighly smaller in the Release Preview. Even if you allow an extra GB for a Service Pack and updates (and without looking, I'm fairly sure SPs are a lot smaller than that once installed), it still comes in at the same as Win7 looks like. So yes, compared to my Debian and Gentoo installs, it's big. But it doesn't make sense to me to call Win8 bloated unless you are also unhappy with Win7. And in how it runs, I have to agree with others that so far, it actually seems to run lighter. At least it does on my old AMD Turion II laptop (that's a dual-core 2.3GHz).

I'm an old UNIX programmer (device drivers, telecomms) so I appreciate being close to the metal and can condem bloat as much as anyone else. One thing I actually like in Win8 is that they are bringing in new APIs and attempting to deprecated some of the older real bloat. For example, as someone angrily posted earlier, MS have removed the commercial Desktop APIs from the free version of VS. Of course 99% of "real" programmers will have spent £300 on the paid version or use something else in the first place, but it is sending out the message that MS are making things more streamlined for third-party developers and will be taking away a lot of the cruft. Win8 is a necessary step on that road and I mostly like that. If you read through the blog post I linked to earlier about screen resolution handling in Win8, you can see maybe application development for Windows is actually getting lighter. And certainly it feels more responsive to me as others have said also.

the CPU still does the same thing and calculates the same way. A spreadsheet program does not need to be bloated crap as it is today

With respect, this is a good example to look at. If you take the archetypal spreadsheet, Excel, it doesn't calculate things the same way that it used to. For a start, Office 2007 changed the way Excel propagated all its updates to take advantage of multi-cores. Previous versions weren't designed for parallelism and did most of it sequentially. This is quite a radical change as anyone who has had to re-engineer existing code base for parallelism can tell you. You say something about "yeah, you get the new popups" as if that were the sum total of changes. But the current Excel is not just "doing the same thing" as you say above. Some of it may not be relevant to the small home user but you now have things like support for high-performance computing on clusters (quite a bit thing for some larger customers), collaborative working tools (very useful once you've gotten used to them), more sophisticated statistical tools, maths plug-ins, etc. You might say you don't care about them personally, but they're not bloat because a heck of a lot of people do care about these things. Basically the point I'm making is that in the example that you chose, spreadsheets, they neither just do the same thing nor do it in the same way. And the same holds for a lot of other software.

Anyway, getting back to more direct comments on Win8:

I tested windows 8 and Its not good for business environments. its more for "PLAY". why did they think this will salve the solution from tablet/desktop. why cant they just keep it separated. Windows mobile 7 is a failure so why keep going with it? they might want to try a more like OSX look.

I'm going to ask here what specifically makes it unsuitable for business environments. I'm asking because I had the same initial reaction as your post above. The screen opened up, I saw large, over-friendly text and then a panel of bright colours and I immediately thought: they've designed this for children, not for professionals.

But once I ignored the colours and the highly easy to read text, there's really very little or nothing that makes it less suitable for business than Win7. You still have the desktop, you still position your program windows around as you could in Win7. The same things are supported. Basically the difference as I see it is that if you hit the Windows key (or move the mouse to the bottom left and click), you get a full panel selection thing, rather than a Start menu. Is that worse for business users? It was jarring to me, but actually it's about the same number of clicks to get anything. Given that I normally just hit the windows key and start typing what I want (e.g. press 'i' for Internet Explorer, 'e' for Excel, etc.) it makes no difference. It actually seems to launch quicker although I have less running on Win8 than I do on my Win7 box, so time will tell.

I'm probably a power user. I counted up twenty applications that I commonly use. That's everything from Virtualbox to Penguinet. It came to about twenty programs. The screen on my laptop is 1366x768 (hardly large) and defaults to showing four rows of five tiles in Metro. That's my twenty icons right there. But half of those are actually double-width ones so I can get thirty icons in my quick-pick page very easily. That's enough for me. When I want ones outside of this, I just click on the enlarge tab at the bottom right that gives me all of the installs. This is actually less clicks than with the Start menu where I would, for example, click on the Start button, hover over All Programs, click on Office to expand it, and then click on Excel under that (as an example).

So yes, a bit jarring at first, but I can see most business users actually preferring it. It's going to be simpler for a lot of people, I'm increasingly sure of that. Also, I posted a link earlier about the new tools for Win8 in the Enterprise. There're are several good things in there for making secure integration between your network and users that bring their own laptop / tablet or take their business one travelling.

Finally, I have to ask you how you can say that your Windows 7 phone is "a failure". (Note, you called it Windows Mobile 7, btw. There's actually no such thing. Windows Mobile is a different O/S that is now retired). I have a Lumia 710 with WP7.5 and it's an excellent little device (imo). Integrates with multiple email accounts, calendars neatly, et al. And it's pretty responsive as well. The only problem I've had with it is MS's billing department who have managed to screw up my purchase of MS points for Zune somehow. But the device itself has been great. Do or don't like it is fine. But it's not a "failure". And the last thing (speaking personally) that I would like to see is for them to change the interface to be like iOS or Android. WP7 is better than both, imo.

well look at it this way, microsoft OS is over $120, OSX is well $29. its a shame we live in this world of over priced under developed (cant think outside the box) engineering crap. can i do better? well yeah i can in fact, but they need to hire me first but that wont happen because my resume will be on the bottom of 5000 sheets. And im sure most you guys on here can make a better OS for microsoft to

You personally may or may not have experience writing an O/S (i.e. you could be one of the Linux kernel developers for all I know), but I am confident in saying that the statement most of us on here could make a better OS is rubbish. It completely misrepresents how large and complex a task developing an OS is. It's complete hyperbole. I suggest anyone who thinks they could do better at writing an OS, go http://kernel.org/, grab the source for the Linux kernel, spend half an hour getting completely lost in the (from a quick `find ./ | wc -l`) 39,107 source and header files. And then once completely lost in there, contemplate that this is "just" the Linux kernel and that GUI is a whole additional project on top of that.

Regarding the prices of the software:

well look at it this way, microsoft OS is over $120, OSX is well $29. its a shame we live in this world of over priced under developed (cant think outside the box) engineering crap...

Keep in mind that Apple sell hardware. To a significant extent, the OS they sell you is a necessary accompaniment to the rather substantially more expensive hardware you run it on. MS are selling the OS as their product. Also, the price you quote for OSX is the price you get for an upgrade to Snow Leopard from (non-Snow) Leopard. So it's not actually buying the OS. It's more you buying a service pack. (Leopard came out in 2007, Snow Leopard in 2009). Looking at the feature list it is mostly generic terms such as "better, faster, easier" and "wake from sleep faster than ever before". In terms of actual functionality additions the main things that I can see on their page are "64-bit support" and "support for Microsoft Exchange." Okay the latter one I can see as something to pay for. The 64-bit OS I've had in Linux forever (and I think XP had it when it came out). Whereas with MS, the Service packs have delivered security refinements, performance improvements for new CPUs that have come out since), etc. all free. Am I saying that the MS business model is better? Not definitely. Depends whether you want to pay for incremental upgrades in small (<$30) or get them free as part of your initial purchase when they become available (e.g. MS's Service Packs, updates to Office, etc.). What I am saying is that because Apple are selling you hardware and selling you upgrades, and MS are selling an OS, you can't just point at the the upgrade cost between two iterations of OSX and the cost of a new OS product from MS and draw the conclusions you did. They are different things.

Anyway, these are my thoughts. For clarification (and people can see my earlier posts on this elsewhere), I initially really didn't like Win8. Now, having read the design blogs and had a third go at this, I'm actually feeling fairly positive toward it.

Don't like it, don't buy it. Win7 is good enough for me and I will be getting Win8 as and when I buy one of the AMD ultra thin laptops later in the year. But to compare it on cost to OSX is not comparing like to like. Different business models.

^^^ Once more, part of the reason I always go with the professional versions of Windows. Includes all the essential functions without all the extra crap that Ultimate includes.

Vista was a mess as far as different versions were concerned. I did the same as you with Win7. Got the Pro version and ignored everything on either side of it. In Windows 8, you basically have Windows Home and Windows Professional.

Pretty simple choice. There's Windows On Arm / WinRT, but that's separate, obviously.

I think they're offering a "Pro Pack" that adds in Windows Media Centre separately. They said that huge numbers of their installs around the world never ever play a DVD but that they have to add something like two dollars to the cost of each install to cover licences for relevent codecs, dolby stuff. So they've separated that out and you can just buy the Pro Pack as an add on if you want that. (Or buy PowerDVD or whatever else instead, I would guess).

They will use whatever works and is the cheapest. I can say first hand that companies do not use what is most productive. ;)

Its not as simple as that, its cheaper to use Open Office instead of MS Office because it costs nothing, yet if clients send you MS office documents what would you say to them? please format it for Open Office as i don't use MS Office because i'm cheap?

I understand that argument is somewhat mute as a key sentence in your statement is (what ever works)
For a lot of offices what works is anything MS, what also works is a navigation system which you staff can actually understand, navigate and be comfortable with, if half your staff are scratching there heads while the other half are head butting the screen out of despair and clock watching it will start getting quite expensive.

Its not as simple as that, its cheaper to use Open Office instead of MS Office because it costs nothing, yet if clients send you MS office documents what would you say to them? please format it for Open Office as i don't use MS Office because i'm cheap?
If they knew about it and could use it effectively, sure. Most people have no idea it exists and would rather pay for a program because "it should be better". At my current company, we use a ticket system that is (literally) from 1992 and has not been modified since 07/2000, according to the about menu. We have large problems with performance, random crashing, and it doesn't work well in Windows 7, but it largely just barely works. They don't want to change it because they've paid for the product a long time ago and it is just upkeep now until it breaks massively. This is not the only company I've seen this at, not by a long shot.

Also, h4rm0ny -> :attn:

With respect, this is a good example to look at. If you take the archetypal spreadsheet, Excel, it doesn't calculate things the same way that it used to. For a start, Office 2007 changed the way Excel propagated all its updates to take advantage of multi-cores. Previous versions weren't designed for parallelism and did most of it sequentially. This is quite a radical change as anyone who has had to re-engineer existing code base for parallelism can tell you. You say something about "yeah, you get the new popups" as if that were the sum total of changes. But the current Excel is not just "doing the same thing" as you say above. Some of it may not be relevant to the small home user but you now have things like support for high-performance computing on clusters (quite a bit thing for some larger customers), collaborative working tools (very useful once you've gotten used to them), more sophisticated statistical tools, maths plug-ins, etc. You might say you don't care about them personally, but they're not bloat because a heck of a lot of people do care about these things. Basically the point I'm making is that in the example that you chose, spreadsheets, they neither just do the same thing nor do it in the same way. And the same holds for a lot of other software.

I get your point but my point was the CPU still does what it always did and that is why I posted the way I did. There is absolutely no reason for a program to hog memory and CPU cycles the way many modern programs do and that was my point.

Last edited:
Back