• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think of every other consumer version of windows as pretty much a payed beta lol.
if you look back it pretty much goes unstable junk-good-unstable junk-good.
i did download the 8 beta but i just built this new system and have not had the heart to try a new os on it yet.

Just did a AMD 8150 build and fresh install of win 8, and I did my personal rig after I saw how well it ran....do a clean install and play with it, you may be happy.....no freezes "qwik" boots, smooth game play, "qwik" power offs in seconds.

Just did a AMD 8150 build and fresh install of win 8, and I did my personal rig after I saw how well it ran....do a clean install and play with it, you may be happy.....no freezes "qwik" boots, smooth game play, "qwik" power offs in seconds.

You didn't hapen to do any benchmarking did you? :D

There is somewhat of a debate on going whether or not Win 8 is less confused by AMD's strange 2 core per 1 module design, thus actual treating the two cores as individual compute units instead of just a duel thread.

Frankly i have now decided enough is enough and am downloading Kubuntu as i type this, its apparently still geared toward customization and still has a menu system that is comprehensive and complete.

All the way through your post I was thinking, 'they should try Kubuntu'. ;)

Kubuntu has suffered from trendiness a little, but it's still at core a good old-fashioned Desktop Environment. It's very customizable so you can make it what you like. If you're anything like I am you will hate their new "Start" menu. There's an option on it to turn it back to classic style. I mention this because if you don't know about it, it could be a long-term annoyance putting up with the kak they replaced it with.

All the way through your post I was thinking, 'they should try Kubuntu'. ;)

Kubuntu has suffered from trendiness a little, but it's still at core a good old-fashioned Desktop Environment. It's very customizable so you can make it what you like. If you're anything like I am you will hate their new "Start" menu. There's an option on it to turn it back to classic style. I mention this because if you don't know about it, it could be a long-term annoyance putting up with the kak they replaced it with.

Had an hour messing about with it, that Start Menu you speak of is not perfect, but at least it exists :) i may change it as you suggest, i may not. I will see how it goes... so far it seems fine to me if a little over mapped.

Anyway, my thoughts so far.... i like it a lot, its everything it should be and everything Ubuntu once was.

Endlessly configurable, looks gorgeous, no end of gadgets and toys for it, navigation is obvious and COMPLETE, its generally beautifully designed.

I'm over and done with Ubuntu, its binned!

If anyone is currently using Ubuntu, and is becoming as increasingly deflated about how minimalist its becoming, or as frustrated with how its increasingly becoming conflicted or incompatible with all the toys these OS types have for them 'as i am'.

Or to put it another way "this junk you see is what we think you want and if 'you don't' be dammed if you try and make it your own" mentality is not your cup of tea? drop the GNOME environment and go KDE, Get Kubuntu

You didn't hapen to do any benchmarking did you? :D

There is somewhat of a debate on going whether or not Win 8 is less confused by AMD's strange 2 core per 1 module design, thus actual treating the two cores as individual compute units instead of just a duel thread.

I did a CineBench stock settings it did 6.87 the same as I did at my 3.8 over clock. This was achieved with 1333 memory because the guy ordered the wrong memory. I want to see how it does with 1866, or 2000 memory. With just the reference drivers for video not being optimized I could not run GL Bench.

Last edited:
I did a CineBench and stock it did 6.87 the same as I did at my 3.8 over clock. This was achieved with 13 memory because the guy ordered the wrong memory. I want to see how it does with 1866, or 2000 memory. With just the reference drivers for video not being optimized I could not run GL Bench.

You got 6.8 with a Phenom II 4 core @ 3.8Ghz? how did you manage that? that's Phenom II x6 money :) was the Phenom II run on Win 8?

You got 6.8 with a Phenom II 4 core @ 3.8Ghz? how did you manage that? that's Phenom II x6 money :) was the Phenom II run on Win 8?

Well my processor is a 960T Zosma that was unlocked, and over clocked to 3.82. I did a max 6.82 Cine Bench with Win 7 overclocked at 3.9, and did a 6.87 after installing Win 8, the next Win 8 upgrade increased my score to 6.92, and June 1sr Win 8 upgrade increased that score to 6.97 with no equipment or over clock change. I think Win 8 is being optimized for its final release. I will not be going back to Win 7.

yea ill probably give it a try in a few weeks after i get my new case and video cards=)

Before windows programs were not as complicated to do things as they do today. I bet programs today have way more instructions than pre windows.
If you tried it for all of 5 minutes you didn't give it a chance. There is just too much to learn about how to use this product, and 5 minutes is not enough time.

Yeah a bunch of useless bloat to make people think they know what they are doing. the CPU still does the same thing and calculates the same way. A spreadsheet program does not need to be bloated crap as it is today. Programming has gotten sloppy and inefficient. Sure you get the neat popups and all that crap that is not needed if you KWFYAD. I can not tell you how many hours, days, weeks and months some of this newer software has cost. Much of it is over complicated CPU cycle memory hogging garbage.

You looked for old legacy out dated classic interface, got frustrated and left. That's no real way to evaluate anything.....thank god you don't do reviews. Yet you are here hating on a product that you have not seriously given a proper evaluation....does that make sense!

Actually I do reviews and I do evaluate things. A proper evaluation? I just gave one. If you have issue with it then you are one of the you are not one of the people I was speaking of that has higher than average comprehension skills.

Lets go through this again.

Well Win8 is just a move toward the visual side of thinking. Most people don't get what you tell them or what they read in a manual. Normal people think visually and if you do not like it you most likely have higher than average comprehension skills.

This was an observation

My question is (yeah I tried it for like 5 min and had no use for it) how much do those of us who do not like it lose? Yeah the general public will love it but what about those of us who are not the general public. Every version of windows takes away something. Before windows, programs were lean and fast. Well win came and 32 bit then 64 and many programs became memory hogging bloatware.

Damnit I am thinking linux.

So my question is how much do you know about older software and operating systems? Many of those older programs could do the same thing newer ones do but could run in the cache of a modern CPU. You tell me?

This will be the best version of windows in my opinion. It boots in 15 seconds with the newest release that I installed last night. One tech site reported that 7 second boots on SSD's are so fast that MS has decided to change the way it boots to address any users need to possibly make changes to bios when 1st booting up. Pass your mosue over either left or right bottom task bar in the corners and your start menu desk top appears for you would be legaycy people, but ifyou have a windows keyboard there is a start key to push.

Hell mine boots fast as hell when I use my Mushkin Chronos. I mean 4-500MBps. Come on now it aint rocket science.

My very 1st install increased my Cinebench scores from 6.82 to 6.87....the next update scores increased from 6.87 to 6.92. After I installed yesterdays June 1st release scores are now 6.97 with he same hardware, and over clock.

Cinebench scores went up by less than 2% and considering the size of the number that is within the margin of error and may have had nothing to do with the updates.

If you have a MS 7000 wireless keyboard and mouse you can go to the start menu with the windows start key with one stroke. There is a virtual key to open web browser, and open Windows explorer with just one touch. There are hot keys for mail, web calling, pictures, documents, and sound making navigation through mouse and keyboard very easy. Today my driver down loads eliminated mouse key board issues that I were having earlier.;)

And my current logitech has boocoos of shortcuts. Way back we programed macros man.

Some of you will be missing out on a product that has more potential than you have given it, but that's your loss. As for me I am ordering a SSD to really liven things up, because I hear applications open really fast with SSD's, along side of a 7 second boot! I am A+ certified for 12 years and have been building PC's for 16 years, and from this point on I will be using Windows and and SSD's for booting on every PC that I build. whoooooooo:rofl::clap:

Some of us are not visual thinkers and we do not want or need our hand held. It is not a matter of intelligence here is is what type of thinking you do.

Yeah a bunch of useless bloat to make people think they know what they are doing. the CPU still does the same thing and calculates the same way. A spreadsheet program does not need to be bloated crap as it is today. Programming has gotten sloppy and inefficient. Sure you get the neat popups and all that crap that is not needed if you KWFYAD. I can not tell you how many hours, days, weeks and months some of this newer software has cost. Much of it is over complicated CPU cycle memory hogging garbage.

Actually I do reviews and I do evaluate things. A proper evaluation? I just gave one. If you have issue with it then you are one of the you are not one of the people I was speaking of that has higher than average comprehension skills.

Lets go through this again.

This was an observation

So my question is how much do you know about older software and operating systems? Many of those older programs could do the same thing newer ones do but could run in the cache of a modern CPU. You tell me?

Hell mine boots fast as hell when I use my Mushkin Chronos. I mean 4-500MBps. Come on now it aint rocket science.

Cinebench scores went up by less than 2% and considering the size of the number that is within the margin of error and may have had nothing to do with the updates.

And my current logitech has boocoos of shortcuts. Way back we programed macros man.

Some of us are not visual thinkers and we do not want or need our hand held. It is not a matter of intelligence here is is what type of thinking you do.

Dude slow down....you said that you looked at it for 5 minutes, and 5 minutes is not enough time for a thorough evaluation in my honest opinion. But if you feel offended by what I said and by your rant is is obvious that you are get a grip and good fn luck! ROFl

Before windows programs were not as complicated to do things as they do today. I bet programs today have way more instructions than pre windows.
If you tried it for all of 5 minutes you didn't give it a chance. There is just too much to learn about how to use this product, and 5 minutes is not enough time.

You looked for old legacy out dated classic interface, got frustrated and left. That's no real way to evaluate anything.....thank god you don't do reviews. Yet you are here hating on a product that you have not seriously given a proper evaluation....does that make sense!

This will be the best version of windows in my opinion. It boots in 15 seconds with the newest release that I installed last night. One tech site reported that 7 second boots on SSD's are so fast that MS has decided to change the way it boots to address any users need to possibly make changes to bios when 1st booting up. Pass your mosue over either left or right bottom task bar in the corners and your start menu desk top appears for you would be legaycy people, but ifyou have a windows keyboard there is a start key to push.

My very 1st install increased my Cinebench scores from 6.82 to 6.87....the next update scores increased from 6.87 to 6.92. After I installed yesterdays June 1st release scores are now 6.97 with he same hardware, and over clock.

If you have a MS 7000 wireless keyboard and mouse you can go to the start menu with the windows start key with one stroke. There is a virtual key to open web browser, and open Windows explorer with just one touch. There are hot keys for mail, web calling, pictures, documents, and sound making navigation through mouse and keyboard very easy. Today my driver down loads eliminated mouse key board issues that I were having earlier.;)

Some of you will be missing out on a product that has more potential than you have given it, but that's your loss. As for me I am ordering a SSD to really liven things up, because I hear applications open really fast with SSD's, along side of a 7 second boot! I am A+ certified for 12 years and have been building PC's for 16 years, and from this point on I will be using Windows and and SSD's for booting on every PC that I build. whoooooooo:rofl::clap:

I'm also glad you don't do reviews because you are praising windows like they are paying you to say this stuff and your whole basis so far has been it boots in X amount of seconds, scII seems fluid and it may improve performance scores by slim margins?

I'll hold out until something worthwhile happens or they offer W8 for 50$ like a video game

I tested windows 8 and Its not good for business environments. its more for "PLAY". why did they think this will salve the solution from tablet/desktop. why cant they just keep it separated. Windows mobile 7 is a failure so why keep going with it? they might want to try a more like OSX look.

Dude slow down....you said that you looked at it for 5 minutes, and 5 minutes is not enough time for a thorough evaluation in my honest opinion. But if you feel offended by what I said and by your rant is is obvious that you are get a grip and good fn luck! ROFl

If it takes more than 5 min to have an initial impression then it is not an initial impression. I did not say it was slow or bad I said:

Well Win8 is just a move toward the visual side of thinking. Most people don't get what you tell them or what they read in a manual. Normal people think visually and if you do not like it you most likely have higher than average comprehension skills.

My question is (yeah I tried it for like 5 min and had no use for it) how much do those of us who do not like it lose? Yeah the general public will love it but what about those of us who are not the general public. Every version of windows takes away something. Before windows, programs were lean and fast. Well win came and 32 bit then 64 and many programs became memory hogging bloatware.

Damnit I am thinking linux.

Now in red. Do you understand what I was saying. Every version of windows has caused the power user to have to tweak and sacrifice. I asked a question here. Can you answer it? Do you know what I am asking?

Well then I clarified and then you say slow down?

What can win 8 offer me other than headaches? Yeah I will use it because I have to use it but that does not change my feelings on it. I really do not care how fast it is when it rapes control. Do you have more control in 8? Can you answer this?

I made an observation and asked some questions.

EDIT: I think you are a visual thinker. Many of us people who have been screwing with this stuff for 20+ years are not. There is a reason so many had no clue about what they were doing and still do not. Visual thinkers are really not tech heads. That is not saying that they are not as smart but it is just saying they think differently. IQ the same, grades the same but thinking different. Some of us prefer direct not fluffy visual representations. Why do I need to look for a program when I can set a macro for everything in DOS?

Last edited:
I tested windows 8 and Its not good for business environments. its more for "PLAY". why did they think this will salve the solution from tablet/desktop. why cant they just keep it separated. Windows mobile 7 is a failure so why keep going with it? they might want to try a more like OSX look.

They are trying to copy apples simplistic interface yet what they fail to realize is it's not the interface that is the bread winner, it's the fact that it works and works seemingly flawless. My windows 7 phone was ABSOLUTE garbage to the point of not even being usable. I've also owned android and I currently have an iphone and I can attest to them being miles better.

My mother loves her new iphone because it is easy to use but she'd be happy so long as it worked and didn't make her look stupid such as randomly dialing people, dropping several calls or the screen freezing on a daily basis when trying to use.

I don't think now is the time to merge operating systems between platforms. Tablets are not bad but I just do not have the patience for anything slower or crippled (without mouse and keyboard) than a laptop for browsing or using normal computer functions and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Although I have a huge distaste for both apple and microsoft so I wouldn't mind trying to see both of them run each other over in the same market. Figuratively speaking of course :)

Last edited:

I can take a quick nibble of freeze-dried re-fried octopus dung and say within seconds that I don't like it. There is no need for me to continue masticating for 30 more minutes in order for the dung to become appealing - it simply never will.

I can say the same for Win 8. All the performance improvement (not that much, really) won't win me over. The interface is simply the deal-breaker.

Analogy: I could meet a sexy redhead that is crazy-wild behind closed doors when the lights are out, but if her attitude is horrible and I can't bear to look at her in broad daylight, there is no chance for long-term commitment.

I will not commit to Win 8. She's hideous.

You looked for old legacy out dated classic interface, got frustrated and left. That's no real way to evaluate anything

I looked for the classic interface, as well. It is a real way to evaluate, if that is relevant to the person looking.

You may like the phone interface and that may be all you want from it or at least a major determining factor FOR YOU. Some, like myself, want and/or need more. Some, like myself, want/need an interface that is useful to how I/WE mentally process and then interact with our devices. Win 8 interface would not facilitate my productivity simply because it is crap - for my machine and for my method of mental processing.

I do not use a tablet, I am not a visual thinker, I do not (and will not) have a smart phone [they aren't smart and it seems very few people use the phone function]. I work on desktop computers, I sometimes use a full sized laptop, I actually TALK to people on a basic no-frills brick cell phone, and I have a multipurpose PDA for my contacts and calendar.

What may work for you, may not work for others. It appears you expect to prosyletize us into becoming 'Win 8 Zombies' along with you. Some of us aren't interested.

It boots in 15 seconds with the newest release that I installed last night. One tech site reported that 7 second boots on SSD's are so fast...

I try to NOT spend all of my day booting and rebooting my computer. I boot Win 7 in under 15 seconds. Sometimes I do this twice a day, even!

What matters most to me is how much I can get done and how efficiently I can do those things AFTER I HAVE BOOTED. If the interface makes my progress take longer for the duration of the day, any boot time I save is severely offset by the loss of ACTUAL PRODUCTIVITY.

Also, consider the time it take to INSTALL the '?upgrade?'. If it actually does shave a few seconds off of my boot time, and if I do boot twice a day every day, and could install Win 8 in say 60 minutes... It would take 240 days for me to break even on the install time vs. the boot savings. Not really a viable incentive for switching over, is it?

If you have a MS 7000 wireless keyboard and mouse you can go to the start menu with the windows start key with one stroke. There is a virtual key to open web browser, and open Windows explorer with just one touch. There are hot keys for mail, web calling, pictures, documents, and sound making navigation through mouse and keyboard very easy.

This is a hardware feature. It is not unique to Win 8. I've been doing the same general thing since 1990 (22 years) with many keyboards (some without special keys - using macros and keyboard redefinition via ANSI back in the days of DOS).

Some of you will be missing out on a product that has more potential than you have given it...

I look forward to missing out, as do quite a few others.

but that's your loss.

Is it?!? I suppose I'm losing out on the nasty ugly redhead and the octopus dung, as well. Shame on me.

I am A+ certified for 12 years and have been building PC's for 16 years...

A+ is no big deal. It's like 3rd place ribbon at the special olympics. Nearly anyone can get that or better. How long you've been a PC builder is irrelevant to the subject of Win 8. I've been building PCs since 1976, and that too is irrelevant to the subject of Win 8. So is my experience with mainframe systems prior to 1976.

You like Win 8. How wonderful for you. Some of us do not, and we are not defective nor will we suffer any loss by staying way the hell away from it.

I consider myself very fortunate to exist in a world where I am immune to fanboyism.

Last edited:
The day OSX works with more programmers for games is the day ill never look back at microsoft

Well I just think they need to lighten up and keep the standard interface standard and have the option to enable the new interface.

Well I just think they need to lighten up and keep the standard interface standard and have the option to enable the new interface.

I'm with you, there.

If they were to do that and if they were to make the migration from 7 to 8 feasible (unlike XP to 7), I would have left 8 on the machine and possibly installed it on more of my machines as time progressed.

So far, it's not looking good for interface options, application migration, and useability.

I have no interest in re-learning how to use common tools over and over again. My screwdriver still looks and works like the last one I had. My car generally works the same as the car I had back in 1972, even though it is vastly superior underneath the skin. Windows could be the same, and that would be fine with me.

The day OSX works with more programmers for games is the day ill never look back at microsoft

I honestly think we need one OS and everyone agree to work with it and try to make the best. The only company I would trust right now with that responsibility is google. They seem to me to be the one of the only gigantic companies not trying to strangle their potential cash cow and are constantly striving to make our lives better. Both apple and microsoft show they want to create a market and collect from every dollar that comes near it in every way imaginable and making sure they are the only ones getting a piece of the pie.

Back