• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would like opinions on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dmart01

Registered
Well I have put together my new build. Would like some opinions on it. It is the most I could afford to spend so please dont suggest anything higher priced. All items are from newegg minus the cooler.

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Case

ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Motherboard

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply

Core i7 920 processor

Gskill dual channel kit 4gb

2 WD Caviar 500gb SATA drives in RAID0-both 7200rpm

Sony Optiarc 24x dvd burner

Prolimatech Megahalem Rev. B cpu cooler with 120x25 63cfm fan. Should I go with the 75cfm fan? Noise doesnt bother me.

GFX cards will be the dual 7950gt's in SLI that are in my current system.

Would like better gfx cards but its not in the budget :(

Is there a reason why you chose dual channel DDR3 over triple channel?

Unless you are planning on SLI/Xfire newer GPUs in the future, I think you could reduce to PSU to save some money.

First off... Welcome to OCForums :welcome:

Your build looks like a good choice... but there is a chance you could save some money...

DO you live near a Micro Center Store? If so they sell the i7 920 for $200 (instore only, 1 per houshold)

Also you could likely get away with a lower power supply such as the 650 instead of the 750.

From the money you save you can get a 6gb triple channel kit.

First off... Welcome to OCForums :welcome:

Your build looks like a good choice... but there is a chance you could save some money...

DO you live near a Micro Center Store? If so they sell the i7 920 for $200 (instore only, 1 per houshold)

Also you could likely get away with a lower power supply such as the 650 instead of the 750.

From the money you save you can get a 6gb triple channel kit.

Wish I had one of those around me. Unfortunately im in Vermont and we dont have much of anything. As for the power supply I just want to be sure that I can upgrade and not have to worry about powering whatever I buy. As for the ram, Im not using a 64bit OS so I figured the 4gb was enough. Plus ive had alot of stuff I couldnt get to run on a 64bit os. Any reason why you guys think its an important upgrade?

The reason I asked about the RAM is if you want to take advantage of triple channel, then you need 3 sticks of RAM, usually 3x1GB or 3x2GB.

A 32bit OS can only address 4GB of total RAM, so more than 4GB would be a waste.

I'm thinking you should go 3x1GB for your RAM, then you'll have to count the 7950GTs into the total 4GB.

How much RAM is on the 7950GTs, 512MB? If so, then 3x1GB + 2x512MB would give you a total of 4GB.

Back