• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF!!! 53C load @ stock w/ SP-94...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
7keys said:
If I were you I would cut out the fan grid area first and see the results before buying new fans. When I did it I was amazed at the results. I couldn’t even feel much air coming through before I cut out the restrictive area…You might not need new fans If you get the ones you have working properly.

Thanks for the suggestion... I was planning on getting some tin snips (Wiss) from my father-in-law soon anyway. I guess I'll give that a shot first...

What kind of difference did yours make arch... something like 40% improvement???

Another weird thing I'm noticing... w/o the side panel on, my case temps are 34c @ idle. They actually went up! There's not a fan blowing directly into the case (don't have a portable fan). My apartment is usually around 75° F. Kind of wierd...

Just wanna share wif you my experience with this temperature issues:

I was using the SP-94 with 90mm Thermaltake fan (Model TT 9025A-2B) which put out 56 CFM at 2800 rpm with 35 dBA sound level. I believe this fan is OEM from Panaflo.

Casing has a total of: 8 X 80mm & 2 X 90mm case fans.

Temperature reading (via Fan Speed & MBM5) was:
At full load (2 X Prime 95): 58C - 59C
Case/System Temp: 33C
Room Temperature: 24.5C

To further improve the temperature, I changed the HSF to 80mm ThermalTake SF II. I manage to "slot" in the temperature probe in between the heat pipe and the based of the heat sink. The SF2 was running in "auto" mode which it will regulate the rpm based on the temperature of the heatr sink.

Temperature reading (via Fan Speed & MBM5) was:

At full load (2 X Prime 95) - aircon room
CPU: 53C - 54C
Case/System Temp: 31C-32C
Room Temperature: 25C
Fan Speed: 3800 rpm to 4100 rpm

At full load (2 X Prime 95) - w/o aircon
CPU: 55C - 56C
Case/System Temp: 36C - 37C
Room Temperature: 29.8C
Fan Speed: 4200 rpm to 4500 rpm

I have another external temperature probe attached on the base of SP94 which read 42C to 44 C at maximun loading.

Idle - aircon room
CPU: 38C - 39C
Case/System Temp: 30C
Room Temperature: 24.5C
Fan Speed: 1600 rpm to 2100 rpm

I can't hear any noise coming from SF2 for speed below 3000 rpm.

IMHO, this SF2 fit perfectly into my system. When surfing the net and doing some microsoft office works etc., I can't hear any fan noise. When playing games, I can't hear any fan noise either because the game music and special sound effect are a lot louder than the fan noise. Oh yeah, I could hear the fan noise if running P95, but thank goodness I don't run this software every day for it's scientific mathematical discovery :D

YellowDart said:
Thanks for linky!

I've read the review from bleedin edge before. There's a few ppl in their forums w/ my board, just because that Promethius guy gave it a good review.

As for the fans, how do those Thermaltake Smartfan II's do. I noticed they are capable of around 4800 rpm pushing 75 cfm. The 80mm Tornados are only doing just over that @ 84 cfm. I think they're rated faster than the Panaflo's. Those Tt's are the right dimentions that I wouldn't have to do any more modding to get them to fit my case too... I could prolly run to Fry's and pick a couple up next week. Let me know what you all think!

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!!
:)

Yeah, I've tried that and I got about 8C to 10C more. With this temp, the SF2 will spin a lot more RPM at low/mid CPU load and hence louder fan noise. I figured the "best" setting will be just place the probe on the heat sink, and I would just plus 10C or so to get an estimate on the CPU core temp.

With the probe underneath the CPU, I somehow couldn't get a very good mount on the CPU. Hence, I will just leave the probe underneath the heat sink instead :)

mfjonny said:
I've found that I get much higher temp probe reading (and much more accurate readings) from installing the probe underneath the CPU diode with some thermal tape - this is the thermaltake recommended setup.

http://www.thermaltake.com/support/installations/coolers/v9.htm

Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the pixes...

Hope this helps...

Hrmmm... My problem is about case airflow, is it not??? How much improvement would I see in adding a Tt smartfan 2 as my hsf over my Antec 92mm. Especially since I could possibly be running 2 other SF2's as intake and exhaust...

Well, you could always try using the SF2 fan and see if there is any improvement. For my case, it was a 5C improvement without altering the case fan configuration.

To rule out your case airflow issue, you may want to remove your casing side pannel and do a comparison test between SF2 and Panaflo.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much abt the idle temp. but at full load if your CPU temp don't go over 60 C I think it would be pretty safe as far as the life of your CPU is concerned.

But if your aim is to get the temp down as low as possible, than you would have to live with a noisy computer system. Fan noise and low temperature are in general "mutual exclusive" :)

Unless you are using an external temperature probe, the temp reading provided by the mobo may not be accurate as well.

YellowDart said:
Hrmmm... My problem is about case airflow, is it not??? How much improvement would I see in adding a Tt smartfan 2 as my hsf over my Antec 92mm. Especially since I could possibly be running 2 other SF2's as intake and exhaust...

Triodeman said:
Well, you could always try using the SF2 fan and see if there is any improvement. For my case, it was a 5C improvement without altering the case fan configuration.

To rule out your case airflow issue, you may want to remove your casing side pannel and do a comparison test between SF2 and Panaflo.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much abt the idle temp. but at full load if your CPU temp don't go over 60 C I think it would be pretty safe as far as the life of your CPU is concerned.

But if your aim is to get the temp down as low as possible, than you would have to live with a noisy computer system. Fan noise and low temperature are in general "mutual exclusive" :)

Unless you are using an external temperature probe, the temp reading provided by the mobo may not be accurate as well.

I'm almost thinking my mobo temp diodes aren't 100% accurate.

I have tried running w/ my case door open. No real improvement, although I didn't have a large fan blowing directly into the case... I could prolly try that and see if it gives me any improvement.

Doesn't the SF2 outperform the Panaflo's as far as max CFM goes??? I don't have either atm. I'm thinking about picking up some SF2's though...

YellowDart said:
Doesn't the SF2 outperform the Panaflo's as far as max CFM goes???

Which Panaflo's? Compared to the 80mm U1A, the SF2 pushes more air on paper, but in practice I saw virtually no difference in the temps. Plus, the Panaflo's are significantly more quiet, lacking the SF2's annoying whine. If you can't choose between the two, why not buy both and decide which you like for yourself?

I see you have done much planning to cool down your case. I know you will have to spend money, but have you considered another case? See my rig for alternatives. Temps are nice and I have it OC to 3200+

YellowDart said:
Here's my case fan setup:

-Fortron 350w PSU (120mm fan on bottom, very thin grating on the rear w/ no fan) I usually run this on silent mode... I don't know what kind of CFM it has.

-2 side intake fans - 80mm Antec Blu LED fans. One positioned over the cpu, the other positioned over the video card. Both push 32-34 CFM.
-1 front bottom intake fan - 80mm Antec Blu LED fan. Positioned under hdd cage. 32-34 CFM.

-1 rear exhaust fan - 80mm generic Blu LED fan. Positioned direcly under the psu. I'm not sure how this fan is rated, it came w/ my case.

I've also got a 92mm Antec clear fan on my SP-94.
BTW: Here's my case.

Any suggestions??? I'm not really into doing huge case mods.... So I'd like some pretty easy suggstions....

About your 2 side intake fans, is one of them REALLY above the CPU HS/fan? If it is, then removing it would be a great idea. Also, I've found that if you have your computer in a hot room, it's best to have more exhaust then intake.

Evil_Eye said:

About your 2 side intake fans, is one of them REALLY above the CPU HS/fan? If it is, then removing it would be a great idea. Also, I've found that if you have your computer in a hot room, it's best to have more exhaust then intake.

It really is right above the CPU hsf... I can't jusrt remove it though, there is a blowhole there. I've considered changing it into an exhaust and seeing how that works.

My apt is a little warmer... it's been around the 70's-80's during the day outside (it's F'in the end of Nov, and it's still 80°F outside!!!!! stupid Phoenix!). Inside, the avg room temp is 70-75°F. So it might be better do have that exhausting.

Once I get the new case side panel, my case prolly won't be quite as much of a convection oven! ;) I think losing that extra intake at the bottom will help too...

-=[bump]=-

Would it help at all to turn my top intake fan around, and make it an exhaust, possibly running a lower rpm????

make sure your TOP fan is sucking out as hot air rises - a top fan should never be blowing in / sucking in as it will blwo down hot air from the system already.

Mr.Guvernment said:
make sure your TOP fan is sucking out as hot air rises - a top fan should never be blowing in / sucking in as it will blwo down hot air from the system already.

Thanks! I'll have to give that a try when I've got some time. I just picked up another part-time job over the holidays. I'll be a busy kid! Not much time for playin w/ my lil rig... :-/

I have a Sp94 and my temps are 29c idle / 38c load.

Did you lap the HS? Also i see you installed the bracket flush with the back of your mb. I installed the cross plate with the rubber agaisn't the mb. Maybe i did it wrong.

DHunter said:
I have a Sp94 and my temps are 29c idle / 38c load.

Did you lap the HS? Also i see you installed the bracket flush with the back of your mb. I installed the cross plate with the rubber agaisn't the mb. Maybe i did it wrong.

No, I did install the rubber against the back of the mobo. I think if you install it w/ the metal flush w/ the mobo, you'd prolly end up damaging something...

Dart heres a link to the rubber fan grommets you requested.The link is for the heavy duty grommets.They also have a standard fan grommet.Don't forget to get longer screws for the HD grommets.Im not sure if longer screws are needed for the standard grommets,they are flat rubber washers. THE FANMAN:cool:

GROMMET LINK :D

Google fan grommets and choose who you want to buy them from.

archilochus said:
Dart heres a link to the rubber fan grommets you requested.The link is for the heavy duty grommets.They also have a standard fan grommet.Don't forget to get longer screws for the HD grommets.Im not sure if longer screws are needed for the standard grommets,they are flat rubber washers. THE FANMAN:cool:

GROMMET LINK :D

Google fan grommets and choose who you want to buy them from.

Sweet! Thanks arch. I might have to get me some o' these. Any idea if Fry's Electronics carries these?

Back