• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF!!! 53C load @ stock w/ SP-94...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
bfedorov11 said:
i didnt want to start a new thread so I thought I would just throw a question or two in about case airflow...

a) when trying to establish proper air flow, more intake than exhaust, do you consider the psu too? I have a Fortron FSP530-60GNA and it has 2 fans. I just have the stock kingwin case fans, 2 in and 1 out, rated at 32.4 cfm. Not sure of the psu fan specs.

I was gonna add another exhaust at the top of the case, so would i need another intake fan? or should i just not do this?

b) If I hookup mult fans to one power source on a fan contoller will they all still run @ 12v?
thanks

You should have no problem running most fans @ their full voltage on a controller. I just bought a Vantec Nexus about a month ago. It supports up to 18w per channel w/ 4 channels. Most any fan controller out right now should be able to do that. Your average 30-something CFM 80mm case fan only runs at about 7w. All your fans on the same power source should run fine, provided you've got a powerful enough PSU. In this case, a decent 350w PSU ought to be more than sufficient. I think you've got plenty of wattage in that Fortron that you mentioned.

where can i find out how much air the psu is moving out? Website and instructions said nothing about the fans. Should I just guestimate 30cfm?

Welp, I think I've made my final decision on my high powered 80mm fans.

I'll prolly end up with 3 Thermaltake Smart Fan II's. They do very well when compared to the Tornado's.

Stats:
- TT SF2 - 75.7 CFM @ 48 dBA - 4800 rpm
- V Tornado - 84.1 CFM @ 55.2 dBA - 5700 rpm

And just for kicks, here's what I'm using right now:
-Anted Blue LED - 34 CFM @ 30 dBA - 2600 rpm

The TT SF2 holds its own! If I were to run both @ full speed, SF2's only ~9 CFM lower than the Tornado, and it's close to half as loud. Although upgrading from my little "popcorn fans" (arch =P) will produce a noticable noise level jump, as the SF2 is almost 4 times louder than my Antec's are.

(Note: Where decibels are concerned, doubling the noise level adds 10 dBA. ie: 30 dBA is twice as loud as 20 dBA.)

Just cause I'm a sucker for feedback here, do you think the SF2's will be the ones to buy? Or do you think some Panaflo H1A's would work just as well?

-=[update]=-

Just picked up some Tt Smartfan 2's the other day w/ some Christmas money. I'll be installing them soon. I haven't ordered the fan duct yet. So I'm thinking of leaving the Antec blue LED fan on the side intake position for now, and replacing my Anted 92mm fan on my SP-94 w/ the extra SF2.

I'll post some results after I install my new fans :D

Yay triple post!

Well, I installed the Smart Fan 2's into my system. The only real difference they seem have to made is making my rig louder. My temps are staying the same... WTF???

One is @ the front intake, another is @ rear exhaust, and the third, for now is on my SP-94. I haven't picked up that fan duct that I was planning on yet. Do I even need to... it doesn't look like it's going to make a difference. Doubling my case airflow sure as hell didn't... These new fans @ full blast are only dropping my temps by 1°C or so. WTF am I doing wrong??? :mad:

I think I am just doomed to have high temps. I'm running all my fans @ full blast w/ the door off, and a table-top (12 inch) fan blowing into my case. THAT setup has only dropped my system temp to 28°C. It's only 1°C cooler than w/ the side panel on. The cpu is still idling @ 39°C! Something aint right here... BTW, it's 71°F in this room right now.

Last edited:
Dart,The only thing I can think of at this point is your cotact on the CPU to HS. I know you have redone the install a couple of times. Is your case clean,of dust and dirt? Are your fan blades clean.(new) ! Have you tried the grain of rice, wiggle on the AS 5.
Or did you do the spread technique?I'm trying to think of some answers.How cold does it get at night there? What are your temps at a lower ambient? You must be getting a wrong temp reading . Do you have access to a remote thermal probe? Although your case or system temp is pretty good. They have a 2 display temp monitor at sidewindercomputers.I think its about $15.00 before shipping. THE FANMAN:cool:

PS: Turn that AIM on once in a while! :D

I just did about 15 - 20 min of stress testing (simultaneously defragging, running prime95, and doing high res image manipulation in Photoshop). @ 100% cpu usage, the system temperature never broke 30°C. The CPU topped out @ 48°C. That's a 4°C drop from before (~52°C).

This setup seems to be a little better under high stress situations. I'm still going to wait till I get that fan duct to OC though. Eliminating that dead spot on the HSF will prolly shave off another degree or so in 100% cpu usage...

Arch: I did the grain o' rice technique on my sp-94 and my AS5. Right now, it's in the mid 40's at night here. It sticks around 70°C in my apt though.

My system is very clean right now... I just cleaned it out this morning. No dust on my fans at all right now...

Last edited:
What are you using to monitor your temps? The 4° drop may be due to a drop in the ambient temps though. You said your room temp was around 75° before. :D I was eluding to seeing what your temps would be if you had some lower ambient temps like 66° F ? THE FANMAN:cool:

archilochus said:
What are you using to monitor your temps? The 4° drop may be due to a drop in the ambient temps though. You said your room temp was around 75° before. :D I was eluding to seeing what your temps would be if you had some lower ambient temps like 66° F ? THE FANMAN:cool:

I've been using mbm5 to monitor my temps. I was figuring the drop in load temps to be caused by my steady ambient temps. I was pleasantly surprised when during 20 min striat of 100% cpu usage, my ambient case temp never went above 30°C. :)

Nah... it's been sticking around the 70° range lately. It's cooled down considerably here in the past week or two. And we've got our heater set @ 70 right now. I tried running the old setup @ night w/ the window open. It did drop my temps by a couple degrees. I think my ambient temp hit 26-27°C and my cpu dropped to ~38°C

I've got a case with a clear side panel. I plan to cut a hole and mount a 120mm fan with a duct directly over the cpu. 120mm fans are great because you get low noise, high pressure and good cfm.
I experimented with a cardboard fan duct (120mm->92mm) using a 120cfm sunon fan. That dropped the cpu temp almost 6C with the slk947u compared to the 50cfm 92mm fan I was using before.

Good luck w/ that Mustanley... you'd better start scouting out places to get extra plexi-glass for your window. Typically, the windows are pretty brittle accrylic. They crack very easily. Mine cracked pretty bad when I tried to cut a new hole in there, but luckily I was able to replace it.

Ok Dart, Heres the link to the pics of the SP-94 fan clips after they are cut.See the first set of pics on the 1st page of this thread.Like I told you in the PM I did the mod this morning, Saturday Jan 3rd 2004 @ 5:45 am CST.Temp testing is in order now.I'll let you know the results. THE FANMAN:cool:

FAN CLIP LINK

Forget about the 1st link that I forgot to post.This pic is better.
Its the last pic posted at 9:15 AM CST by Voodoomelon

Last edited:
Mustanley said:
I've got a case with a clear side panel. I plan to cut a hole and mount a 120mm fan with a duct directly over the cpu. 120mm fans are great because you get low noise, high pressure and good cfm.
I experimented with a cardboard fan duct (120mm->92mm) using a 120cfm sunon fan. That dropped the cpu temp almost 6C with the slk947u compared to the 50cfm 92mm fan I was using before.

You mean like this? :D I just put a duct so that it just clears the HS fan and draws in the cool outer-case air and it dropped my temps ~5°C. I only went with 80mm as that was the size duct I had (snagged it out of a totally trashed car at the scrapyard...zoink!). I did the same on my old pc, except I removed the stock HS fan and put a large rotary blower on the side (6" circumference, 80mm out; it was the defroster from a newer VW...quiet and oh the CFMs). I had no problem cutting the hole with a hole saw, although I am blessed to have quite an assortment of them, up to 5".

duct.jpg

^^^ Looks pretty close to what I'm doing. I just ordered my fan duct from svc.com today. I'll be installing it on a pre-existing 80mm hole on the side of my case, and attaching it to a Thermaltake SmartFan 2. On my hsf, I'll stick a fan shroud w/ the fan duct attached. Nice cool undisturbed, outside-the-case air hitting my SP-94 @ 75 CFM. :D

Hey Dart, whens the big day? When you get your stuff! Were you able to get the 2 Prime 95's going? Anyway check out that thread I linked you to. It might help in your future project. THE FANMAN:cool:

Hopefully by Wed this week! I can't wait... it's going to look neat-o... and help my temps out too (hopefully) ;)

-=[update]=-

I just installed the fan duct today. It took a little finagling to get it on right, but it works fine! The weird thing is that my temps went up a little bit after I put it on. Basically, because of the duct, I lost a bit of intake airflow coming into the top portion of my case... Although, my wife has been running the heater a little warmer the past day or two. I'm suspecting that my 1-2°c increase in temps is due to the heater running more often...

Well i just purchased a TT volcano 7+ and from my CPU being 66C at load with the stock fan... this new fan i installed today with AS5 dropped the temps 20C! My CPU doesn't get any hotter then 46C at load. I just installed the HSF like 2 hours ago. SO its not the settling part thats the problem.

Back