• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF!!! 53C load @ stock w/ SP-94...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
-=[bump]=-

Update: I finally got a little time to work on my rig today. I cut the fan grid off of my rear exhaust. I've noticed a 1-2°C drop in my system temps. I think it may be time to pick up some higher powered fans. Prolly either Thermaltake SF2 or Panaflo. I'll prolly end up getting 2, one for the rear exhaust and one for the front intake.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

BTW: My system temps are idling around 27-29°C ATM.

DART, I thought you fell in,,,I found some nice 92mm Panaflo U1A
fans at www.digi-key.com enter P9760-ND.If you need 80mm fans get the Panaflo U1A And control on controller.Get some fans strong enough that you can turn them up if needed.Try newegg.
THE FANMAN:cool:

Im a believer in 92mm plus fan sizes, for the same CFM you get less loise or for the same noise you get much more CFM (or drop some noise and gain some cfm). you definitly need more air flow and what your doing is helping but you could do much better with bigger fans. and you cant just add fans, you have to add them smartly.

for a low noise high cfm setup you might want to try a 120mm intake in the front, but then you'd have to mod the front of the case but its really not that hard. then along with that id use a 92mm intake over the cpu. with those 2 fans being reativly high power id use a meduim power 92mm intake some where else like over the vidcard. then for exaust a 92mm blowhole and regular 80mm fan and of course the psu fan(120mm). id find some fans for you but i dont know how much noise you can tolerate.

so thats 120,92,92 intake and 120,92,80. that would leave a sligly positive case pressure witch is the best. and the 80mm being the exaust fan next to the hsf.

the last setup you posted is getting better. the 2 84cfm fans balance out then that leaves the 120 and 80mm...that leaves an imbalance of about 30-50cfm. I'd find the part nubmer on your fan and look it up. if you have time try useing the 30cfm fan as the exaust next to the cpu and then both 84cfms for intake. should be an interesting experiment.

GL~RCTG

Thanks for the advice guys!

Arch: Didn't fall in... just been really busy. I was working 2 jobs for a couple weeks. 30+ hrs a week selling Christmas trees @ a tree lot. Yay extra money!!! :D

I'm going to stick w/ 80mm fans. I know I'll get better CFM and lower dBA w/ 92 or 120mm fans, but I don't really want to do any more modding to my case.

So right now, I've got 1 80mm 34cfm front intake, 1 80mm 30-something rear exhaust, 1 80mm 34cfm side intake, and a 120mm psu fan exhaust. I cut the fan grids off of both the intake and exhaust placements ont he case.

I'm thinking of replacing the generic 80mm exhaust w/ an 80mm Tornado. @ full blast I can get ~ 84cfm. I'll prolly pick up a Tt SF2 or a Panaflo for the front intake too. Do you think that will improve my temps?

I've heard that in a warm climate, like Phoenix, AZ, it's sometimes better to have slightly negative case pressure, since the ambient temp of the room is already warm. My apt's room temperature is sitting around 75°F right now. Sometimes as high as 85°F in the summer months...

Let me know what you guys think. I'll prolly have a little more time to work on it this Sunday.

YellowDart, have you tried reversing the fan on the heatsink so it sucks air through it?? Tried it recently and it seemed to work quiet nicely on my setup. Even more so then the other way when I crank the fan speed up. Might want to give it a shot.

I thought about it. I could try reversing the hsf and change the intake into exhaust on the side panel. Wouldn't that be too big of a difference in airflow ratio??? I'd have 3 exhaust : 1 intake. I guess I could try it and see how it works.

hmm, heres a word of advice...

see the airflow in your head, know where the air comes in, gets heated up, and leaves...

ive got 1 CM fan in the front of my case, and one CM fan on the side, ive got 2 generic led fans on exhaust duty, and the PSU is blowing out...

this means, air comes in from the front, gets whirly because of the side intake, then enters the CPU, CPU blows air out in direction of rear exhaust, 50% hot air is being sucked out immediatly, other 50% ges cooled a bit because of the side fan...

ive got ambient temps of 30°C but my idle temp is 33°C, there is decent circulation to keep the air on the move... visualize the air as it moves through your case...

from front-low to high-rear... maybe you can show use some piccies of your case?

btw:
side intake @ 12v
front intake @5v (havent removed grills yet, so the fan would just suck itself to death...)
PSU exhaust @ standard... not much, zalman silent PSU
top rear exhaust @ 12v, will suck out air as fastas possible
lower rear exhaust @ 5v, wont suck it out as fast, but it will suck it out :)

the reason i made the top exhaust fan 12v is because hot air rises ;)

ps, i dont have all fans @ 12v because somehow my 400w zalman PSU cant deliver enough volts on the 12v line i guess...

Dart,It shouldn't be that big of mod to put a 92mm front and rear.
Get the Panaflo,s ,that I link you to above.There $8.25 ea, Get 3 and put 1 on your HS.Get you a 3 watt/ 25 ohm rheostat at Radio Shack and wire it in for the HSF.The 92mm's aren't that much bigger.Slight trim job.You keep fighting it.Give in,mod it DOOD!!!!
THE FANMAN:cool:

PS: Checked out the MODDING XASER III,,thread lately?? :D

Sorry dood... Me no moddy no more. =P Primarily because if I can accomplish similar system temps w/ the setup I mentioned above, then why go to the extra trouble to save a few dBA?

I think I'm kinda burnt out on modding my case ATM. 'Sides, I really don't have the money to back me up if I screw up any major projects. Basically, I just want to get my system temps down enough to where I feel comfortable oc'ing my cpu. After that, I'll focus on upgrading my video card! :D

My main ? is, do you think adding an 80mm Tornado on my rear exhaust and either a Thermaltake SmartFan2 or Panaflo for my front intake will help my temps?

NO.I really think the 80mm fans are to small.See, I have double 80mm fans.You need to go up to the 92mm fans,because you can only run 1 fan instead of 2 like me.Dart ,I would not steer you wrong. As high as your ambient temp is all the time(ambient=room temp)..You just need to do a slight trim out for the 92mm's to work. THE FANMAN:cool:

PS: My ambient is 67° F ****** CPU temp: 32.8° C ( Folding )
Fans are NOT on full .

its really easy to enlarge the 80mm holes, and you dont want to deal with the insane noise from the tornado.

heres some options:

a common fan : generic fan

92mm low range fan: low range fan

92mm mid range fan: 92 mid range

92mm high range:
high range

the high range fan is another tornado but it puts out 40cfm more for 2 more dba. if you got either one you'd need the 7v mod or a rheo bus. im going to make one for my computer after christmas (ill have money then) and if you want ill make one for you too.

the other fans also only have a few more dba then your generic fans but much more air flow. im starting to mod my case with 92mm fans and its helped alot. i also have 120mm fans i may put in too.

in your area you need all the cfm you can get but like i said before you have to place it carefully.

have you though about a duct over the cpu? using a 92 or 80mm fan ducted to the HSF? it would get rid of the dead air right under the hub and draw air right from the out side air, and then you would need less powerful fans (you only have the vid card, nb and ram as major heat sources) and therefore less noise.

as with what you have now, can you try using all the 80mm fans as intake, and running the 120mm at full speed. oh and can you find out the PN of that 120mm fan in the PS?

im me on aim some time~RCTG

Here's the pn for my PSU. P/N: 9PA3501609

I'm still going to stick w/ the 80mm's. ATM, I don't really have the resources to mod my case significantly. Would some sort of 80-92mm adaptor work well enough? I've got the space for it on the rear exhaust to slap one of those in there.

The front intake has to stay 80mm for now. There are no screw holes, the fan is held on by an 80mm bracket. I prolly won't have the time to drill holes for a couple months.

I have thought of ducting. If I can find one that's pretty cheap, and will fit an SP-94 hsf, I'd definitely consider it. ;)

Edit: Something like this.

What if I did something w/ the duct I linked to above. Maybe have it duct cool air in from the rear, and exhaust air from my side panel? Or vice versa? Would it make much difference??? Of course these fans would be higher cfm 80mm fans. The Sunon's that RTC posted look pretty nice. ;)

Dart,we need more cool intake air than exhaust.If you use a adapter you still have the same size hole.ie,restriction! Ducting may help,but it won't cool the over all picture.You need some flow bro.You have to change the air out or thru the case at a large volume,to dissapate the heat.Check out my thread,for my new pics on my idea for my issues.THE FANMAN:cool:

archilochus said:
Dart,we need more cool intake air than exhaust.If you use a adapter you still have the same size hole.ie,restriction! Ducting may help,but it won't cool the over all picture.You need some flow bro.You have to change the air out or thru the case at a large volume,to dissapate the heat.Check out my thread,for my new pics on my idea for my issues.THE FANMAN:cool:

Thanks for the strait answer dood! That's exactly what I needed! :D

I've been doing a little reading and brainstorming today. Haven't bought any new components yet for my cooling rev#3. Here's what I'm thinking though.

- 3x Tt SF2 (75.7 CFM) One for the front intake, one for side intake, and one for rear exhaust.
- This hooked up to the side intake linked to a fan shroud attached to my SP-94.

I know I need to move more air through my case, but I'm pretty limited here. I figure the higher cfm fans will help there. I'm also figuring that "popcorn fan" (arch ;) ) sitting on my hsf is probably getting severely robbed of air by my 120mm PSU fan (the fins of my HSF are sitting vertically). The duct would supply air @ a high volume to my hsf unhindered by turbulence created by my PSU/rear exhaust fans. Also, by removing the fan on the HSF, and using the duct in a strait line from the side blowhole, I'll be getting fresh outside air w/o any dead area in the middle of the HSF.

I can draw up a diagram later if you would like... but let me know what input you've all got!

You already drew it when you descibed it above.Thats a good way to go about the prob.Try to keep the duct as straight as possible,as not to hinder air flow.Experiment with various setups till you get the one right for your particular setup.It takes time to get going in the right direction.Test,Test,Test..I can still improve on my setup,but will take time to evaluate my options.The main thing is to start trying diff.combo's to see which one is right for you. THE FANMAN:cool:

Kewl! Thanks for the input! I'll get working on it after Christmas. I would have bought some of the parts yesterday, but I had to get my wife a Christmas present.

If I were to do the duct, it would run a strait line to the HSF. That side blowhole sits right in line w/ the CPU. The duct should give me better cooling. I think part of my current problem is that the PSU fan is robbing the HSF of air. The duct ought to fix that. I also figure having ~140 CFM entering the case is a lot better than the 68 CFM I've got right now. ;)

i didnt want to start a new thread so I thought I would just throw a question or two in about case airflow...

a) when trying to establish proper air flow, more intake than exhaust, do you consider the psu too? I have a Fortron FSP530-60GNA and it has 2 fans. I just have the stock kingwin case fans, 2 in and 1 out, rated at 32.4 cfm. Not sure of the psu fan specs.

I was gonna add another exhaust at the top of the case, so would i need another intake fan? or should i just not do this?

b) If I hookup mult fans to one power source on a fan contoller will they all still run @ 12v?
thanks

you always consider the PSU fan in your case you only count one fan from it.

no you want equil cfm entering an exiting idealy, but for dust reasons you need a few more cfm in then out.

B-depending on what you have it set to and as long as all the fans dont over load the contoler yea.

~RCTG

Back