• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTH? What do you think happened?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PicodeGallo

This new PC seems to be cursed. It's a different problem every week. This weeks problems is:

I'm playing The Last Remnant because it's the only game that won't crash and out of the blue the entire PC shuts down. No warning, no nothing, just nothing. Restart and no bios, no beep, no picture...but the fans are spinning and the HDD's and CD/DVD Rom is working! Since I've been having problems with RAM, I messed with that. Nothing. Tried the MemOK! just for kicks. Nothing. Cleared out the CMOS and presto, I'm in business. I adjusted BIOS settings, loaded up Win7 and it picked up my old HDD that initially didn't boot upon PC build. It booted to windows. Wrong drive. Rebooted, changed the boot order again. Booted again and I get the wonderful BOOTMGR error. Fixed that and here I am.

My questions are: I can understand the boot files getting corrupted (happens all the time--4x a year is all the time for me), but is that enough to just shut the PC down while you're in the middle of something? How can I prevent this in the future?

What are your temps? Does this happen at stock? PSU is meh... about time to check that out maybe?

Temps are great, not even close to being hot. There is a mild OC, CPU only & tested stable. The PSU was actually one of the best back when I bought it some 6 years ago or so. I have been wondering about it and would like to use it on a HTPC that only does movies and music.

The other problem I mentioned--games crashing--seem to be on this system and they are bad. The exception code for all games is 0xc0000005. I keep my computer clean, meaning I don't install a lot of programs other than games. Drivers are up to date and hardware seems fine (after a bad RAM stick). I can't figure this one out.

0xc0000005 Stop error:

These two come to mind:

How are you checking RAMs?

Leaking power supply capacitors?

Try running diagnostic software on your hard drive to see if you have some bad sectors that are corrupting you Operating System.

I've already checked the HDD and it checks out good. This is the second set of RAM from Mushkin (RMA'd the first). I haven't had the time to run Memtest yet. After fixing my PC, it seems to be running better--I've noticed some subtle things that seem to work the way they are supposed to. The only thing left is the PSU, providing the RAM clears testing, and I'll be pissed if it doesn't.

I was looking at the new Corsair TX units. 750 or 850? Figure 3-5 HDD's to go along with the parts listed.

Back