• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-90 vs XP-120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think the xp120 is great and at the same noise level setup probably outperforms the xp90. It cools my hammer at 1.75 volts- and it sure is kicking out tons of heat. I've never seen a heatsink throw so much heat all over the place its like a heater.

I read about it lowering the system temps too... I think that really depends, if the xp120 cools your cpu so well that it allows you to OC it very high it starts to kick a ton of heat around the case. Plus I have a geforce 6800 which puts out alot of heat so, my system temp is pretty high.

Last edited:
ven0m said:
Personally I consider this as good thing, as I think it's better to dump this heat rather to keep it in CPU. Good ventilation is a must for performance cooling of course.

While I don't disagree, the vast majority of people don't have enough exhausting to get rid of the heat fast enough. This is especially bad on the prescotts and high clocked A64s, where the heat load is already quite large. When you are dumping all that hot air on an already hot power circuitry, it doesn't do much good.

i have the xp120 and a 3 blade delta 142cfm? and that thing keeps a presshot 3.4 at 45c and a a64 3500+ at 36c the only things bad about the heatsink is that to get my delta on it i hadto cut up the fan because it got in the way of the fan clips and when u put that thing in or take it out one of the clips always manages to get caut and pull ur cpu out of the socket 45 degrees tilt while pulling the cpu out once on my 3.4 ouch!!!! and it did not have ont bent pin? thats y i havent taken out my athlon 64 since the day i got it im to scared but however this heat sink cools as cood as a some wter coling rigs ive seen verry good buy i would get it over a xp90 hands down

dude, can you seriously use some punctuation... i don't wanna flame or anything (OCForums isn't like that) but thats hard to read =P

anyway, i would go with the XP-120 if i had the mobo... i mean... seriously, put it this way.

Get the ST or GT Toyota Celica? The GT has the same features of the ST, and more horsepower. It doesn't cost much more either! Same sized car, better preformance, still within price range! Great!

So, why would you get the ST if you can get the GT?? (Sorry im a Celica lover, just had to use that as an analogy =P)

hahahah yea... i know i cant wait to order it.. im selling my old setup for about 150 so when i get that is when im gonna get hte cooler

Mud said:
iam still not sure if xp-120 can fit on my mobo.. but logically it doesnt when u think of the size of it.. my mobo is 8ANXP-D.. any1 will gimmi good news of it?

I believe the Gigabyte boards require you to remove the plastic backplate and replace it with a metal one (costs extra)

I have have both xp-90 and 120. Illl take the xp-120 any day over the 90. My Panaflo 120 M1A pushes more cfm with less noise. I had only minor incompat issues on my neo2 plat board - just had to slightly push a cap over to make room for the heatpipe.

cmitchellfly said:
I have have both xp-90 and 120. Illl take the xp-120 any day over the 90. My Panaflo 120 M1A pushes more cfm with less noise. I had only minor incompat issues on my neo2 plat board - just had to slightly push a cap over to make room for the heatpipe.

That is also a big concern for me. The capacitors already snugly surround the current heatsink and thermalright does not inclide my motherboard on the compatible list.

CPU1.jpg

InteriorMain.jpg

Interior1.jpg

There's my problem in a nutshell and Excuse the peepy-creepy * Wonders if anyone actually knows what one of those is? *

QijdiDeOr said:
That is also a big concern for me. The capacitors already snugly surround the current heatsink and thermalright does not inclide my motherboard on the compatible list.

There's my problem in a nutshell and Excuse the peepy-creepy * Wonders if anyone actually knows what one of those is? *

What is your mobo? - I cant tell from the pics. May want to put your rig in your sig

wow, you REALLY want to clean up those wires dude... like, twist-tie em up and push em somewhere it won't block your fan's airflow... though that is much neater than my case before i cleaned it up...

and then get an xp-120 since it should fit your mobo, since its LGA775

Ven0m said:
P4: http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_support_faq_motherboard_xp120_p4.htm
A64: http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_support_faq_motherboard_xp120_k8.htm

Unfortunatly, there's no such mobo on list, but there are some somethingNXPsomething that don't work.

yes xp-120 isnt compatible with 8KNXP becuz of the DPS slot (dual power system) and my mobo has the same feature with a more bugging size.. look lol

ga8anxpd_full.jpg
ga8anxpd_dps.jpg
ga8anxpd_hp.jpg

cmitchellfly said:
I believe the Gigabyte boards require you to remove the plastic backplate and replace it with a metal one (costs extra)

mine is LGA775

I would deffinatly go with the XP-90 because it's not so bulky and it gets the job done like a champ with alittle AS5. Running idle at 31C and load at 44C

Back