• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-90 vs XP-120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Anyone use the XP-120 with an Asus P4C800-E mobo? I am using an ECS but the Asus is on my shopping list. I would like to get the 120, but on their web sites it says it needs slight modding to the caps. If its not going to work I will go ahead and get the XP-90 instead.

EspElement said:
wats up with that xp-90 c thing? ur upset cause u ordered a xp-120?
Im upset because the XP-90C is solid copper and not aluminum. Thats why <assuming they make a 120 version>

Sentential said:
Im upset because the XP-90C is solid copper and not aluminum. Thats why <assuming they make a 120 version>

Copper version of XP-120 would probably weight a ton. I think you could safely expect weight increase of about 3x.

neonblingbling said:
hehe :D
I usually go extreme, but in this case:
copper desnity: 8920g/dm^3
aluminum density: 2700g/dm^3
copper to aluminum density ratio: ~3.3
As base of cooler and pipes would weitght the same, multiplier of 3 would be probably pretty accurate. So if they simply replaced alu with copper in XP-120 it would weight around 1000-1100g and no more than 1220g. In my opinion it's too much for a non-DIY cooler.

I think that we can't expect such monsters for ATX standard.

a 3x increase in weight would make a difference because your mobo will be sitting vertical and the weight of the heatsink will generate a torque on the processor due to its height.

it may not make a difference, i have no idea how much torque these mobo's can take at the socket before it rips your chipset out, or places undue stress on the board. :shrug:

word of the day: moment arm

I betchu people WILL find a way around this... Lay the case on the side... Case mounting solutions... But I am not sure if Thermalright would think this small population would create a worthy demand of them.

Yes, I agree it is unresonable. But there's Electron Chaser around somewhere with his 200 CFM delta on his XP-120.... :rolleyes:

QijdiDeOr said:
MSI 915p Combo Motherboard - Sorry still new here and haven't gotten around to a Sig as of yet.
I really dont understand why you are concerned with spacing. It should fit just fine without an issue. Just look at my AS8

IMG_1880.jpg

twinturbo454 said:
actually i've read of people using a 80mm to 120mm adapter to put a 120mm fan on an xp-90
That would be awefully tricky seeing how they have their fan clips configuerd. Im not saying its impossible because nothing is. I'd have have to see it first lol

Back