• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp or Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ztdesigninc

Hi guys,

what would be better as my future operator,

the pc i have is running 4gb DDR3 ram, celeron dual core 2.50Ghz, Geforce GT 210 1024 GDDR3 graphic card, GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2PV GEN3 Motherboard and a 450w CiT PSU

I love xp as its sooooo simple and needs less power but is it time i upgrade and embrace windows 7, more importantly what happens to the graphics and power for games - at max i would only play civi 4

Cheers for any advice!

Unless you need the backwards compatibility of XP, I wouldn't even think of running it. Windows 7 has better memory management and seems to run better on old systems. I have only seen a handful of products that simply don't work on Windows 7.

64bit for sure. I've only run into two programs that didn't work on 64bit, and they were both outdated proprietary programs that had newer versions that did work with it.

Thanks for your help, and just to be sure my system would be fine running this or should i upgrade something?

That is more than enough to run Windows 7. I ran a HTPC on a single core Pentium 4 Dell with 1gb of RAM. ;)

Fantastic - I know this might be off the topic but im looking to do my owner server through apache and windows any advice - as you need to keep your pc on for 24 hours a day )cooling

I wouldn't run a web server on your home connection, unless it is for internal use only. I'm not sure about ISP's over the pond, but the ones here don't like you running your own servers. Add in security risks, and it isn't worth it. You can get cheap web hosting easily.

Cooling isn't a problem if it doesn't overheat normally, unless your ambient temperatures are getting much higher than normal.

I know this might sound kinda radical but if i started my own ISP (this is quite easy in the uk) would this be worth thinking about?

I know this might sound kinda radical but if i started my own ISP (this is quite easy in the uk) would this be worth thinking about?

It would be easier and MUCH cheaper to just buy hosting. Basic web hosting is dirt cheap. There are also cloud solutions such as RackSpace, Google App Engine, Amazon EC2 to name a few. They offer more flexibility, if you need it, at reasonable rates.

+1 to Windows 7 64 bit.

+2 to for having a site hosted. With hosting so cheap, and no worries of keeping the server function, maintenance, added electricity to the bill and bandwidth issues. Just go with hosting.

If you have a large enough hard drive, then partition in it and install Windows XP 32-Bit on one partition and Win7 64-Bit on the other. That way you get old hardware compatibility with Windows XP should you need it plus its simplicity and you also get to use the advantages of 64-Bit Windows 7.

For anyone else reading this, make sure you install Windows XP first, then Windows 7.

If you have a large enough hard drive, then partition in it and install Windows XP 32-Bit on one partition and Win7 64-Bit on the other. That way you get old hardware compatibility with Windows XP should you need it plus its simplicity and you also get to use the advantages of 64-Bit Windows 7.

For anyone else reading this, make sure you install Windows XP first, then Windows 7.

Thanks for that advice - i think i'll go this route!

Unless you need the backwards compatibility of XP, I wouldn't even think of running it. Windows 7 has better memory management and seems to run better on old systems. I have only seen a handful of products that simply don't work on Windows 7.

This many times over. Windows 7 (this is my experience, your mileage may vary) runs faster on the same specs. 7's memory management and task scheduler is light years ahead of XP. It also scales to the hardware better whereas XP is limited by it's age combined with it's lack of scalability.

Back