• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 64bit or 32bit Windows 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo668

A friend wants me to help him fresh reinstall his notebook. I haven't seen his notebook yet but I know it's a few years old and is running Windows XP 32bit.

I have a few valid copies of Windows 7, both 32bit and 64bit, salvaged from now dead Windows 7 computers. I was thinking of upgrading his notebook to Win 7 but I don't know whether installing a 64bit OS would be a good idea or whether I should just stick to 32bit. The only reason why I want to use 64bit is because all my computers now are 64bit and it would be easier for me to support him or help him update down the road as I would have to do the same thing for all my other computers.

I have tried installing a 64bit Win 7 on an obsolete computer (a very old HP with Pentium D and 4GB ram, of which only 3.25GB can be used) and there doesn't seem to be a problem.

So, should I install 64bit or 32bit? Thanks.

My exact sentiments. I was just worried about hardware limitations, or if there is any between a 32bit and 64bit.

The CPU needs to support 64-bit instructions, which is something that came out a loooong time ago. The only reason I would see to go 32-bit is if you wanted to save the 64bit licenses for PCs that you know would need more than 4GB of RAM.

Thanks Knufire. I think I know what to do. If his cpu supports 64-bit instructions I'll use 64bit Win 7, or else I'll stick to 32bit. I'm not worried about the licenses as I seem to have an endless supply of dead computers (mine and my friends').

If it doesn't, you'll know right away, as you'll get an error message saying that the CPU is 32-bit only before you can even boot the installation CD.

Great. Then I'll just start off with a 64bit installation disc and see if his notebook will let me continue. Thanks again Knufire.

No problem. :thup: If you go to the top of the thread and drop down the "Thead Tools" menu, you can mark the thread as solved, it helps with forum organization :).

The only difference is with 64-Bit you can use more than 4GB of RAM. That's it.

So good for multi tasking, but it's unlikely any individual program will use up more than 4GB of RAM.

So it comes down to compatibility with hardware and software. 32-Bit is of course, more compatible. But you don't get to use more than 4GB of RAM with it - IF you need it.

Back