• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 98 to Windows 95??? OMG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krome

My buddy had his HP (P166 MMX) Win95 upgraded to Win 98, now he wants to go back to 95, how do we do this???

I installed a new "buslink" cd drive, and everytime that I try to "restore" his system, it says..."starting windows 95", then it says "cd device not found" . I installed the drivers from the diskette provided with the CD ROM.

Why does it say "starting windows 95" It is running on Windows 98?

Why won't his pc "accept" the new CD ROM?

It's very cunning - on Microsofts part

You can upgrade no prob, but Downgrading is not an option.

You'll need a complete re-install I'm afraid.

Sorry to sound so dismal about it, but hey, when you have 95% of the market, who wants to let you downgrade?

Format the HD, and get a hold of Win95 from somewhere and reinstall it. This is the only way I know of downgrading Windows.

JigPu

As others have said you can not back track on a OS install. A format and reinstall is the only option. I am not sure about the CD Driver problem. A fresh install and drivers would help greatly.

Maestro

Yeah, a wipe(format) and fresh install of Win95 is indicated. You have to install the DOS driver for your CD-ROM drive(and reboot) before your CD-ROM "exists," as far as Win95 is concerned. Win98 does this automagically.

Also, when you format the partition that 95 is gonna be on, use a Win95 boot or rescue disk. Remember to use the "format c:/s" option. The "/s" switch will get you in trouble with Win98. But it's mandatory with Win95.

OSR2 needs a lot of patches. For instance, for USB and Winsock2. I dunno where you go to get the patches any more. If you're brave enough to use MS's site, they are probably all there. If you can find them!

how do we format the HD?

Mind you, im helping a friend out... and since I started posting here 2 months ago, I have become his "go to" guy. Thanks for the replies guys.

On a different note...

I have a P2-400MHz, 256 MB RAM, running on Windows 95, what would be the benifits of me "upgrading" to Win 98/2K/Me/XP?? I love using Win 95, is it really "outdated"?

I haven't read Daniel's tutorial, but from the quality of the other stuff of his I've read I'd bet its good.

As far changing oses:
9x- (95/98(se)/ME) I don't think much of it, unless you're a gamer. If you ARE a gamer then 95 OSR2 or 98se. 95osr2 and 98se are about equal-98 has better usb support though.
My opinion.

Win2K- I am closer to be a MS fan from this piece of software than anything else they've done. It is fast, stable has good hardware support and I've had little trouble with it on the 4 pc's I've loaded it onto so far. Including an AMD 450 with 256 mb ram.
Check your hardware/games though- compatability is NOT as good as 9x. Speed and stability are worlds apart though, and Win2K is the clear winner ther in my book.

Win XP- Way too new! It usually takes MS a year on the market to finish Beta testing! Not to mention some of the privacy issues that are still pending from what I hear.

Have fun.

Back