• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-X58A-UD3R goesnt even get to POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Argh, damn mobo.

Its 50% 50% if it finds my 12GB RAM or only 8GB when booting. Im going to RMA this board.

Did you try this 12 Gigs of memory is only supported at 800-1333Mhz. Some users can run 1600Mhz successfully with some voltage tweaking but 1333Mhz is the max supported speed using 12 gigs on a X58 board.:soda:

Did you try this 12 Gigs of memory is only supported at 800-1333Mhz. Some users can run 1600Mhz successfully with some voltage tweaking but 1333Mhz is the max supported speed using 12 gigs on a X58 board.:soda:

Well, I haven't OC yet. My plan was to run it at default for at few weeks, to see it if ran stable before OC.

The not so funny part is if I see mem-test at POST to only go to 8GB, I hit the reset button and tada, 12GB.

I guess ill have to try to tweak it in the bios now, thanks.

Well, I haven't OC yet. My plan was to run it at default for at few weeks, to see it if ran stable before OC.

The not so funny part is if I see mem-test at POST to only go to 8GB, I hit the reset button and tada, 12GB.

I guess ill have to try to tweak it in the bios now, thanks.

if you you are still able to get a refund from where you purchased the mother board i advise you to do it. it is only a matter of time before your motherboard no longer functions and gigabyte will not replace it. if you look around the internet you will find that your situation is not uncommon. some have even had their processors fried by a gigabyte x58 motherboard. i dont think intel will replace a processor that was cooked by a defective gigabyte board.

I am baffled. Spank me and call me a noob, but this doesn't make any sense.

Memory: 1066Mhz v1.5 (auto)
Found RAM: 8GB - 12 GB
Boots: 5 - 5

Memory: 1333Mhz v1.5 (auto)
Boots: 7 - 3

Memory: 1333Mhz v1.64 (manual)
Boots: 7 - 3

Memory: 1600Mhz v1.65 (extreme profile)
Boots: 0 - 10

I guess ill run with 1600Mhz the next few days, to see if it reverts to its retarded state.

if you you are still able to get a refund from where you purchased the mother board i advise you to do it. it is only a matter of time before your motherboard no longer functions and gigabyte will not replace it. if you look around the internet you will find that your situation is not uncommon. some have even had their processors fried by a gigabyte x58 motherboard. i dont think intel will replace a processor that was cooked by a defective gigabyte board.

That doesnt sound good...

Im think about returning it at get the rev. 2. Does that have the same problems?

That doesnt sound good...

Im think about returning it at get the rev. 2. Does that have the same problems?

i dont have any experience with rev 2.0, but i am certain that if it you get it and it fails while under warranty gigabyte will not replace it. this is just from my personal experience of owning the rev1.0 $210 doorstop and reading the rants of others on forums. there are other threads in this forum that i and others have gone into detail about this. bottom line is that gigabyte products are defective and their customer service is aweful.

i dont have any experience with rev 2.0, but i am certain that if it you get it and it fails while under warranty gigabyte will not replace it. this is just from my personal experience of owning the rev1.0 $210 doorstop and reading the rants of others on forums. there are other threads in this forum that i and others have gone into detail about this. bottom line is that gigabyte products are defective and their customer service is aweful.

Ah ok. So what X58 would you recommend?

Ah ok. So what X58 would you recommend?

anything but gigabyte.

i dont know. i replaced my gigabyte doorstop with an evga. asus seems like a good brand as well.

if you buy from somewhere like newegg, make sure you focus on the bad customer reviews. if they all are saying similar things then you know that there is something wrong with the design. most of the good reviews for the ga-x58a-ud3r read like they were written by a gigabyte sales rep.

what i like about evga is that they have a pretty good forum and tech support that seems to work with people which contrasts gigabyte which will tell you all other hardware except the motherboard is to blame. i havent done an rma with evga yet though so i cant describe that process. but hey this evga mobo has lasted longer than 5 weeks so evga already beat gigabyte in that arena.

*edit
this is the response i got from gigabyte about the condition of my gigabyte motherboard after i recieved it from rma.

"All boards passing through our RMA warranty department are tested for factory settings. If your returned board still has the same issues, it may be one of your components causing the problem. Please contact our Technical Support for by phone 626-854-9338 option 3 for further help in troubleshooting."

they just say that other components are to blame and pass you off down the line to the next rep so he can tell you that other components are to blame.

all other hardware is incompatible with gigabyte motherboards.

Last edited:
I see you already got an EVGA board, but running 12GB RAM at DDR3-1600 w/ the X58A-UD3R normally requires a bump in both QPI/VTT voltage (like Seanie's Show suggested) and QPI PLL. QPI/VTT normally needs ~1.30-1.35V, and QPI PLL ~1.16-1.20V w/ all 6 DIMM slots populated.

He tried and the Memory speed 1333Mhz v1.64 did not work.
Where did you see he has the EVGA board?

Last edited:
I see you already got an EVGA board, but running 12GB RAM at DDR3-1600 w/ the X58A-UD3R normally requires a bump in both QPI/VTT voltage (like Seanie's Show suggested) and QPI PLL. QPI/VTT normally needs ~1.30-1.35V, and QPI PLL ~1.16-1.20V w/ all 6 DIMM slots populated.

I dont have an EVGA board.

I have tried raising the QPI VTT up to 1.4v (everything between 1.15 to 1.4v). But raising the QPI PLL to 1.16-1.20v is new to me. Ill try that.

Thanks

It was the RAM. Bought 12GB Kingston and it works.

I have returned the board and corsair ram.

What board did you return, and what memory spec did you purchase?

I returned the GA-X58A-UD3R rev 1 and the corsair ram. Bought an P6X58D-E and 12GB Kingston PC12800 CL8.

Good thing is that my new board doesnt make that high pitched noise as the GA did.

I returned the GA-X58A-UD3R rev 1 and the corsair ram. Bought an P6X58D-E and 12GB Kingston PC12800 CL8.

Good thing is that my new board doesnt make that high pitched noise as the GA did.
Just wondering since you purchased a new bard and memory, how do you know it was the memory that was casing the problem.:-/

I just bought this board as well. Got it on Friday. I do have the newer 2.0 revision though. got everything installed last night and all is working well. When i first put my memory modules in i put them in the 2nd 4th and 6th DIMM location and the computer would not post (i bought 3x2gb Corsair memory). Then proceeded to put them in the 1st 3rd and 5th location and all was fine (should have read them manual first!).

Since i already have windows installed i will not be returning this board. Wish me luck in the long run! :) I will also report back if i have any other problems since rev. 1.0 seemed to give people a lot of trouble.

Well, tried everything with the RAM. Still doesnt always find the 12GB.

I just one day ago, returned the same mobo, I too had problems with it, I use 12gb of Patriot 1600mhz memory, I had major BIOS problems and boot problems, it wasn't very reliable at all. When I was able to enter windows, and use the gigabyte utility to change BIOS settings (since my BIOS froze in the M.I.T. screen every single time) and had to reboot for settings to take effect it would never POST, basically long story short, it's a problem with the memory controller, and just not worth the headache. I just ordered an Asus Rampage Extreme III, I am so hoping that I have no headaches with it.

I just one day ago, returned the same mobo, I too had problems with it, I use 12gb of Patriot 1600mhz memory, I had major BIOS problems and boot problems, it wasn't very reliable at all. When I was able to enter windows, and use the gigabyte utility to change BIOS settings (since my BIOS froze in the M.I.T. screen every single time) and had to reboot for settings to take effect it would never POST, basically long story short, it's a problem with the memory controller, and just not worth the headache. I just ordered an Asus Rampage Extreme III, I am so hoping that I have no headaches with it.

LOL the memory controller is in your CPU not on the board anymore, so if your problem is the memory controller then your gonna have the same problem with the ASUS board im affraid.

You really should of posted before you sent the board back, when running 12gb of RAM a simple boost to the QPI/VTT voltage normally sorts the problem out, I think 1.4v QPI/VTT or there abouts is required to run 12gb of RAM, if then your gonna overclock you will need even more.

Back