• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED The Water-Cooled System picture thread v2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I really like the look of that

Just like me, all you have to do is get a WB on the GPU.
Thanks notJUSTguitar. Don't think I'll add a gpu wb at this point as I'm using a gtx570 and this build (for now) will be for 2d benchmarks (and asst'd other tasks). Will wait for the next gen cards to come out then think about adding a wb.

Thanks notJUSTguitar. Don't think I'll add a gpu wb at this point as I'm using a gtx570 and this build (for now) will be for 2d benchmarks (and asst'd other tasks). Will wait for the next gen cards to come out then think about adding a wb.

I hear ya. That was my dilemma when I had a 6970.
Now that I have a card I plan to keep for a while, I don't have an excuse not to get a WB (Besides money :p)

So for everyone that has those main power connectors with the 24 individually sleeved cables: Are you buying the cables that way? Or are you getting sleeving kits and modifying the cables yourself?

I sleeve it myself, but it's quite time consuming and I'd recommend it only if you can't hide cables well in your case.

It's more of a hobby for me. Something to sit down in front of the TV and do while you watch your favorite shows sort of thing. If I wasn't working on an all acrylic case though (and if I weren't slightly OCD), I'd probably have gone with the extensions.

If your case can handle it (ie, has the room behind the mobo for the original cable plus the extension) and you don't want to sink the time necessary to do it, go with the extensions. Also, if your PSU isn't fully modular and you don't want to run the risk of messing things up/voiding the warranty, the extensions are definitely a better choice.

Come to think of it, if you have a fully modular PSU and get the extensions, you could probably swap them out with the original cables (though you have to be careful with PSUs with proprietary modular connections such as Corsair's AX series).

Edit: On second thought, swapping existing modular connections with the extensions may not work depending on the PSU. I just remembered that with the AX1200 that I have, there is at least one connector that draws from two separate wires coming from the PSU.

TLDR; It all depends on the situation and the system builder...

Last edited:
I sleeve it myself, but it's quite time consuming and I'd recommend it only if you can't hide cables well in your case.

It's more of a hobby for me. Something to sit down in front of the TV and do while you watch your favorite shows sort of thing. If I wasn't working on an all acrylic case though (and if I weren't slightly OCD), I'd probably have gone with the extensions.

If your case can handle it (ie, has the room behind the mobo for the original cable plus the extension) and you don't want to sink the time necessary to do it, go with the extensions. Also, if your PSU isn't fully modular and you don't want to run the risk of messing things up/voiding the warranty, the extensions are definitely a better choice.

Come to think of it, if you have a fully modular PSU and get the extensions, you could probably swap them out with the original cables (though you have to be careful with PSUs with proprietary modular connections such as Corsair's AX series).

Edit: On second thought, swapping existing modular connections with the extensions may not work depending on the PSU. I just remembered that with the AX1200 that I have, there is at least one connector that draws from two separate wires coming from the PSU.

TLDR; It all depends on the situation and the system builder...

So what type of time commitment are we talking about to sleeve a full 24 wire power connector? I saw those extensions, but it seems sort of ghetto to add an extender, just for the half-inch of cable that would be showing before the cable goes through a cable-management hole. Sort of defeats the purpose in my opinion.

So what type of time commitment are we talking about to sleeve a full 24 wire power connector? I saw those extensions, but it seems sort of ghetto to add an extender, just for the half-inch of cable that would be showing before the cable goes through a cable-management hole. Sort of defeats the purpose in my opinion.
Well, approximately?... Let's say it takes about 3 minutes per wire... You're looking at approximately an hour and a half just for the 24 pin cable. If you're also doing the 8-pin ATX, VGA, molex, SATA power cables, you can probably multiply 3 minutes by however many individual strands of cable and you'll get that.

A couple of tips I've learned the hard way:

A molex/ATX pin removal tool isn't a necessity, but it'll make things much easier.

Also, when sleeving expands, it will shrink in length. I know this is a "well, duh!" thing, but even a single cable could be wide enough to screw up the length of a pre-cut segment of sleeving, making it much shorter than you'd anticipated. I generally sleeve the cable straight from the spool, then when there's about an inch or so left, I cut the sleeve and sinch it over the connector. Then you can use two pieces of heatshrink for either end and apply some heat to them.

Speaking of cutting sleeving, have a lighter on hand and singe the ends when you cut it so that it doesn't fray. Frayed sleeving can be a hassle to work with and looks bad IMO, even with heatshrink over top.

Lastly (and this is pretty important), label the connectors or have some way to know which wire goes where. Most PSUs have color coded wire which makes things simpler, but some have all black wire so keeping the wires organized and labeled is a must. A PSU tester or digital multimeter and pinout schematic (google) will let you know if you have things right.

Back