• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 8150 with H100i OC! Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freezecz

So guys. I have just installed my h100i digital. I bought this new cpu cooler because I had artic freezer 13 limited edition, and well it sucked.

So what should I do first? Should I turn off all these green"stuff" and set vcore on what number of V. I have problems loading into windows only with disabling green stuff with my previous cpu cooler. So I hope I wont have the problems anymore.

Is H100i good choice for fx 8150?.)

Currectly running my cpu at 4113 mhz with only increased cpu multiplier and everything default, with green stuff on. All stable

How much you think I can achieve with this cpu and cooler? :) Thanks

Not just a single fish for a meal but Fishing Lessons by "trents" for a lifetime of meals.
With these CPUs you would need to be concerned with and deal with certain things when overclocking:

The first thing would be to download the overclocking software tools: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95.

The next thing to do would be to check core and CPU temps at stock frequencies and voltages to get an idea of how much overclocking headroom you have from a temperature standpoint, which is the main limiting factor.

To check those stock condition temps: Open HWMonitor on your desktop and adjust the slider and frame so you can see the core temps section and the voltage section. Leave it open while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. When that is done, attach a pic of the HWMonitor interface with your next post. To attach a pic, first crop and save the image to disc using Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced Post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon which will load the file browser and upload tool. The rest is obvious.

Next you need to be able to:

1. In bios, first disable: Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E and C6.
2. In Windows Control Panel Power Options configure it to High Performance.

These first two measures should disable all the "green" power saving stuff that cause erratic frequencies and voltages.

Then In bios, you will need to be able to manipulate:
1. CPU core voltage
2. CPU multiplier
3. CPUNB voltage
4. CPUNB frequency (may be expressed as a multiplier)
5. And perhaps, memory voltage

If you can locate those controls in bios you will be off to a good start and we can advise more specifically with regard to their adjustment. The terminology you encounter in the particular bios you are working on may vary somewhat from what I have used so be aware of that.

If you have a CPU with an upward unlocked multiplier, now just start increasing your CPU multiplier by .5x.

After each increase run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to check for stability.

Always have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor core temps. Max stable core temp is typically 55-58c, somewhere in there.

When you first fail the 20 minute Prime blend test, increase your CPU core voltage by .025 and retest. If you still fail, add another .025 vcore. Then retest, repeating the pattern outlined. Stop adding vcore when your reach 1.5 or core temps exceed the parameters mentioned above.

Failing the Prime test can mean blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or one of the Prime core workers dropping out. Post back after you have added two increments of vcore or hit the mid 50's core temp wall. When you post, attach pics of HWMonitor from your last Prime95 blend run and give us a report.

Report should look like below.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

With everything default and H100i for 2100 pwm isteand of max 2600

Attachments

• All together with all default.jpg
    All together with all default.jpg
    732.5 KB · Views: 885
Green stuff off and set to "power" in EZ mode in bios

Illegal sumount on 4-8 cores

Attachments

• greenstuffoff.jpg
    greenstuffoff.jpg
    745 KB · Views: 871
Well with green stuff disabled

I got again same iSSUE! As with the cpu cooler artic freezer 13

When I increased voltages on core by 0,025 and multiplier was 20 like before. My windows frozen right after load. Couldnt move my mouse or anything so i was forced to set it to default once again._

Any advise? Same issue

Well with green stuff disabled

I got again same iSSUE! As with the cpu cooler artic freezer 13

When I increased voltages on core by 0,025 and multiplier was 20 like before. My windows frozen right after load. Couldnt move my mouse or anything so i was forced to set it to default once again._

Any advise? Same issue

Increase your CPU-PLL to 2.545 and try booting again. Tell me if that gets you in far enough to run P95?

It is okey to rise CPU-PLL? I read about cases where PLL burned CPU :/ I will do it tomorrow.

Then another question, How to increase as much as possible the cpu performance? I mean different way not only increasing Mhz but increasing some voltages in bios or etc.

Last edited:
It is okey to rise CPU-PLL? I read about cases where PLL burned CPU :/ I will do it tomorrow. < If you look around you will see that "Anonaru" has given very good advice to all whom he has tried to help and that includes raising CPU PLL by a small amount.

ncrease as much as possible the cpu performance? I mean different way not only increasing Mhz but increasing some voltages in bios. < That is a new one on me. Increasing voltges does not increase performance. You use an increase in voltage to make more stable a component that has been overclocked like the cpu and its ancillary busses.

I meant something different, Sorry my mistake. I meant increasing other mhz, not the cpu one. I saw some other mhz buttons in bios. Sorry for my low knowledge.

It is okey to rise CPU-PLL? I read about cases where PLL burned CPU :/ I will do it tomorrow.

Then another question, How to increase as much as possible the cpu performance? I mean different way not only increasing Mhz but increasing some voltages in bios or etc.

Too much anything burns your CPU.

Intel typically sets the PLL too high..

AMD has dropped the ball on PLL voltage on the FX processors-- You basically HAVE to increase PLL voltage to get a good OC beyond 4.8GHz, and it makes a smaller OC easier with less core voltage.

It is a lot less stressful on your CPU than continuing to increase voltage :p Give it a shot when you have time. Best way to increase cpu performance overall is the following:

1. Increase CPU Frequency
2. Increase NB Frequency (Not as important on FX as Thuban / Deneb)
3. Increase FSB (Don't do this until you get familiar with multiplier-only OC)

I do all 3 when I OC. This also requires you to be able to monitor multiple variables at the same time, on the fly (Which is terrible for somebody asking for a cookie cutter OC solution)

Lets get you a stable OC before worrying about diving deeper into the game, alright? :D

Well Im noob in OCing so well I need a "cookbook" :)

Exactly why I'm reluctant to go into details about how to do a 100% complete OC. We gotta get you familiar with the basics-- First we want to get you 100% stable, monitor your temps, then bump up your multiplier till you're unstable, adjust voltages as necessary and repeat--

We do this to find what your thermal ceiling vs clock speed is, then we can go from there for getting a more robust OC that is better for your hardware :p

Okey IM very glad for you helping me. Will you be there tomorrow? I m going to bed right now

Okey I m here, Im writing from my laptop so I will answer quick all the time :) Im going to set the higher CPU-PLL and see if I can boot windows with Power performance and multiplier at 20, mhz 4363

I increased voltages by 0.025 and CPU-PLL to 2.525 in bios it was lower, like 2.512 or even 2.5
vcore voltages was at 1.332 Again black screen froze. Not even loaded windows

Im going to increase voltages by 0.050 from default 0.025 from last time ->>>>>>>> this profile saved as OCing
same for CPU-PLL going to increase it more to 2.5375 instead of 2.525

doing this I achieved 4410 with only increasing Vcore and CPU-PLL again black screen and freeze before windows loading screen. I dont know what to do now

I increased it once more going for 0.0625 increase vcore and CPU-PLL by 0.050 still freeze after windows boot logo with black screen and mouse not working

and I set default again, to see if its working normally. And ye, booted everything okey.

Last edited:
Green stuff off and set to "power" in EZ mode in bios < Why are you in EZ mode and trying to overclock? That board has Advanced mode. That would be the most likely place to overclock from is my guess. I have a Crosshair 5 board and I never even open EZ Mode.

Illegal sumount on 4-8 cores Is what you write in post #4. So you are NOT stable at 4334Mhz much less any faster.

From Post #4 it is also evident that your Max Vcore has only been up to 1.32Volts and that may NOT be enough for 4.3Ghz.

"Anonaru" says to >> Increase your CPU-PLL to 2.545. Have you increased the CPU PLL to that voltage? I don't think you have.

You now write >> doing this I achieved 4410 with only increasing Vcore and CPU-PLL again black screen < You haven't achieved anything since it is still Black screening/freezing and won't boot windows.

It would be easier all around if you post the pics of a Stable system run. Post them EXACTLY as shown in my Post #2. Don't need a whole screen capture. Don't need GUI of H-100. Don't need Coretemp. Just the 4 captures exactly as shown in Post #2.

So 4334Mhz is NOT stable. YOU need to back the speed down with the multiplier and set the FSB to 200 not 216 or whatever you are using and get the thing to run stable and post the 4 captures we do need to see what is happening. Period.

Get in the bios and turn all the green crap off. C1E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM etc until the green stuff is OFF. No EZ Mode "power" stuff. Windows power manager set to Performance Mode. Then try 4.0Ghz with multiplier at 20 and FSB/CPU Freq set to 200 and get maybe a stable baseline to begin to begin.

Ye my mistake I set Performance mode in EZ mode.

I did increased CPU-PLL to 2.550 I even wrote it down there...

I m going to turn all green stuff off and set multiplier to 20

Its faster for me to upload whole screen .) I dont think its a bit issue there :p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I turned off all green stuff and set windows power managet to performance and multiplier 20
Celsium stopped at 50 I will send images after 20 minutes of test

I got some bug at H100i, the fans are only at 50% and cant set it to maximum....

Last edited:
There, stable

Well 4200 mhz not stable worker #8 dropped the rest working.
Im going to increase Vcore a bit, hopefully it will be stable.

!!!!!! Still not working, everytime I try to increase Vcore, windows froze. Currect set: 1.3625 V core and 2.55 CPU PLL !!!!!!!

black screen once again. What the hell IM doing wrong, or whats wrong..

without increasing anything only multiplier It always load into windows, but get illegal sumount at 4150+ mhz and when I try to increase voltage in Vcore or CPU PLL windows freeze before loading...

Attachments

• 4200.jpg
    4200.jpg
    794.6 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:
Back