• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does lowering the voltage affect the performance of my CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TB1333

Registered
Hi

My CPU is clocked at 1333 Mhz and due to the high voltage that was shown in VIA Hardware Monitor (1.85V) I lowered it to 1.62V in the BIOS. The CPU still posts and everything works dine. But when it comes to gaming, does the lower voltage mean a lower performance (still 1333 Mhz) or does it affect nothing (except for the temperature)?

Thanx
Marc

It should not effect the performance, however if you have it too low-you may have stability problems. What will happen is your temps should be lower with the lower voltage.

The voltage doesn't affect performance at all. It will merely make it easier for the cpu to see the difference between on and off, which leads to stability. If you can run at a lower voltage, go for it! It will lower your temps nicely. :)

Lowering voltages won´t affect the performance at all...
Go for the lowest voltage possible, which keeps your system stable
You might also be able to lower your voltage further after some time of burn-in.

Back