• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H60 closed loop mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HD5830Gamer

Alright here is a modded Corsair H60 i didn't have any anti-freeze so i used plain tap water. I am selling this to a friend or giving it to my dad for his computer. Pics

M3500009.jpg

M3500012.jpg

M3500013.jpg

M3500014.jpg

And i got 99.98% of the air out.

Umm... Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't there be some anti-corrosive in that loop? I believe the radiator is aluminum and the block is copper. That's just asking for trouble if you're using plain tap water...

Not a water-cooler personally, but shouldn't you be using distilled/deionized anyway? Not even considering the mixed metals...

Umm... Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't there be some anti-corrosive in that loop? I believe the radiator is aluminum and the block is copper. That's just asking for trouble if you're using plain tap water...

Not a water-cooler personally, but shouldn't you be using distilled/deionized anyway? Not even considering the mixed metals...

You are both correct.

What I'd like to know on top of that is, What's the mod?

Nicely done, clean.

EDIT: "CLOSED LOOP" - I take it, it use to be an "open loop" ?

You are both correct.

What I'd like to know on top of that is, What's the mod?

Nicely done, clean.

EDIT: "CLOSED LOOP" - I take it, it use to be an "open loop" ?

I already have an H80 these are all closed loop. Not really a mod it was just for fun i have plenty of these coolers laying around.

Please consider using distilled water and adding an anti-corrosive. Galvanic corrosion will clog the block and put a hole in the radiator causing water to leak everywhere.

You're so funny:p
I wasn't trying to be. Galvanic corrosion (it's a real thing, look it up) strips ions from the aluminum rad and will deposit them on the copper inside the block. It's happened before, and there are plenty of threads if you search that will show you the results. If it was your build, I'd say "hey, your stuff" but considering you're either selling it to your friend or putting it in your dad's rig, do you really want to risk it?

I wasn't trying to be. Galvanic corrosion (it's a real thing, look it up) strips ions from the aluminum rad and will deposit them on the copper inside the block. It's happened before, and there are plenty of threads if you search that will show you the results. If it was your build, I'd say "hey, your stuff" but considering you're either selling it to your friend or putting it in your dad's rig, do you really want to risk it?

I already know what Galvanic corrosion was years ago it's like the "Lemon battery" the zinc and copper. But yeah selling it for $50

I already know what Galvanic corrosion was years ago it's like the "Lemon battery" the zinc and copper. But yeah selling it for $50
It also works with aluminum and copper using distilled water without any additives to prevent corrosion.

Anyway, it seems you're not willing to listen to my advice so I'll stop trying.

I'd hate to be you when they come knocking on your door because it leaked and fried their machine. Good luck :)

It also works with aluminum and copper using distilled water without any additives to prevent corrosion.

Anyway, it seems you're not willing to listen to my advice so I'll stop trying.

I'd hate to be you when they come knocking on your door because it leaked and fried their machine. Good luck :)

What? you expect me to open it up and add 50/75 anti-freeze? i had to submerge it in a bucket on water during the filling process or air would get in the loop as soon as i took the filler off you expect me to soak my hands in anti-freeze? this type of rad has to refill cap you know.

Then consider adding a reservoir like other HXX mods in these forums so you won't have to handle the water. Or possibly using a premix that's safe to handle with your bare hands. There are other ways of doing it.

I just couldn't, in good conscience, sell that to a friend knowing that it will lead to a leak in the future. I know you can't guarantee against leaks, but this will leak.

Then consider adding a reservoir like other HXX mods in these forums so you won't have to handle the water. Or possibly using a premix that's safe to handle with your bare hands. There are other ways of doing it.

I just couldn't, in good conscience, sell that to a friend knowing that it will lead to a leak in the future. I know you can't guarantee against leaks, but this will leak.

It's not the danger of the anti-freeze it's having to soak your hand in it, i have no problem using anti-freeze you know. And my CPU is the AMD FX-8150 on Corsair H80

The coolant that's inside them from the factory has an anti-corrosive (I believe it's mostly ethylene glycol but I could be wrong). I'm not saying all LCLC loops will leak, I'm saying that replacing the stock coolant with water without protecting against galvanic corrosion will.

Nevermind. Do as you will.

Skorpien's giving you good advice. If you don't change the liquid in that loop, it's going to leak sooner or later.

I've never actually WCed anything myself, but I have read the stickys. :D
I have to come clean too. I haven't taken the plunge myself (yet. Hopefully this weekend) but I've seen threads of LCLC mods and of galvanic corrosion. I've seen what it can look like when done properly (and that it will work well too) and I've seen what happens when you mix metals without anti-corrosives.

I was just trying to give the OP a warning and help him avoid a possible disaster (especially with it being so preventable). If I didn't do it though, I'm sure somebody more experienced than I would have come along eventually and done so.

I have to come clean too. I haven't taken the plunge myself (yet. Hopefully this weekend) but I've seen threads of LCLC mods and of galvanic corrosion. I've seen what it can look like when done properly (and that it will work well too) and I've seen what happens when you mix metals without anti-corrosives.

I was just trying to give the OP a warning and help him avoid a possible disaster (especially with it being so preventable). If I didn't do it though, I'm sure somebody more experienced than I would have come along eventually and done so.

Good point. I probably won't be selling this anyway. I wonder why my mom says "You don't use anti-freeze for computers cars only" lol

Last edited:
Back