• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GTX 1070, few questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wingman, wow great to see you man. Blast from the past. Are you still playing Arma and Flight simulator ?

Ps- we aren't talking about Nvidia physx, we're actually talking about physics points on 3-D mark fire strike

Nice to see you back:), I only do the Flight Games in BF3-4, No Arma for me, do you still play?

Thanks brother! Here's my short story if you got a minute. i'm actually back because of a random and freak incident. Drinking some good Trappist craft beer with family and friends I dropped my iPad tablet and smashed it into my somy 1080P 65 inch television ! Ended up destroying my iPad, and smashing the glass on the TV .. Lol

How does that bring me to today? I need led to buy a new tablet, and a new TV .. So I got this great deal from Best Buy 900 dollars for a 55xbrx900c 4K HDR ultra hd tv and I go to plug my rig in the other day and it's not compatible with my old PC hdmi outputs. So now I'm building a new rig to compensate for the lack of 4K resolution power hungry output, and I started with a GTX 1070 founders edition!

So after playing for a little while last two days , I am hooked again on overclocking and PC gaming . I have been a gamer My whole life and let me tell you something ... There is nothing in the world like 4K gaming on a big screen Ultra hd HDTV . It is so incredibly immersive, it enhances just about every single game you have ever played into a completely new experience . So I'm back to arma 3 and modding and building for the community again . Working on a new targeting and support system mod right now. And pretty much just watching 4K movies at night with the fam, and just about to get into some fallout 4, gta5, and some additional 4k high res gaming as soon as I finish building the new rig . Very nice to hear from you as well as some other familiar faces

Wow you kind of fell into it again no pun intended. Glad you like your 4k TV sounds great, I have 1080p monitor for gaming 27" it's ok for me. Just upgraded my PC with a i5 6600k, I could not pass by the sale of all the parts I wanted at the same time also no shipping cost Newegg is still ok.

GTX 1070 Founders Edition part 2....

My original thread can be found here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/773873-New-GTX-1070-few-questions/page2

Thank you to everyone that helped me out yesterday .
Short story, I was getting low physics score in 3-D mark firestrike after installing the new card .

Total score : 13,300
Physics: 7000
Graphics: 18,000

3770k @ 4.20 GHz
8GB dual channel ddr3 1600
Founders Edition GTX1070 stock clocks

The good news is I figured out what was going on thanks to the helpful members yesterday . For six years now I have had hyperthreading disabled to save 15*C on temperature and to clock higher. Immediately after enabling HT in the bios these were the results...

Total Score: 14,400
Physics: 11,270
Graphics: 18,000

So we gained 58% performance increase with physics score from hyper threading.
And gained just about 10% total score .

So thankful that rectified my problem . Now I have some more questions. Since I am a complete newbie with Nvidia graphics cards .. I downloaded MSI afterburner yesterday , and I'm trying to overclock . But I noticed something called boost automatically and dynamically changes my core clock based on temperature and a few different variables based on how it was performing . This is a pretty cool and fine and dandy since it is overclocking to 1900 MHz which is really incredible like a 30% overclock but how do I stop boost and can I manually control the core and men to stay the same frequency 24/7 without changing dynamically with boost? Every time I tried to add Core and mem frequency in Msi after burner , it never did anything because it was being dynamically changed with boost.

I would like to go 1900 core and Memory 5000.
How can I achieve this using MSI afterburner without boost affecting the clocks? Can I do this without touching the voltage or the fan speed? Thank you guys!

-Dom
image.jpeg

As long as your temps are stable, the boost will come into play when folding. I upped my core clock +35 and I'm folding at 1923Mhz. Instead of thinking of it as a boost, I think of it as a downclock when not in use to save power.

So thankful that rectified my problem . Now I have some more questions. Since I am a complete newbie with Nvidia graphics cards .. I downloaded MSI afterburner yesterday , and I'm trying to overclock . But I noticed something called boost automatically and dynamically changes my core clock based on temperature and a few different variables based on how it was performing . This is a pretty cool and fine and dandy since it is overclocking to 1900 MHz which is really incredible like a 30% overclock but how do I stop boost and can I manually control the core and men to stay the same frequency 24/7 without changing dynamically with boost? Every time I tried to add Core and mem frequency in Msi after burner , it never did anything because it was being dynamically changed with boost.

I would like to go 1900 core and Memory 5000.
How can I achieve this using MSI afterburner without boost affecting the clocks? Can I do this without touching the voltage or the fan speed? Thank you guys!
That's how boost works bud. If you don't want Boost, you need to modify the BIOS which I do not recommend. Also, the memory isn't touched with boost. It lowers its speed at idle, but when in 3D clocks, it never changes.

Merged threads... this is the same thing, just wrapping up the other story. ;)

Thank you for the quick reply. So as it currently sits , boost automatically puts my card at 1901 MHz during gaming .
If I put +40 in afterburner is it going to be 1941 during boost ? Because my problem is any overclocking values that I enter doesn't work, boost seems to overide my settings and always puts it at 1901 MHz. I'm just trying to figure out how to overclock properly

- - - Updated - - -

It's not that I don't want to use boost, I'm trying to figure out how to over clock properly with it. I have been an ATI guy my whole life as you know .. ;) my first time ever using Nvidia OC tools is yesterday lol. Yes, I opened a new thread because the other thread was in the mobo section accidentally. Hoping you moved them in the Nvidia section. Its still so weird to see you in Green, e-dog! Lmao

Last edited:
A couple of things.. :)

1. When you/we are talking clocks, we(I) are(am) talking ACTUAL boost clocks, not what GPUz says on the main page, but on the sensors page, correct?
2. Remember, boost is a function of the power limit and temperatures. From idle temps and starting a game, Are you boosting higher and do the clocks lower?
3. Have you raised the power limit to the highest it will go? Are you hitting the power limit?

This thread is in the NVIDIA section. I didn't move it there... maybe another staff member did?

Thank you so much for your help. I'm really trying to get the best possible overclock possible so any advice and guidance is greatly appreciated .

To Answer your questions.
The way I'm getting clock speed readings is using MSI afterburner live graphs .
For instance I will open up a 1920 x 1080 window of Valley benchmark , Ultra quality .
So MSI afterburner graph log and valley benchmark will be running on the win 7-64 desktop .

As soon as Valley is opened. The actual memory and core frequency on the card jumps to 4009 MHz memory and 1901 MHz core speed. It will then fluctuate between 1840 and 1911 for the duration of the benchmark . My question to you is how do I work from here ? Should I be happy with the stock boost overclocking ? How do I work from here ?

Are you hitting the power limit (doubtful)? You should be able to add to the core and have it take. Does it show in GPUz on the main screen after you add +40 (you are hitting APPLY in MSI AB, right?)?

You can live monitor using the OSD: you chose what you want to monitor/display in the MSI AB's preferences.

Right now I am not touching anything , not touching power limit, voltage. Nothing. The only thing I am upping is memory and core speed . And of course I Am hitting apply. I will mess around with it tonight after work. Do you recommend adding power? Remember I have never used Nvidia video before so adding max power is outside of my familiarity zone . What memory and core speed do you think I should shoot for ?

First thing, take power and temp limit to the max (it's low anyway, you need a bios mod for decent increase).

Right now I am not touching anything , not touching power limit, voltage. Nothing. The only thing I am upping is memory and core speed . And of course I Am hitting apply. I will mess around with it tonight after work. Do you recommend adding power? Remember I have never used Nvidia video before so adding max power is outside of my familiarity zone . What memory and core speed do you think I should shoot for ?
When increasing the power limit, you are not adding power, you are increasing the threshold at which it throttles because of power use.... hence why its called Power LIMIT. :)

I have no idea what you should shoot for... all cards are different, you know that :)! That said, these seem to top out in the 2000-2100MHz range on the core so I guess somewhere around there?

When increasing the power limit, you are not adding power, you are increasing the threshold at which it throttles because of power use.... hence why its called Power LIMIT. :)

I have no idea what you should shoot for... all cards are different, you know that :)! That said, these seem to top out in the 2000-2100MHz range on the core so I guess somewhere around there?

Haha
I could've sworn that you helped another guy out with 1070 reference results in another thread so I figured you might know a reasonable mem/core goal that I should shoot for.
Do you think 5000 mem and 2050 core is a reasonable goal with leaving the fan on auto, max power limit, stock voltage? Are you going to pickup a new 1060/70/80??

Thanks bud!

maybe... likely with the same suggestion. :)

Give it a try and see. Do the core, find its limit, then back down, and do the memory. Then both.

I have a 1070 and 1080 here (MSI Gaming) from the reviews, yes (see front page).

maybe... likely with the same suggestion. :)

Give it a try and see. Do the core, find its limit, then back down, and do the memory. Then both.

I have a 1070 and 1080 here (MSI Gaming) from the reviews, yes (see front page).

E-Dog,
I had no idea you were the main review writer guy also! As you can tell it's been a long time for me since I've visited. I used the be the guy in your chair writing reviews every day, I've already read all of those reviews yesterday! Great frickin job man! I didn't even pay attention to the author! Awesome work. In any event I will keep you posted. Do you mind if I start a seperate thread for OC results since this thread is a giant mish mosh?

Total team effort.. ATMINSIDE(editor/reviewer), Mdcomp(el capEtan), ehume(heatsinks, fans, cases), woomack (mainly memory), Johan45 (amd), and a few others keep the front page machine rolling! :)

May want to keep it in here? Nobody is going to kick and scream if you want to create another.. though id link back to bere if you do that so we dont have to rehash things for others that may come in to help, or forgot. Id keep it in here personally. :)

OK no worries e-dog. This thread is such a cluttered mess I would've like to start a separate one get another 1070 owners chiming in but it's cool.

I had a few hours to play with it last night . Here is what I did so far.
I didn't push it hard at all.. just starting to get the hang of it by clocking up at 40 MHz intervals per benchmark set. I must say I am very very impressed with the performance per clock on the OC.

I set Msi after at 112 max power limit. Max heat limit 92.
I put the fan on a steady 72% .. 72% is the decibel level where the performance of the fan is great, and I can barely hear it at all while gaming and watching movies . So I am choosing to keep this as a 24/7 fan setup. It keeps the code at 30° Idle. And 69 to 72° load maximum at this fan speed . I am very happy with the performance .

now as far as clocking the card . I spent many hours benchmarking so I did not get too far last night . But I can say I didn't get any artifacts, zero crashes, just pure perfect performance . Flawless overclocking which is always a good thing.

Stock Clock monitoring MSI AB using 3dmark firestrike were getting :
4000 memory
1797 to 1843 up and down ( turns out Msi afterburner was working properly previously last night)
3dmark firestrike results stock :
14,213 total score
Graphics score 17,917

So how did my few hours of overclocking go ?
4180 memory
1940 to 1980 core boost
Power draw I was hitting 112 % for heaviest points of the benchmark. Is this normal ? Does that mean the OC is maxed out ?

3dmark firestrike OC results.
14,708 total score
18,847 graphics score

image.jpeg
I'm definitely happy with how the card is overclocking so far . I only stopped overclocking because fire strike take so damn long to run per test. Tonight I plan on getting another couple hundred megahertz out of both frequencies . Any advice or ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated .

Last edited:
Back