• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help Planning my NEXT BUILD!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThorV8

Registered
I am looking for Dual Graphics, and ATX or Extended ATX Board

Intel or AMD it doesnt matter as long as it is good and not a sempron or Celeron. LOL.

My Budget is $1500 but can increase if need be.

We'll be glad to help, but we need some more information from you (in addition to what you already told us) so we can tailor a build that's the most cost-effective for your needs/wants. :thup:

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

We'll be glad to help, but we need some more information from you (in addition to what you already told us) so we can tailor a build that's the most cost-effective for your needs/wants. :thup:

Thank You for your advice I should have already put that on here but I forgot thanks for offering your time to help also here are the answer to your questions:

My budget is $1500 but can increase to maybe $1700

I am planning on Gaming and Programming for my college courses.

I will need a copy of Windows 64-bit (but think I can get it at discount from a buddy who is a MS Rep.)

I will be getting a monitor,mouse,keyboard,and speakers.

I am from the United States and do not live near a micro center; however I would like to order from either newegg or tiger direct and also from Frozencpu unless there is a site where I can get cheaper liquid cooling loop components.

I do plan on overclocking and my goal is to get a stable clock at between 4.5GHz and 5GHz

I plan on going SLI right away and need a particularly roomy case I prefer a computer now that I wont have to upgrade unless I want to but wont have to.

What monitors at what resolution playing what games?
24" 1920x1080 single monitor?

Generally one GPU is better than SLI for most people,
At this budget you can go HD 7970 or GTX 680 for $400-600.
SLI at $300 each either HD 7950 or GTX 660 Ti.
This looks interesting, if cooling and noise are good and fits motherboard( $600)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

I5 3570K $230-15 till 10/22[$830]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504&name=Processors-Desktops

Sabretooth $240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821&name=Intel-Motherboards

Maximus V Exreme-Z $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131830&name=Intel-Motherboards

P8Z77-V Deluxe $280 good choice[$1110]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131818&name=Intel-Motherboards

Samsung 2x4GB $45 [$1155]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096&name=Desktop-Memory

PSU Rosewill Capstone 750-M $110 [$1265]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182264&name=Power-Supplies

Cases are personal preference as much as function
NZXT Switch 810 gets a lot of mention $180
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146088&name=Computer-Cases

Rosewill Blackhawk $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147107&name=Computer-Cases

Corsair Obsidian 550D $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139012

about $1400-1500

Now trim that for monitor keyboard, mouse, windows.

Last edited:
Thanks for both of your's advice. I already have a Windows 7 disc with Key and razer gaming mouse and keyboard along with the headset. I just need quality Graphics and a Processor and Motherboard with a quality liquid cooling setup. Which high end card should I go with for a single card setup?

Can't beat the 7970 for $360. CPU, grab a 3570K and a ASRock Extreme4.

Liquid cooling, you probably need a new thread in the water cooling section of the forums if you want to build a custom loop.

Don't need a case/hard drive/SSD/power supply/RAM?

I was thinking of going with the Thor V8 case or probaly a Corsair case.

I do still need opinions for DDR3.

I havent used SSD's yet but would like to.

My recent build had an i7 2600k which performed nicely never got to OC before selling because the board was a budget board. I paired it with Some Patriot Memory G2 Series @ 1866 but they sent me 1333 because they ran out of the 1866. So I had a little slower performance than would have like but it still ran like a champ.

As anyone around here will tell you, RAM is RAM. If you can get some super cheap in a combo deal, go for those. Otherwise, grab whatever DDR3-1600 sticks suit your fancy. These are what I used in my rig and I don't have any complaints. Plus they fit my black color scheme really well :D

As for SSDs, pretty much any of these will be just fine for your needs. If you plan on putting a ton of games and programs on it, I would suggest getting a 240-256GB drive.

I was thinking of going with the Thor V8 case or probaly a Corsair case.

I do still need opinions for DDR3.

I havent used SSD's yet but would like to.

My recent build had an i7 2600k which performed nicely never got to OC before selling because the board was a budget board. I paired it with Some Patriot Memory G2 Series @ 1866 but they sent me 1333 because they ran out of the 1866. So I had a little slower performance than would have like but it still ran like a champ.

You just said all you needed was a GPU/motherboard/CPU/cooling in your previous post...:confused:.

Exactly what do you need to buy, and how much do you have to spend on it?

I'd suggest the Samsung 830 as your SSD of choice. If you are prepared to wait, the 840 seems to be an even better choice! (or) waiting for the 840 would necessarily mean that the price on the 830 will be slashed. I picked up a used SSD 830 256Gb on Amazon for $165.

Okay, so I think that I have made my final decision on everything; I think I jumped into this to fast and did not give myself enough time to soak in all the suggestions so here is what is might go with please reply if you have any other reccomendations Also, my budget has increased as I got a pay raise.

So here it is for all of your judgments:

OCZ ZX 1250w PSU
Asus Maximus V Extreme
Intel Core i7 3770k
SLI EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 2560MB or CrossfireX XFX 6990
2xSamsung 830 SSD
2x1tb HDD
Thermaltake Level 10 Snow Edition Full Tower Case
Cooler Master Seidon until I find good advice for a true liquid cooling setup.
16GB Patriot Memory DDR3 Intel Limited Edition @ 1600MHz

Last edited:
1. You'll never ever get close to 1250W. 750W can pretty much run two GPUs and any CPU, plus overclocking.

2. Why going with last generation cards?

3. That's a benchmarking board. Unless you're going to use dry ice or liquid nitrogen..you don't need a ROG board.

4. BMW had a had in designing the Level 10 series...that's why it's so expensive. Especially if you want to do custom water cooling, there are better cases in that price range. I've seen some Silverstone cases where you can fit massive amounts of radiator.

1. You'll never ever get close to 1250W. 750W can pretty much run two GPUs and any CPU, plus overclocking.

2. Why going with last generation cards?

3. That's a benchmarking board. Unless you're going to use dry ice or liquid nitrogen..you don't need a ROG board.

4. BMW had a had in designing the Level 10 series...that's why it's so expensive. Especially if you want to do custom water cooling, there are better cases in that price range. I've seen some Silverstone cases where you can fit massive amounts of radiator.

Right on Knufire if you want a good case you might want to look at the switch 810 its like 170 and is arguably one of the best price/performance water cooling cases out there i mean with out modding you can get a 480 rad and a 240 rad push pull (i think) so case wise i would go with that look in to the ocz zt 750 watt psu its awesome.

Also on that Cooler Master Seidon i would wait till November when the cooler master eisberg comes out in the us (if you are in the uk i think it is already out) Eisberg is probably the best "closed" loop that i have seen. I mead you can add your own coolant add new blocks and add gpus blocks also so that what i would recommend waiting for.

Mother board wish go for the z77 extreme 4 or the gigabyte z77 ud5. (i would go with the asrock extreme 4 awesome board for a low price.)

What do you guys think of the EVGA Z77 FTW and the Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3?

Back