• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to flash the bios of an Nvidia based gfx card!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quegyboe

I do this alot and thought that this guide might be good for newbies who might want to make thier OC's permanent.

I take no responsability for anything that goes wrong, I'm just offering this as a how-to

First the link --> http://www.x-bios.3dgames.ru/

Go there, download...

- Ray Adams Nvidia BIOS editor
- dos4gw
- nvflash (newest version)
- savebios

1) Run savebios to make a bin file of your bios.
2) Install the bios editor and open it. Open your bios file with the editor.
3) After it opens, click on the "Initialization" tab. Change the core and memory clock speeds you see there to what you want your OC to be (make sure to note the memory clocks are DDR speeds...eg 400=200x2).
4) Save the bios file onto a bootable DOS floppy along with nvflash and the dos4gw file (make sure to un-zip the files first).
5) Reboot your system and boot into DOS with the bootable floppy.
6) To run nvflash, type "nvflash filename.bin". Nvflash will check to make sure your using the right BIOS and ask you for conformation before flashing....just type YES. The flash will commence and you will be taken back to the DOS prompt.
7) Reboot once the flash is finished.

Your Done!

Last edited:
I have a question, in the tab where you change you core/mem speed it dosent do anything on mine, they wont move. Does hat mean i can OC this through the bios ?

DDR-PIII said:
I have a question, in the tab where you change you core/mem speed it dosent do anything on mine, they wont move. Does hat mean i can OC this through the bios ?

Check out this page, you should use Coolbits to OC initially (flashing your BIOS just to overclock is a bit excessive, IMO) or you can use RivaTuner if you don't feel like editing the registry. I don't even have the "Krusty" key in my registry (for unlocking an additional 25%), so I use Rivatuner.

i use rivatuner already :) I was gonna trade my card to my ex g/f's dad hes kinda into gaming but not realling into spending big money so i was gonna just oc it through the bios and install it for him.

Overclocking through the BIOS is just to make it permanent (for you lazy people). That's how I changed a good old GeForce2 MX (175/166) into an MX400 (200/166). People say that you can just set Coolbits to OC on bootup, but the constant changing (stock clocks at boot and then overclocking in Windows) can damage the card more than just leaving it OC'ed.

It seems like the site has been taken down. That's certainly lame since that was the only site I knew of that hosted those files. I guess I'll have to start a site myself! LOL!

Bah, the French site is really out of date on all items listed.

Try:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=186090

By the way,
Even NVIDIA BIOS Editor build 435 has problems with 8x AGP GF4 Ti4200 NV28. (Other cards seem to be OK, just the 8X AGP ones have problems with permanent overclock.)

Does anyone know if there's a new build available anywhere?

Builds 435 and earlier can OC Ti4200 8X AGP cards'
Core Clock from 250 MHz but
Memory Clock always stays at 513 MHz

NVidia bioses

Hey. The best place for Nvidia bioses is definately HERE

I am currently using .34, since its the best imagequality for me (way better than the .28 that came with my reference card). Used .37 for a while, but couldnt clock higher than 670 (650 default on my g4 4600) because of artifacts. With the older bioses i can go up to 730 without artifacts. Maybe more aggressive memory timings in .37 bios, i dont know.
Good luck. Remember to test the bios first with vgabios.

fiji said:
how do you get into your vid card bioses?

A Video Card BIOS isn't the same as a PC BIOS, so you can't just get into them.

You have to dump the bios first (makes a .Rom file), then use a video card BIOS editor to check out some of the stuff in the bios.

Floruro linked to a very good site with BIOS files and utilities.

damnit lol it was right under my nose the whole time and i didnt see it ahahah

damn im stupid

Re: NVidia bioses

Floruro said:
Hey. The best place for Nvidia bioses is definately HERE

Remember to test the bios first with vgabios.

Nice link Floruro. I have been interested in updating my TI4600 card for a while but haven't been able find the files. My card currently has the 4.25.00.27.32 bios.

The instructions there are quite brief though and I'm hoping you won't mind giving me more explicit instructions how to test with VGAbios first then flashing with NVFlash.

That is--do I place vgabios-nvflash and the bios file all on a floppy then boot with floppy, insert bios floppy, type VGABIOS -fbios.rom (this is where I have question--do I type fbios.rom or the bios file name?) The same question for nvflash procedure.

Much thanks.

Last edited:
Update:

I put VGABIOS & .rom files on a floppy.

I booted with a boot disk then inserted the floppy with 2 files on it.

I typed "VGABIOS -fbios.rom"

I get this:

"VGABios Loader Version 1.10
Copyright........
Usage: VGABios -fROMFILE -tM
ROMFILE is VGA BIOS ROM
M is TV Mode(0-5)
VGA Bios NOT found"

What do you think?

Back