• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell fan power connections

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IWasHungry

Today I got two nice 92mm Sensflow fans in the mail (FFC0912DE), apparently they were pulled from some Dell servers. Here's one of them:

StrangeFan.jpg

When I bought them I was told I would have to rewire the fans, which is fine, I'm good at soldering and all that.

Coming out of the fan there are four cables; yellow, red, black, and green. I assume yellow, red, and black are the usual +12V, +5V, and Ground, and maybe green is a sensor? I've heard about Dell using non-proprietary hardware designs so I just wanted to see if anybody was 100% on these.

The pin connection from the fan is six pin (3x2), with four wires being the ones I already stated, and an additional two wires (blue, orange) going to what looks like an LED mounted on the blue plastic fan shield.

If things are as I guessed, I'm just going to connect the +12V and Ground, and cut off everything but the yellow and black wire.

By the way, this fan states that it runs at 1.5A! :eek: Definitely putting a resistor or two in series with this. If 70-Ohm isn't enough and the fan is still loud, I'll probably trying using the +5V (red) cable as my new Ground, creating a +7V difference in the fan.

If nobody knows for sure I'm gonna run +12V through the yellow and black wires tomorrow to see if it works, hopefully I guess correctly and don't kill it lol.

:burn:

Last edited:
I remember having to rewire a DELL fan from an old server. This sucker had 5 wires: Red, Black, Yellow, Green, Blue.

I only used the universal 3 wires : Red, Yellow, Black. Dunno what the other 2 wires did, but when I wired up the fan to a molex, the dam thing was whailin away @ top speed :eek:. My guess is either the green or blue where speed/rpm sensors and would adjust fan speed when needed.

Good luck and hope you don't kill it ;)

Man I had no idea what the heck those cables were.

I connected +12V to yellow and Ground to black, nothing happened. I played around with it and here are the results:

[+] [-] [Result]
[Yellow] [Black] [No]
[Yellow] [Red] [No]
[Red] [Black] [Fast]
[Red] [Yellow] [Slow]
[Black] [Yellow] [No]
[Black] [Red] [No]

So there you have it. Red is Ground. And connecting Black or Yellow to +12V yields different speeds. Also, if both Black and Yellow are connected to +12V, it runs very fast! The power supply I was using could only go up to 0.5A, so I couldn't see that but I'll bet it's pretty loud.

What the hell were the designers thinking?

Anyway I'm pretty disappointed. I ordered these to use in a silent rig but both make an annoying "zzzzzzzzzzz" sound when using a resistor to run at low speeds. =/

Back