• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just a little bit of a heads up for the Folding Team

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I have been working with IMOG over the last couple of days, trying to put together a contest for content generated for the front page. I am not real sure on the details yet, as we are still hashing that out, but the idea is that something will be given away. Like I said, we are still working on the details, but we are leaning toward the member with either the most unique hits to their article, or possibly a raffle style contest similar to the way ozzlo ran his last contest, where one article is one entry. Considering that it usually takes a few days to get an article published from the time it is posted to WordPress, this may be a contest that runs the course of a few months. I will keep this updated to let all of you know the details, as we work them out. I hope to see each and every one of you involved. The give away will likely be a review sample from an Overclockers.com review, so as you read those reviews, keep in mind you could have a chance at winning that item.:thup:

So, I have been doing a lot of thinking about this, and taking some advice from both IMOG and ozzlo. I want some feed back from anyone that might be interested in getting involved in this. What do you guys think would be fair? Would you rather do it by how many articles are published within a set amount of time, how many total unique hits each of your articles receive, or an average of how many unique hits per article? To put it into simpler terms, lets say for the duration of the contest, a member gets 4 articles published, which in total receives 200 unique hits. This adds up to 50 unique hits per article, on average, which could be 50 entries, if this is done as a raffle contest, similar to how ozzlo ran his contest.

Since I will be administrating the contest, with the help of IMOG, articles that I produce will not be counted toward the contest. I would like some help from each of you, in order to keep this fair. If we can all work together to come up with something that will work for every one that will be competing, we can get this contest off the ground even sooner.

Also, I wanted to mention, that a simple plug for F@H in an article for another section will count for any member as well. If, for instance, Jolly gets an article published about one of his newer case mods, and he mentions in the article that the rig is a folding rig, or even having Folding Team Member after your name at the end of the article, with a link to the folding forums, that still helps bring new people to this area of the forum, and may even help get them interested enough to join our team.:comp:

I have thoughts... but I'm just covered up. :D So here's the shortened version - I love it!!! Go for it!!!

I have thoughts... but I'm just covered up. :D So here's the shortened version - I love it!!! Go for it!!!

148 views, and this is the only feed back? Come on guys, I know you are all for the contests. Give me your thoughts so we can get this under way. I am hoping to make it a summer contest. Let me know your thoughts so I can keep it fair for everyone.:beer:

I would think if it was average hits per article, nobody would do more than one article. That might be a good thing to have people write better articles instead of lots of mediocre. I would think one entry per 10 unique article views or something like that. If the same 50 people read all 4 of my articles, that would be 20 entries. I would also get the same 20 entries if 200 people read one of my articles.

SOunds like a great idea for the front page and to get more notice of teh F@H team! My biggest concern with the number of articles being an 'entry' would be the quality of them...I could throw just about anything together in a hour, but that doesnt mean it will bring in anything if its a sub par read...

Not that I fold anymore (sorry :(), but I would imagine one article per person and raffle off to all who submit would be an easy way to do this while mainting a high level quality in the submissions.

I hope that helps.

I don't think article quality is a concern as the editors will only let the best articles make it to the front page simply put people will only earn entries if their submitted article gets published.

I would think if it was average hits per article, nobody would do more than one article. That might be a good thing to have people write better articles instead of lots of mediocre. I would think one entry per 10 unique article views or something like that. If the same 50 people read all 4 of my articles, that would be 20 entries. I would also get the same 20 entries if 200 people read one of my articles.

Since one possibility is that it could be based off the average of unique hits per article, as long as that scenario was 50 different people, it would equal 50 entries, due to being the average of unique hits per article. One of the reasons that I have thought to do it this way, has been stated, which is to keep better quality articles, instead of a larger quantity.

If someone were to even take the install guide sticky's, and rewrite them for the front page, that could mean some entries for that particular person, and is still quality content. On the other hand, if a member were to write up their new build log, and mentions that it is a Folding rig, or that they are a folding member, that could also bring some entries as well. The thing is, I would need to be notified of those type of things, so that I can be sure to keep track of those articles as well.

http://www.overclockers.com/vantec-nexstar3-superspeed-usb-30-enclosure-review/
http://www.overclockers.com/kingwin-dock-master-usb-30-hard-drive-docking-station-review/
http://www.overclockers.com/cogage-true-spirit-lga1366-heatsink-review/

From what I have been told, these are the items available for prizes. I am still thinking about doing an average of unique hits per article, and doing it as a raffle, for the True Spirit, and something like the highest total unique hits for all articles gets their choice of the enclosure or dock. I may even sneak in a surprise contest for whichever item is remaining, to increase everyones odds a little more. I just need to double check with IMOG to make sure that I can give all 3 of them away.

Also, I would like some input from you guys, about how long I should run the contest. I was thinking about a Summer long contest, but since we can't do drawings weekly or bi weekly, it may start to get stale after a little bit. OTOH, we could do a monthly drawing, for each of the three items, so at the end of one month, we run a drawing for the HDD dock, the next month, for the enclosure, and the final month for the HSF, or something like that. Some input from you guys would be great.

Back