• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building another Box (full tower this time)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
in order to get the fans to sit flush I would only have the distance of one of the compression fittings between the two rads so I dont feel that would be enough room to fit the hose considering it is 1/2 and run it even if I inverted one rad

ah, I see...I think. you'd also probably get airflow issues.

I honestly dont mind having them sit outside of the case, they will only be about halfway out, so I will just make my own cover, that will cover the outside and have some kind of a fan grilll build in
(I will prob just steal the 120 mesh from my old thermaltake case and use it to cover the fans along with a home made cover.

I have an idea for you.
Why dont you place the rad bottom side by side where the psu is mounted. Like the tj-07
you could place the psu in the HDD/CD/DVD drive bays. Instead of buying a 200-250$ casze

Doesn't fit
Case length 19.90
Rad length 15.6

I would have to do some crazy **** to get that psu to fit.

Idk the more I think about it, the more I could possible make it work. It would be a mofo but just maybe possible if I elevated it higher than the rads, and it would also make cable management a lot easier.

Another idea I have had is to put one rad running like that at the bottom of the case, then stack the other on top of it. but then I think I would run into issues with the gpu fitting

You've got it stripped down and you've got the parts, prototype it...one thing that comes to my mind is a hybrid of the 2 ideas, lay one on it's side and one in the front...sorta in an L shape...just a thought!

I have tried out all the combos I can think of, and the orginal paraflow design gives me the most working space in the case where the actually computer components are which is what matters to me. I hate when cases are all messy and cramped with **** everywhere.

If I run the L type setup I have no where to fit the psu, this case is just to narrow and not long enough for that.
I just have my work cut out for me is all haha.

You are correct Doom, I am running 90's off the ones closest to the block off plate, and then the ones in the front of the case are just run to each other.

I got a little work done today I made the block off plate, got the res mounted and the fill port put in.
It took a little while to find a place that actually had sheet metal that would fit. Then it took about an hour and a half to get the metal to fit perfectly. I am happy with the way everything came out. After I am done fabbing everything I am going to clean up all the metal edges with some weather stripping to seal everything up tightly and make it pretty. And I will also paint everything one last time so it looks pretty when im done.

I was orginally planning on trying to keep all of the WC parts between the rads but after some measuring and moving parts around I decided that it just was not going to work without blocking the rads completely and it would have been a pita to get all the tubing run without kinks, so I was forced to move the Res into the back of the case.

Attachments

• IMG_2855.JPG
    IMG_2855.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_2856.JPG
    IMG_2856.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_2857.JPG
    IMG_2857.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Another disappointing day, I didn't manage to accomplish anything besides picking up some parts I needed and getting the drain plug installed :(

Getting the drain plug in was a pita because I had to do it on a raised part of the case and I tried using a hole saw bit with no success because it was slightly wider than the raised part of the case so I had to dremel it out.

I will be painting the blue drain plug, they only had one so I just went with it because I hate waiting and paying shipping for one or two things.

I did pick up the grommets for the tubing to run through the block off plate, I got a new propane soldering gun and the solder to start getting all the fans wired together.
I ordered some blue cathode lights, gaskets for the radiators and 2 more compression fittings.

I am looking for a tap and die that isn't crazy expensive since this build just keeps costing more and more every day

Attachments

• IMG_2988.JPG
    IMG_2988.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 249
I just picked one up from ebay, the guy had 500 feedback at 100 percent and people have used them for their stuff and said it worked great.
Got the tap and drill bit shipped for 25.00

I also just picked up 100ft of 1/8 black sleeving, and 25 ft of 1/4 black sleeving.
Once that gets here, the psu modding begins!

100ft? I am guessing you're doing individual wire sleeving? =D my favorite! I hope to do that to a PSU soon, I just need a PSU worth doing it to.

you are correct sir. I am going to be sleeving every wire individually, even though you wont see a single wire going to the mobo as I am going to solder the 24 pin atx cable to the back of the mobo.
I am going for as clean of a look as I can get.

I was going somewhere tonight so I figured I would give my old box one last stress test before it was taken apart later this week to go into the new case with the bigger rads and everything.

So I booted up prime95 and ran it for 6 hours while I was out of the house and these are the results.
(if you guys know of program that stresses the gpu please let me know as I would like to test that)

This test was done with 2 of the cheap HW labs 120x2 rads and the ambient temp is around 21.1 c
idle temp hovers around 28c

Attachments

• prime.jpg
    prime.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 230
GPU test? Furmark. Don't run in wondowed mode. I had issues for getting it to show SLI temps etc.

MSI Combustor is really popular, never used it.

Myself, I use Inengine Heaven benchmark. It stresses the GPUs more in a real world sitiation.

If it's all one loop, run Prime 95 and one of the above at the same time.

kombustor = furmark = that evga thingie with the furry rotating thing...it's all the same.

cool, I am just looking for something to stress the gpu while I am running prime95 to see what my temps get up to.
Right now I am kind of at a stand still waiting for my tap to come in so that I can tap the compression fittings on the pumps. I don't want to mock everything up and then go to install it and have a fitment issue when the compressions are on there.
Once I put the compressions on the rad fittment was a lot tighter and is going to suck putting the all the tubing in.

I got my atx extension prepped and ready to be soldered to the mobo for the clean wireless case I am going for.
I just need to figure out how to hide the satas lol

Does anybody know if the EVGA SR-2 mobo fits regular ATX cases?
I would like to switch MOBO's so that I can fit another video card instead of just a pci card

sr2 = no go, even in the 800d you need a custom mobo tray...you also need server processors and what not.

run prime on all but 1 thread and run furmark, that's your worst case scenario

It's possible to fit in an 800D, but you have to mod it. And yeah, you have to use Xeon Procs. And not just any Xeon, has to be the dual QPI ones.

I might be able to whip up a picture of how much larger the board is, I think I have a standard ATX board laying around somewhere.

Back