• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chimp Challenge FAQ and Tips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

Chimp Challenge FAQ
================

* Fold under your own folding name, in the race. Be sure to use 32 as your team number.

* Qualified passkeys are the key to HUGE bonus points. If you don't have one, get it here:
123http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

Don't share your passkey - it ID's you to Folding@Home.

* To qualify for the HUGE bonus points you MUST have:

123451) A passkey

123452) With 10 work units completed successfully

123453) With at least an 80% success rate.

For maximum points, you need a qualified passkey at the start of the race!

* Race Starts on April 13th, At Noon, Pacific Daylight Savings Time (-7 UTC). Race Ends on April 23rd, at Noon.

* We'll be updating race results, throughout the race. At least two web sites will have direct race updates. Features are
123still being worked on, atm.

* This is a handicap race, with nine teams competing. We are a small sized team, but we fold like

G-I-A-N-T-S​
Hulk1.png

To do that, we need YOU and every bit of support you can give us, for ten days. It's all about a team coming together, for this one event.

*We won last year, and we L-O-V-E winning! Folding@Home's research project is always the real winner. :clap:

Odd thing about racing - the harder you try to win, the more you enjoy the race. This is without a doubt, the funnest thing you'll ever do in folding!

*Hulk image is the property of Marvel Comics.

Last edited:
Definitely larger than Vietnam Global - but still small compared to the folding teams we compete with most often:

CCSmallTeam.PNG

how about small teams team-up to have same number of active folders with big ones .. then the competition would be more fun :D

how about small teams team-up to have same number of active folders with big ones .. then the competition would be more fun :D

NoooO! I like the idea of us being the underdog. The small team from a small town, picked on our whole lives for being different, but with a burning passion to win because we wanna make momma proud. We will prevail because we have something that none of the other teams have... HUGE balls of steel! :attn:

Last edited:

It's too late this year to do "Team ups", because the handicap system is already set up in the website, but if you or your teammates want to race using team #32, you're welcome to join us.

We make a policy of paying back outside teams that help us, immediately after the race - with the good ship USS Poo Flinger. We make sure outside teams don't lose overall team points should they decide to race with us.

And you're quite welcome to post and share in the fun here. I wish I had known of your interest in this, a few weeks earlier.

NoooO! I like the idea of us being the underdog. The small team from a small town, picked on our whole lives for being different, but with a burning passion to win because we wanna make momma proud. We will prevail because we have something that none of the other teams have... HUGE balls of steel! :attn:

Point of Information: His team has only 35 members.

Damn .. you guys ain't have real BALLS .. must use steel balls :D. Sorry to hear that buddy. :p

Adak,.. It is just my idea. I'm not represent my team :D
It might be something you guys (CAPTAINS) wanna talk about next CC :D

That changes things.

Well, I was not up to date on Sbinh, either. He used to fold with Vietnam Global Team, but now he's folding with our buddies over at [H]ardOCP.

Last year we had several folders from [H] join us for the race, since their team decided not to race.

Great guys and wonderful folders! :thup:

We have discussed "Team Ups", and decided I believe they're OK, if:

1) the team teaming up, and the team being teamed up with, acknowledge their acceptance through a representative for their teams, and

2) the request is made at least 30 days before the start of the race. That way the handicap work has time to be changed, and get over to the web master.

NCIX and HWC will be doing that next year. For this year, NCIX will have to change their team number, however.

Last edited:
Thanks for info Adak. I will let my team captain know.

Regarding my stat :D .. it's hard to keep up with hahaha .. I go around and fold for few teams (BE: BleedInEdge, OCN - for awhile, [H]ard and mainly my team VGT)

Of course, i sure will come back to my team with CC starts.

I don't think anyone even needs to ask whether or not I'm going to try helping us win this thing or not, but I'm still going to figure out a way to get some payback for whoever moved this from the nice winter months to the warmest part of the year I've been on the site so far. :bang head

It would have been a bit of work to keep everything at maximum contribution levels in January.... now it's going to be a sacrifice of having an office space that is comfortable enough to actually use for more than ten minutes without needing to check for signs of heat stroke. :censored:

It would have been a bit of work to keep everything at maximum contribution levels in January.... now it's going to be a sacrifice of having an office space that is comfortable enough to actually use for more than ten minutes without needing to check for signs of heat stroke.
Mother nature is playing games on us here in the North East and has decided that winter isn't over yet. So I should be able to plug away pretty good without heat overload.

I should be able to get around 50k ppd out of my three rigs.

I don't think anyone even needs to ask whether or not I'm going to try helping us win this thing or not, but I'm still going to figure out a way to get some payback for whoever moved this from the nice winter months to the warmest part of the year I've been on the site so far. :bang head

It would have been a bit of work to keep everything at maximum contribution levels in January.... now it's going to be a sacrifice of having an office space that is comfortable enough to actually use for more than ten minutes without needing to check for signs of heat stroke. :censored:

The Chimp Challenge race prior to this year, has ALWAYS been in May -- usually May 5th -15th, last year even later. MUCH hotter than mid April.

The problem with January is getting the team Captains together and working out the details, in the preceding months - November and December. Just not very likely to happen at that time of year.

@Mandrake - good to hear!

The Chimp Challenge race prior to this year, has ALWAYS been in May -- usually May 5th -15th, last year even later. MUCH hotter than mid April.

The problem with January is getting the team Captains together and working out the details, in the preceding months - November and December. Just not very likely to happen at that time of year.

@Mandrake - good to hear!

I'm not saying I thought it was unusually late compared to past years. I'm just saying my feelings were a bit hurt that nobody asked me for my schedule before planning for all the other participants. :p

Running the newest Client on 3 rigs, however my GTX670s havent gotin any load, Status page says they are "Waiting for Idle"

Does this mean they will eventually get work?

Done and done. That worked. Should have already done that....

Whats this news about the new Core17, with they automatically get those work units, or do I have to do something to get those units?

Done and done. That worked. Should have already done that....

Whats this news about the new Core17, with they automatically get those work units, or do I have to do something to get those units?

Core 17 is the newest beta for GPU folding.... for you, there is no real reason to actively seek them out, as you look to be folding with Nvidia cards that are either seeing no gain or slight losses from the newest optimizations. It's the AMD GPU's that are getting a new lease on life- the PPD output of a card running 100% load is up, there are no issues with only pushing 30% GPU capacity like there often has been with the old WU's and newer AMD drivers, and there is no longer the need to designate a CPU core away from its own folding to feeding the graphics card.

If you want to get assigned these right now you need to add the beta flag to the client type of your card's F@H control slot, so you can pretty much just ignore the whole situation for now- at least until there is any word that Nvidia has seen worthwhile improvement in future revisions of the core 17 project.

Gotcha, I do have a Radeon 5830 to toss in a rig...would that be of any use?

Back