• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW CGMiner mods support different gpu-threads and more!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gungeek

Reposted from the Mixing GPU's thread, by request.

At litecointalk.org, I found discussion that linked to a modified version of cgminer 3.7.2. It allows a different number of gpu-threads in the same configuration file, higher intensity settings, and other improvements.
I've ran it for a day and it seems to work as advertised. See the attached config file and miner screen shot. Look for the yellow arrowheads :)

The 7970 (GPU 0; 2 gpu threads) and 7950 (GPU 1; 1 gpu thread) played nice in the same system using only 1 config file.

Investigate the changes and proceed with caution if you decide to use, but it may be a reasonable solution to a common issue. The updates/changelog and other source files are located at this link: http://k-dev.net/cgminer/

Original litecointalk.org thread link: https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=13243.0
I did some searching for Kalroth, both on litecointalk.org and the internet. He seems to be a known programmer in the mining universe.

Ivanlabrie excitedly ran with this info and found the recent release/update of sgminer with the above and even more features. sgminer: See page 6 of this thread for all the detail: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742126

Attachments

• conf.GIF
    conf.GIF
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,288
  • shot.GIF
    shot.GIF
    21 KB · Views: 1,411
Last edited:
I got this set up and working. I can confirm that it does work with thread counts of 2 and 1 simultaneously.
I swapped out the motherboard in this rig and have not had a chance to mess with any other settings, yet.
I did see that cgwatcher will not accept multiple values for threads, so I didn't get cgwatcher going yet.

I switched over to sgminer last night. It was posted in another thread, links to a reddit thread. Has those features added and a couple more. Looks to be working well so far

so strange, didnt the old one run g 1,2 as well ? from the conf file, without cgwatcher

btw Jan, do post some results, btw does cgwatcher support it ?

Results are pretty much the same right now for sgminer, as I don't have cards that need different thread amounts. CGwatcher doesn't directly support it, but if you rename sgminer to cgminer it works just fine. From what I understand there are some improved cl and bin files for different TC levels (below what my 290x runs at) that are worth trying.
linkarooski:

My numbers are up overnight, just because I can run 2 threads on my 7970. I am going to try it on my other machine too. The different clock that can be set on exit should be good for gaming.

Sgminer had worse performance for my 6850... but I couldn't figure out how to set the TC, so that's probably why.

the bios updates by the stilt seem to resolve the need for the multiple thread values. With the updated bios he posted for me this morning, my 7950 runs 2 threads, tc16384,1100/1500, i13 at ~590kh. I am now getting 1.35mh from one 7970 and one 7950.
people may want to check the thread, there are a couple of 7870 bioses listed, if i remember correctly.

only thing about flashing new bios on the cards is that is kinda tempting fate... cards have warranties to worry about!

http://k-dev.net/cgminer/

Per the changelog, in the last few days Kalroth has added some interesting options to his fork of the cgminer 3.7.2 mods. Most interesting is much finer tuning of the intensity level as well as a basic explanation of how the original intensity level works. I have not tried the newest version, but thought some might be interested. The only issue I've found with the Jan 10 version of Kalroth's cgminer mod is the enter key on my numberpad doesn't work.

Last edited:
Finally had the chance to upgrade to this version and I'm pretty happy with my results. Between flashing bios of my 7970 which was maxing just under 600khs... "Optimized" bios from the stilt moved me up to 730khs, and now that I can run 2 threads on my 7970 and 1 on my 7850's, I'm getting high 770khs' on my 7970.

Finally had the chance to upgrade to this version and I'm pretty happy with my results. Between flashing bios of my 7970 which was maxing just under 600khs... "Optimized" bios from the stilt moved me up to 730khs, and now that I can run 2 threads on my 7970 and 1 on my 7850's, I'm getting high 770khs' on my 7970.

What does your .bat file look like for the 7970? I would much appreciate some help switching over to this stuff.

I am at 770 on 7970. Get stilt bios from the list at litecointalk, then set 1100/1500.
My conf is i13, tc 16384, 2 threads.

What does your .bat file look like for the 7970? I would much appreciate some help switching over to this stuff.

cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://pool:port -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD -I 13 -g 2 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 8192 --gpu-engine 1080 --gpu-memclock 1500 --temp-cutoff 95

Basically the same as xsuperbgx, except I get a few better khs w/ 8192... Start w/ these settings and tweak one setting at a time and find your cards sweet spot!

Has anyone gotten cgwatcher to work when using multiple values for threads?
I always get an error about my conf.

Back