• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1:1 confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dvd_maniac

Registered
I am new, and yes I tried to search for the answer to this.
but here goes...
I am going to a comp show tommorow to buy some memory. I have 2x512 samsung DDR400 sticks(not sure what model)
I want to know if I get better, faster memory(DDR500 for instance), will I be able to up the FSB without loosing 1:1 ratio?
I have a p4c800 DX
P4c 2.8 stock cooling
AIW 9700 Pro
475Watt Power Supply (should I upgrade this?)
2x120 seagate SATA raid0
2x80 WD ice100 reaid0 on promise PCI card
2 dvd burners

Jognt

All round good guy
but, the lower the latencies ;) (not alwyas tho) there are also pc3200 (DDR400) sticks that i saw reaching high speeds too...

hawtrawkr

what type of powersupply do you have atm and why are you wondering if its enough or not? reason i ask is if your seeing your rails drop considerably you might have a cheap psu in which case a 475watt rating doesnt really mean much at all. if its a quality psu and you arent having stability problems now that psu should be able to power quite a bit and still have juice for more.

OP
D

dvd_maniac

Registered
just bought new psu

I just bought a 550 with a couple of fans on it. Also has SATA power connectors too. Antec true is the brand.
Also bought a thermaltake tower with 7 case fans, 2 512 Corsair xms 3500 ram chips and a new heatsink for the P4 2.8c (tornado I think) I hope this will all help...:cool:

OP
D

dvd_maniac

Registered
another question if I may

I was wondering if I could get better overclocking results if I had 4 512 Corsairs XMS3500 instead of two, or would that actually hinder it?

hawtrawkr

i dont think adding more ram would help the oc anymore it may hinder it a bit though putting more strain on the northbridge but im not 100% on that.

i hear alot of people say they get higher mem bandwith scores with 2 256 sticks compared to 2 512 but ive never checked the diffrences myself. think the big advantage you get is when you go from one stick to 2 in a dual channel mode