• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1090T hexacore & Corsair H50

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fwupow

Ha! I don't even want to overclock my system! I wasn't sure if I should put this in the cooling forum or here. I'm curious about the temps other folks are getting with AMD 1090T and Corsair H50, that's why I went AMD specific.

Every 6 months, it's a new hobby for me! I'm just trying to get my temps as low as possible. After getting the H50 installed and bouncing about the internet, I soon discovered that blowing more air through the H50 is one key to lower temps.

So my idle cpu temp, at first, was about 28C and Prime 95 full load max temp was about 45.5C. My board temp was about 33C.

After some fiddling and diddling, I discovered that my case air flow left something to be desired. I switched my lone 12cm case fan from back exhaust to Front Intake and dropped the mainboard temp to 25C and cpu to full-load 44C.

I had to mount the H50 in my 3 vacant 5.25" drive bays and it's sucking air through the breatheable drive bay covers. This was because my ASUS 890GX mobo has a high-rise cpu power conn which was totally blocked when I initially mounted the Rad/Fan to the rear of the case.

Anyhow, I discovered that blowing air up the motherboard and, presumably across the cpu socket and under the H50 cold-plate/pump quickly knocked about 5 degrees off my cpu temp. Doing this, however required holding the fan by hand. No side panel mounting position offered the same reward.

I plan to do all kinds of experiments with air-horns, ducts, air-straighteners, shrouds, higher power fans etc in the near future, as soon as I get the supplies.

So if anybody has any recommendations or has achieved lower temps on a similar set-up, let me know. I can't do the 120mm x 38mm screaming Delta fan thing though :eek: I'll update this thread in the upcoming weeks with whatever I discover on my own.

Welcome to OCF.
I've been attempting to find the perfect air flow for years now.
My recent 3 cases have fans above the CPU blowing out the top of the case.
For the mobo trick, I mount a 90mm to 120mm fan to the back of the 3 bays where it is close to the board blowing directly on it. I'm also running a 140mm front intake and 2 120mm exhausts mounted. You are correct, it's all about airflow.

Welcome to OCF....

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I haven't paid as much attention to case-airflow as I should have. My Thermaltake Wing RS101 case is not nearly as good as the ones you have been/are using when it comes to fan options.

Based on my experiences yesterday, I think that a big honking fan in the side panel toward the low end of the mobo as well as a large top-rear fan would be very effective.

The thing that stops me from buying a new case is that I really want to be able to locate the H50 in the upper front and most cases don't have fans up there, or only have three 5.25" drive bays or don't have drive bay covers that you can suck air through.

For now, I guess, I'll just save money and see what I can accomplish by modifying my existing case.

If you get the right length bolt you can mount the fan on the outside of the case to, hopefully, handle any clearance issues a 120x38mm would cause. ;)

I ran my rear fan as an intake for years on my old Opty system. Worked very well for keeping the MOSFETs and NB cool and should work good with an H50 as well ... :)

You're wasting your money by spending it on aftermarket cooling if you're not going to overclock it. The standard cooler is more than adequate for stock frequencies and voltages unless your room temperature is excessively high.

You're wasting your money by spending it on aftermarket cooling if you're not going to overclock it. The standard cooler is more than adequate for stock frequencies and voltages unless your room temperature is excessively high.

That is kind of obvious. The point here is he is going for as cold of a processor as possible at stock settings. Its some thing to do just for the pure fun of it. Id be interested to see what happens.

Actually a cheap Sunbeam or Xigmetek direct pipe will knock ten degs off. I was 54 on the stocker and 45 on the Xig.

Last edited:
Im currently experimenting with a 1090t & h50 push pull with 2 shrouds, half mounted outside the case. I have added 2 Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpm today & the core temp @ stock I think was 22c with the lid open. Also silent as you can get & can hardly hear her pur now.

I am aiming for 4ghz & read somewhere if you arnt idleing at 27 min, forget aiming for 4ghz stable. Dunno if this is true, but seems to work when doing stress tests :confused:
Anyway temps have lowered alot & can now keep her [email protected]. but high voltage 1.5
Goodluck with your mission Fwupow.:cool:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2ghz - Arctic Silver 5 - Ambient Temp: 70F/21C

The top of the CPU is 25C and this is correct, my motherboard has a digital read out from the BIOS and it is accurate.

About the 27c idle minimum, iv'e hit 4225ghz (325x13) and been able to bench, solid, i have a problem getting my NB to 2900 mhz stable, even tho my RAM is 1T, it just won't take it.

Attachments

• 1090noctua.jpg
    1090noctua.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 294
Back