• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1150 Socket Upgrade Options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yamitoko

Hey Everyone,

So, awhile back (09/2015) I built my current build with a Haswell i5-4590 1150 Socket. I'm starting to see it's end I believe as I'm feeling like it's bottlenecking me quite a bit when I'm gaming. It's not overclocked, and never has been. I'm looking into potentially purchasing a different 1150 socket just to kind of carry the build along for another year or two. I'm willing to spend about $300 on a new CPU, and I'm turning to the best place I know to get advice regarding what upgrades would be worth the money, and which ones wouldn't.

It appears that pretty much every option I have is going to be a quad-core CPU, at the moment I'm looking at the i7-4770 for $266 on Newegg (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE7N42979) Is that CPU going to be worth the extra money and provide enough of a boost to last me another year or two of gaming regularly? Are there any other options that would be a worthwhile investment to carry the rig on for another couple of years until I'm ready to invest in a new build?

Current Specs:
AsRock H97 Pro4
Intel i5-4590 Haswell @3.3GHz
EVGA 1070 FTW2
G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 1866
1 Samsung EVO 850 250GB
1 Samsung EVO 850 500GB
1 WDD Black 1TB
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W PSU
Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

Thanks In Advance!

You will not only need a new, unlocked "k" CPU but you will need a new motherboard with a "Z" chipset. The "H" chipset boards will only allow you to overclock the cores to the stock turbo frequency of the CPU.

Yeah you're kind of at that point to consider just getting a z390 motherboard and perhaps an inexpensive 8th gen cpu (to save on cost) of which you can upgrade at a later date. That's what I would do if the budget was about $300. I'm really only suggesting this because as you would need to buy new ram as well, ram prices have dropped considerably.

Just price this route out and see what you come up w/ so at least you know your options if your going to spend around that much money anyway.

So what you are saying is that to even make it worth it to do an upgrade on the 1150 Chipset it would require me to overclock a 4th gen CPU and instead I should just move my build to a more current generation? I can probably comfortably put about $500-600 total between CPU/MOBO/RAM. Any recommendations of what you guys would purchase with that budget around my current other hardware?

Last edited:
So what you are saying is that to even make it worth it to do an upgrade on the 1150 Chipset it would require me to overclock a 4th gen CPU and instead I should just move my build to a more current generation?

Really it depends on what you are using it for. It can't hurt to spend some time overclocking what you currently have to see if that fits the bill, but 4th gen is still a bit old and yet perfectly fine for many people. I'm just saying if you were going to spend $300, it's good to look at your options for future upgrades rather than spending money just to have your back against the wall where you would then need a new motherboard, ram, and processor on your next upgrade anyway.

Sorry, I ninja edited while you were replying it would appear. My primary function for it is gaming and then some light browsing/media consumption in the way of Netflix/Youtube and other basic things. I'm not doing any crazy encoding or rendering or anything of that nature. Mostly playing games while watching shows.

Sorry, I ninja edited while you were replying it would appear. My primary function for it is gaming and then some light browsing/media consumption in the way of Netflix/Youtube and other basic things. I'm not doing any crazy encoding or rendering or anything of that nature. Mostly playing games while watching shows.

perhaps look at the recommended specs for the games that your playing to help you make a decision. I'm mainly into Battlefield V so I ensured my system was more than enough to play it on ultra settings while my wife can still stream a show or movie from my pc via PLEX w/ out any buffering for either of us.

the i5-4590 he currently has will only overclock to all cores to the turbo level. If you move to one of the newer technology generations you will not only need to get an "k" CPU and a "Z" motherboard but you will also need to move up to DDR 4 RAM.

I would suggest looking at the 9600k. For $500-$600 you should be able to pull this off since you already have all the other system components.

9600k is about $280

A good mid range "Z" board is about $150. Most any will do. Is your case a mid or full tower so that it will house a full ATX board or is it a smaller case that needs a mATX board?

16gb of DDR4 3200 mhz RAM is about $135

You may also need to invest in better CPU cooling if you are intending to overclock. The 9th generation Intels run hot when overclocked.

the i5-4590 he currently has will only overclock to all cores to the turbo level. If you move to one of the newer technology generations you will not only need to get an "k" CPU and a "Z" motherboard but you will also need to move up to DDR 4 RAM.

I would suggest looking at the 9600k. For $500-$600 you should be able to pull this off since you already have all the other system components.

9600k is about $280

A good mid range "Z" board is about $150. Most any will do. Is your case a mid or full tower so that it will house a full ATX board or is it a smaller case that needs a mATX board?

You may also need to invest in better CPU cooling if you are intending to overclock. The 9th generation Intels run hot when overclocked.
This. :)

(Out of thanks, lol)

I can probably comfortably put about $500-600 total between CPU/MOBO/RAM. Any recommendations of what you guys would purchase with that budget around my current other hardware?

If it's not to long of a drive, at Microcenter in Cambridge MA you can pickup a 6 core i5-9600K combo for $405 plus tax:

i5-9600K - $219.99
ASRock Z390 Pro4 - $74.99 (with $30 combo discount)
G.Skill 2 x 8GB DDR4-3200 CL16 - $109.99

9600k is about $280

Thank you for the thorough response and everyone else for the replies. I'll look into these options though I'm still a bit uncertain about Overclocking, it's just not something I've really delved into in my lifetime yet. If it comes around to that though, I'll grab an H100 or something.

Thanks again guys!

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

If it's not to long of a drive, at Microcenter in Cambridge MA you can pickup a 6 core i5-9600K combo for $405 plus tax:

i5-9600K - $219.99
ASRock Z390 Pro4 - $74.99 (with $30 combo discount)
G.Skill 2 x 8GB DDR4-3200 CL16 - $109.99

Awesome, thank you for the response! My buddy and I were just talking about possibly making a run up there. I might have to do that very thing tomorrow! It's only about 45 minutes away.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

I ended up grabbing the i5-9600K, a Gigabyte Z390 Gaming board and the 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 3200.

Major improvements and I'm already really feeling them.

I'm glad you are pleased with the direction you took. I just didn't seem wise to me to invest significant money into old technology when for not much more you could be current and have much better performance at the same time. With you current CPU cooler you can probably achieve a mild overclock if you are interested.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

I ended up grabbing the i5-9600K, a Gigabyte Z390 Gaming board and the 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 3200.

Major improvements and I'm already really feeling them.

How many FPS did you gain in gaming? When I went from 4c4t to 6c6t I did not have any gaming improvement with GTX 1070.

Back