• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1261 AMD system or $1429 Intel System?...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TimoneX said:
I wouldn't...unless of course your furnace is on the fritz and you need your PC to heat your room too. ;p

My amd xp already heats my room, i like it nice and warm, I kno my next system will be an a64, i am not gonna be encoding and what not much at all so, theres my point. But from what he plans on, i would get an intel.

yea i'm leanin' back towards p4 3.4ghz

all the reviews, the p4 is ahead of the a64 in encoding and thats what i'm going to be doing most and heavy multi-tasking...

going to start orderin' parts in 3 weeks (CASE, DVD burner & 74GB HDD)

but ya'll saying not to get the abit fatality board?...

which board for the p4 is best for overclocking/stability?

ASUS "P5AD2-E Premium" i925XE Chipset Motherboard
or
ABIT "Fatal1ty AA8XE" 925XE Chipset Motherboard

Last edited:
after reading numerous reviews and such i'm optin' for p4. its best for encodin' and will easily do 4+ghz which will be even sweeter

i will begin orderin' parts in 3 weeks (Case, BIX3 & a dremel) to begin moddin' the case for the Blackice extreme 3 rad. gon fit it directly on top. rest of parts will follow as money comes

this is what i think is the final system build

P4 3.4ghz Prescott.........................................................................................$281.00
ABIT AA8XE...................................................................................................$248.00
OCZ Platinum EB R.2 LE DC Kit 1GB(512MBx2) DDR2 PC2-4200......................$415.00
Pioneer DVR-108.............................................................................................$80.00
Western digital 74GB 10k RPM SaTA...............................................................$185.00
Western Digital 200GB....................................................................................$105.00
Western Digital 200GB....................................................................................$105.00
Asus 6800GT (256mb).....................................................................................$450.00
Lian Li Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Model PC-75B.......................................$220.00
TOTAL.....................................$1974.00

donny_paycheck said:
Don't take their bait dude. All you're paying for is show. Take batboy's advice and shy away from any motherboard marketed toward "gamers" unless it can seriously justify its claims with added functionality. Most of them can't, and all you end up paying for are pretty colors and a case decal. IMO most of it just gets in the way anyway. I like my systems lean and minimalist.

I agree with batboy and Donny, but I like it Lean, Mean and Quiet over Donny's, lean and minimalist preference.

-disclaimer, I will never buy an AMD, but that doesn't mean I don't like them and recommend them to others :)

Soccrstar, think twice about getting that listed OCZ RAM if you get the Abit AA8XE. I have both and I can't get the RAM to work because they are incompatible. OCZ is looking into this matter, but I haven't heard back from them lately. I'm temporarily using some cheap Samsung PC2-3200 RAM (which does 275 FSB by the way) until I can get things worked out or exchange the OCZ RAM. If I had it to do over again, I probably should of got the Crucial DDR2 (others say it overclocks very well). If you are serious about going ahead and trying the OCZ Platinum EB R.2 LE DC Kit 1GB(512MBx2) DDR2 PC2-4200 anyway, PM me first.

Silversinksam said:
I agree with batboy and Donny, but I like it Lean, Mean and Quiet over Donny's, lean and minimalist preference.

-disclaimer, I will never buy an AMD, but that doesn't mean I don't like them and recommend them to others :)
Hey, this is an overclocker's forum. Mean is assumed!

Back