• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 "Green" WD HDDs (1TB and 750GB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ach3r0n

I was looking for a low-power drive to store media on my new HTPC and came across these. The 1TB is $9-10 more than the lowest price I've ever seen but it's still a good price imho.

WD Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA II 7200 RPM 32MB, OEM - $92 @ ZZF w/ free shipping - 2% cashback ($90.16 OTD) if you use MS Live Search.

Western Digital Caviar Green 750 GB, 16 MB Cache, 5400 RPM SATA II WD7500AACS, OEM - $64.99 @ Amazon w/ free shipping. Better price per GB if you don't need the extra 250GB. No idea how well Amazon packages these.

Keep in mind that "green" drives vary their speed from 5400rpm to 7200rpm depending on the amount of drive access. This should be expected to lower your seek times to 5400rpm timings when doing low bandwidth disk operations.

Yep. If performance was my goal, I'd go for an RE3. The Green drive will be used solely for media storage in my HTPC. No need for it to be superfast.

Wow, I'm really wanting one of these for $60 now...I have a 640 and 2x36 Raptors right now...no need though. I guess I should wait until I need one and then they will be even cheaper.

Wow, I'm really wanting one of these for $60 now...I have a 640 and 2x36 Raptors right now...no need though. I guess I should wait until I need one and then they will be even cheaper.
I bought one a couple of weeks ago for $60, but then the price went back up to $75 or so. Today is the first day it's back down to $60, so I wouldn't count on it staying there. At this price I'm tempted to buy another one for use in an external enclosure, but I really don't need it. :)

RE3 I've been fond of lately, have 4 of em on an Areca 1210 now and score about 380 Ms or so in HD Tune in the array, but yeah they a bit pricey :)Burst isn't nearly what the Raptors are but wasn't intended to be that kind of a drive I guess in the first place.

One of em alone is about as fast as one of my old Raptors in general scoring, I tried it out when I was buying my first one, but no they dont run an OS as fast as a raptor with seek times and burst speeds it seems.

They make fantastic storage though, as I guess what they were intended for to begin with. They kinda built like M-1 Abram HD's :)

Obviously you are aware of that was just cruising by thought Id pop a message in.

BTW if anyone interested got an E-mail other day if ya use this promo code atm EMCLRML24 the 1TB WD RE3's on the egg are 149.99, cheaper than I paid just thought I stick it out there.

Samsung Spinpoint 1TB for 89 bucks with EMCLRML25 but I've never used a spinpoint myself, Im kinda a WD fan but thought Id include that promo too.

Frig while I'm at it and reading it OCZ Vertex 60Gig SSD's for 189.00 with promo EMCLRML29

The SSD's still make me a bit nervous myself honestly. Even with the speed boost, loosing your whole O/S every time there's a firmware upgrade, an unintentional reboot, or just the fact they have a limited amount of writes in their lifespan if I'd read somewhere correctly it appears over all makes me a bit leary yet on those things still. No matter how fast they are :)

Free shipping all the above.

*just to add, maybe they've changed. All the last 4 OEM HD's Id gotten from the egg had about two layers of bubble wrap around the plastic case and were buried in shipping peanuts so maybe they've wised up a bit there*

Last edited:
Yeah NewEgg has been very competitive lately on pricing. I buy just about everything there except my OEM HDDs due to their poor packing job.
Huh? I buy all of my HDDs from Newegg and I've never had a problem with packing. They always come wrapped about 3 times with the big bubble wrap in an appropriately-sized box. The HDDs seem very well protected when they're packed like that.

I just put 3 1TB greenpower drives in my HTPC.

While the energy savings feature may be useful the low STR and slight lag when opening files on those harddrives is becoming annoying.

FYI about the 750GB GP drive - it's the 750GB equivalent of the first generation 1TB GP drive WD10EACS w/ 16MB cache and based upon 250GB platters rather than the newer 1TB WD10EADS w/ 32MB cache and 333GB platters. The latter perform much better, especially in application testing, they are competitve with many 7200RPM drives from other brands. Now what we really need are 2 platter 1TB drives using the 500GB platters from the 1.5TB and 2TB drives. :) Actually I expect that to happen but it may be a stealth change with no way to know from the part number.

i picked up a 750gb "green" to use as backup in my dock and it works great.

reading some of the dock reviews people were complaining about drives getting very hot, i have had this thing running 24/7 for two weeks and it barely gets warm in the dock

Back