• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 "Green" WD HDDs (1TB and 750GB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A better deal since it's an -EADS and only a little higher $/GB.
Well, not for everyone. Since I plan to use these as backup and media storage drives, the $/GB is the most important factor for me. The $/GB ratio is ~12% higher on the 1 TB drive. I've purchased two of the 750 GB drives for this reason.

It's $.086/GB for the 750 at $65 versus $.09/GB for the 1TB at $90, 4.6% not 12% higher. The absolute price difference of $25 may be more important to some people but the price/GB difference is minor and countered by the better performance.

Actually, it's $0.08/GB for the 750. It's $59.99 w/ free shipping from Newegg. (My math isn't THAT bad). I really don't give much weight to the performance of a backup/media storage drive. I seriously doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between the two drives considering how they will be used. But different strokes for different folks.

Well for my uses 750 won't work. I'll end up buying 20 of these 1TB green drives. I have 6 already in my rackmount RAID6 server.

Actually, it's $0.08/GB for the 750. It's $59.99 w/ free shipping from Newegg. (My math isn't THAT bad). I really don't give much weight to the performance of a backup/media storage drive. I seriously doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between the two drives considering how they will be used. But different strokes for different folks.

I was going by the OP pricing, I didn't see the $60 Newegg price. I also value storage density but that's because storage drives for me are in a server running WHS. Different strokes.

I was going by the OP pricing, I didn't see the $60 Newegg price. I also value storage density but that's because storage drives for me are in a server running WHS. Different strokes.
In post #8 I mentioned the lower Newegg price. I thought the OP would update the original post to reflect the lower price, but apparently his bad experience with Newegg's packing job (see post #11) leads him to believe that it's worth paying the extra $5 to get it from Amazon. :confused:

NewEgg does have a bit of a bad reputation on packing HDDs. They do wrap them in bubble-wrap and pack in peanuts, but several complaints have been submitted where at least 1 corner of the HDD was exposed or covered in 1 flat bubble and also that the HDDs were against a side or corner in the box rendering the peanuts useless if the box is hit the wrong way. All the HDDs I've ordered from NewEgg have arrived in working order, but on a couple occasions I thought the corners were a bit too exposed.

I ordered 2 of the 1TB Green drives from ZZF just a few weeks back and was very impressed w/ the Styrofoam containers that the HDDs came in.

Back