• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.0GHz SL6WK L351B158 30 Caps OC Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KRich

Hi Guys,

You may remember me from my 3.0GHz SL6WK L349 OC'ing posts and now i'm back to share some OC'ing results with a 3.0GHz SL6WK L351B158 03/02/04 CPU (30 Caps) which is from the same batch as Fuzion's brilliant 4GHz chip.

I got it about 10 days ago from PCSupplySource via a friend and so i've had a fair time to now play around with it and see what it has got in it.

Just to remind everyone, here are the most important specs of the rest of my system:

ABIT IC7-G V1.1 Motherboard, 1GB (2 x 512MB) Mushkin PC3200 2-2-2 Special DDR RAM, Sapphire Atlantis ATI Radeon 9700 Graphics Card, Thermalright SP-94 w/ Vantec 92MM Tornado Fan on Vantec Fan Controller, Antec True Power 550 Watt Power Supply Unit and 2 x Maxtor 120GB SATA Drives In RAID 0 Configuration on Intel ICH5R

Well, at the moment it isn't a wonder chip at all, though that may be due to the motherboard? or the memory? or the power supply?

Let me explain:

Well, you may remember that with the L349, I couldn't get it stable past around 240 - 244 FSB and anything past that, the system would either fail P95 (Dual Instances) or just reboot (the HDD's actually powering down as well but the system rebooting).

I tried everything in the BIOS, stripped the system down, tried pretty much everything I could think of such as VCore, VDIMM, AGP Voltages, Memory timings, GAT settings and so on but just couldn't get it past 240 - 244 FSB stable - at around 1.65V - anything past that, even 1 FSB and the problems listed above would start.

The temps were very high (around 70 degrees celsius) though the IC7-G reads about 10 degrees celsius higher than the actual temps and though I tried two HSF's it was the same problem eventhough case cooling was ample and very good.

You guys suggested a change of HSF as a good way of going and I bought a Thermalright SP-94 - an excellent drop in temps, but still a no go anything over 240 - 244 FSB but well worth it just because of the cooler temps.

This L351 seems to exhibit the same behaviour for some reason - I can get it to 250FSB (It posts and gets in to XP with as little as stock voltage and runs fine (Not P95 stable), but regardless of VCore which i've taken up to 1.675 and regardless of relaxed timings, VDIMM, AGP Voltage, GAT Settings and so on, though it is Dual Prime95 Stable for the short time i've managed to test it so far, I get BSOD after BSOD in XP, Internet Explorer crashing, Explorer Crashing and so on.

0x0000007e, 0x0000007f, 0x0000008e, 0x00000024 and so on - the system just BSOD's, the power to the HDD's cuts and the system just reboots.

I've stripped the system down, disconnected Optical Drives, tried the HDD's on both the Intel ICH5R and the Silicon Image Chip, got rid of PCI Cards, played around with all the BIOS settings imaginable, tried a different PSU, tried 1 stick of RAM in all the slots and alternated them, changed the TIM on the NB HSF to AS5, as you can see, pretty much everything.

The CPU feels like there is more in it - it posts up to 260FSB and a little bit more fine.

I've run Memtest for several hours and everything is perfect, no errors, no nothing - but load Windows and the fun starts, BSOD'ing here, there and everywhere.

I had some Corsair PC3200 XMS and that did the same thing so I don't feel it is the memory, PSU i've tried a different one and same problem so I don't think that is the problem, second CPU now that i've tried with similar behaviour - perhaps i've got two CPU's which have roughly the same limit, motherboard - could be the problem I think.

Any ideas guys on what the problem could be?

So far then, if I could get it stable at 250FSB it would be brilliant but so far even that isn't happening - not BSOD'ing at the moment, but i've had to set CAS to 2.5 which I shouldn't need to do as the memory is rated to 2-2-2- at 200MHz, it passed Memtest fine at 2-2-2-5 but having problems.

Temps are on load around 55 degrees celsius which includes the extra that the IC7-G reads.

At the moment then, I would say average for this chip - it seems to have more in it though, maybe....

Fuzion, it would be cool to know how your second L351 does buddy so we can compare :)

Still playing around with it though so who knows.

Bummer Krich! Seems like you have tried everything that you should. You didn't mention the ram/cpu ratios....which ones did you use to get 250fsb? 5:4 seems to be a bit easier on the chip....di you try that? I'm sure you did if you only have pc3200.

If I were you I would try a new mobo....try the Asus 875 P4C800.

I have the same fpo chip coming Wed, I hope its a good OC'er.:rolleyes:

I guess what Fuzion really meant is "on ARCTIC air" so stop wasting your time and money.

Last edited:
ar7786 said:
I guess what Fuzion really meant is "on ARCTIC air" so stop wasting your time and money.

I really resent that comment. I have been very truthful and I thought helpfull by giving all of the info I possibly could. My air setup is no different than anyone elses, in fact I live in the South and it costs a fortune to keep my house around 75F during the summer. I have no extra cooling, no ducting, no nothing....

Now...KRich

My other L351 did great. It topped at 3.9GHz, but that was on a 1.65v vcore. It'll boot into windows at 4GHz, but I can't get it stable enough to call it.

Since you having the same issues with different chips, I'm leaning towards a mobo issue more than a CPU or RAM issue. the IC7-G I owned gave me nothing but troubles, which included a corrupted BIOS everytime I would OC too far. Problems with the "G" are few, but they still happen

Have you noticed any bad vcore fluctations?

Have you tried running on a fresh install of XP?

It's all about luck bro. I've had 4 WK 30 caps. None of the 4 can reach 260 stable.

1st(L401a726) - 250fsb prime stable at 1.7v in bios
2nd(L401a726) - 252fsb prime stable at 1.7v in bios
3rd(L350bxxx) - can't even get past 245fsb with any voltage
4th(L349a762) - 240fsb prime stable at 1.7v in bios

You see all were new batch and none of them can reach 260 prime stable. Fartest I've bench with the 2nd one is 264 fsb but prime isn't stable at all.

So to get a good OC chip is depend on all luck and seem that I'm in no luck at all finding a 4 ghz chip hehehe. So I think no matter if the batch is indentical or not it still perform very differently.

krag - Cheers for the input buddy. I did indeed forget to mention the RAM Dividers I tried :) I've tried both 5:4 and 3:2 but there is no difference at all - the same issues occur - I guess that rules out the RAM even more because it is Memtest stable at 5:4, 3:2, tight timings, GAT settings tweaked and so on.

Thanks for the advice regarding trying a different motherboard.

I hope your SL6WK L351 gives you excellent results - please keep us updated as to how you get on with it as it will be a very good comparision especially being from the same batch.

Fuzion - Cheers buddy for the input - Really pleased to hear that you second SL6WK L351 did well too and gets to 3.9GHz - Well done :)

Interesting to learn of your experiences with an IC7-G.

Thanks for your advice regarding trying a different motherboard too - It does sound like the most likely cause of the problems from all the testing done.

Voltages wise, on the VCore around 0.05v to 0.075v at load fluctuation from what is set in the BIOS - pretty normal I think.

Yes, i've done numerous installs of XP - funny thing is that when installing XP, the part where it says Press F6 to install RAID drivers and so on, when it loads all the drivers, it either hangs when loading a driver, or it gets to the Setting/Starting Up Windows and then BSOD's with an 0x0000007e or 0x0000007f or 0x0000008e if the FSB is set anything over 250FSB. The rest of the parameters are just 0x000000 or sometimes a 0x000000C1/D1.

oc_newbee - Thanks for the input buddy, very interesting to hear of your experiences with several 30 cap SL6WK's - Definitely right when you say it is all luck :)

I'm exactly in the same boat as you Krich. I have a SL6WK 30 cap L349 just like your first 3.0C and this one doesn't seem to be reacting to voltage increases above 248FSB.

It does pretty well at default running at 244FSB prime stable but like everyone else I want a wonder chip! I could even go up to 3.85Ghz and take a screen shot but i need stability first!

I even put my CPU up for sale this morning, thinking I should replace it with an L351 batch I saw at the store, same as Fusions.

I don't know, maybe I should just get a 3.4C as those will be higher binned or just keep my CPU as it is still faster than my 2.6C!

Good luck anyways! It seems yours will do at least 250fsb with a little voltage.

BTW, If you had an older CPU clocked at a higher FSB before, that ran stable, I highly doubt it would be your mobo. Most definately it's the 3.0C.

same thing happened to me. the "k" i got has exactly the same batch number and pack date as Fuzion. It runs happily at default voltage up to about 244fsb or so. No matter the voltage it wouldnt go past that on my IC7. I have pc4200 ram so no issues there. i sold it on ebay and gonna wait for the "Z" hopefully that will do better.

I have a 12 cap L350 2/26/04 packdate and an IC7-G. it was stable only to 240fsb on air, and would exceed 60c on load.

I switched to water (koolance Exos), 1.675V and is completely 24 hourDual prime stable at 250 fsb and 12 hour 3dmark01 loop stable.

This was my goal FSB so I have not spent my time trying for more.

I just wanted to add my input in case others had not read it in other posts. it may be luck, I am not sure.

scanido - Cheers for the feedback and input buddy, really interested to have heard of your very similar experiences with an L349 - Sounds very much like my L349 indeed - limit on it is around 240 to 244 FSB and past that, it is a no go.

Thanks for the best wishes - Good luck to you too whatever you decide to do - Perhaps if you are considering an L351, you should hang around to see what krag and others think of it as i've read on these boards that other people have ordered the same chip too so it should give you a good comparion.

I got this board new with the CPU so unfortunately i'm not in the position to be able to rule it out as the cause to the issues.

Cheers again and keep us posted as to what you decide to do and how you get on.

situman - Cheers for the input buddy, you had the same batch chip then as me too and seem to have had very similar results - Do you reckon it was the IC7 that is causing the problems (i.e could you get another CPU to clock stable higher than 244FSB on the board)?

kcstock - Pleased to hear your input too, cheers for that buddy. Out of interest, what are your temps now at full load since changing over to water cooling? Definitely sounds like the wall with the chip at 240FSB was due to the air cooling and you got further when the temps were lowered by water cooling. Would be nice to compare what load temps you have now please buddy so I can see how mine on air with this chip are doing.

Well now, i'm going to play around some more with this chip and the different settings to see how high I can get it stable and i'll keep this thread updated.

I'm going to hold off changing anything like the board e.t.c at the moment, just to hear how others get on with the chip too - from what i've read so far though, it could easily be the chip that has hit its limit, but then could easily be the motherboard as I have described what happens with the BSOD's anything near and over 250FSB which happened with both CPU's - maybe the memory but I still doubt that as Memtest is fine.

Cheers for the input, keep us posted please on how you all get on with these CPU's so we can perhaps compare the results :)

I am running an EXOS system with the CPU-NB-GPU loop.

My temps are taken from MBM5 on a abit IC7-G so the temp reports about 10c higher than on an Asus. (there is still controversy as to which is the actual temp)

Idle temp: 37-40
load temp: 47-50

a DELTA of 10c is much better than the more than 25c I saw on air cooling. so i am happy. :)

I have the same chip with the same batch number I get to 250 very easly at 1.575 vcore, prime stable I can load window at 3.9 but it is not stable anymore, at 4.0 i see the log with windows xp pro and then it freezes besides that chip runs fine

ok I managed to replace my CPU with an SL6WK just like Fusions.

FPO/BATCH: L351A
Pack Date: 03/02/04

When i opened the box i was surprised to find it doesn't have 30 caps! :mad:

Oh well, as long as it clocks better than the POS L349 I got It'll be happy. I noticed the default voltage is 1.525v, L349 one was 1.550v.

Gonna shoot for 250Fsb at default right away!

Well, I can get up to 3.85Ghz but it locks up in an hour of Priming. I can screen shot at 3.93Ghz for show, but we all know thats useless!

I am able to get it stable so far at 248fsb @ 1.675v 12hrs Prime95. I don't believe in burn-in so this is roughly the max for this CPU. I just want 3.8 stable!

I didn't test default voltage thoroughly, but it seems it's around 240FSB.

Overall, i am happier with this CPU but not ecstatic. This is the last SL6WK i try. Waiting for the latest stepping SL78Z now... and that's it!

Moral of the story, it doesn't matter if it's a SL6WK, SL6WU or 12 cap, 30cap, the average is around 245-255 tops on 3.0C CPUs! I'm talking Prime95 stable 12hrs+, not a 4Ghz screenshot!

Last edited:
True dat, most 3.0C seem to be max out on Air at around 240-255. Unless your the lucky person to find one of the best chip out there(like fuzion). Four of the one I tested were max out around that and one of them can post and run benchmark up to 262 but prime wasn't stable so I don't call it stable. I'm waiting to try the SL78Z once I spotted one. LMK if yah know a place that sell them, thanks.

scanido said:
Well, I can get up to 3.85Ghz but it locks up in an hour of Priming. I can screen shot at 3.93Ghz for show, but we all know thats useless!

I am able to get it stable so far at 248fsb @ 1.675v 12hrs Prime95. I don't believe in burn-in so this is roughly the max for this CPU. I just want 3.8 stable!

I didn't test default voltage thoroughly, but it seems it's around 240FSB.

Overall, i am happier with this CPU but not ecstatic. This is the last SL6WK i try. Waiting for the latest stepping SL78Z now... and that's it!

Moral of the story, it doesn't matter if it's a SL6WK, SL6WU or 12 cap, 30cap, the average is around 245-255 tops on 3.0C CPUs! I'm talking Prime95 stable 12hrs+, not a 4Ghz screenshot!

Welp fellas, I got my SL6WK today and popped it in my Asus p4c800-e. It is definately a better oc'ing chip than my SL6WU. I tried to prime 255fsb but it failed after 3 min. Right now I'm at 253 which is 3.79gig...I havent' primed it there yet. I have a 80mm fan blowing on the mosfets but....my sp-94 X plate is screwed! One of the 4 screw holes in it is freakin' stripped out...what gives?? I have babied that cooler too. Does anyone know where I can get an extra sp-94 X plate? Maybe thats whats holding me up? Just before it failed at 255fsb Asus temp probe gave me a reading of 52c...but I don't belive thats a failing temp.

My fpo & pack date are L351B158 3/2/04 W/30 caps!

Oh well, I'll just have to be satisfied with 3.79gig....I know its gonna be though but....:p :D

I'll try and play with it some more.

be happy with what you got krag, my L351xxx 3/2/04 with 30 caps maxed out at 240 with 1.55vcore..251 fsb is "no-boot" regardless of vcore/ other tweakings in both mobos.... it's prime stable at 240 fsb for 24 hrs.....i tried 2 mobos-p4c800-e and msi neo2-ls and got same results...im going back to 2.4c to make good use of my adata 4200's and ocz 4200el...

3.6 out of a 3.0c is not acceptable to me coz a 2.4c @ 3.4+ can easily outperform it...

OK just got a 3rd 3.0C! This one is as follows...

Sspec: SL6WK
FPO: 3407A (Costa Rica)
Pack Date: 03/24/04

Man I gotta seriously stop looking for a 4gig CPU!:rolleyes:

Hope this one does better than the last two! It's a very recent batch so hopefully it'll do better!

BTW, it's a 12 cap, but that does not matter, proven from my previous post.

scanido said:
OK just got a 3rd 3.0C! This one is as follows...

Sspec: SL6WK
FPO: 3407A (Costa Rica)
Pack Date: 03/24/04

Man I gotta seriously stop looking for a 4gig CPU!:rolleyes:

Hope this one does better than the last two! It's a very recent batch so hopefully it'll do better!

BTW, it's a 12 cap, but that does not matter, proven from my previous post.

HEHEHE I was chasing this thing like I was chasing a female or something. First I try 1 then 2 then 3 and now I stop at 4 for now util I spotted some SL78Z. But that was four WK in less that one month and still searching for that 4gig goddness. Good luck bro.

oc_newbee said:

HEHEHE I was chasing this thing like I was chasing a female or something. First I try 1 then 2 then 3 and now I stop at 4 for now util I spotted some SL78Z. But that was four WK in less that one month and still searching for that 4gig goddness. Good luck bro.

Hey man, I know exactly how it feels! I couldn't resist just one more try. I was like the 3rd has got to be the charm. This is my 3rd one in like 4 days!

So far 250FSb is out of the question! I put it up to 1.75v and it still reboots :mad:

This one is a 3.6gigger :rolleyes: I already know it. This one doesn't have the muscle! That's it, going to wait until an SL78Z or just splurge on a 3.4C SL793 (30 cap).

Yup, this game is ALL about LUCK!

Back