• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3dcool 156w Peltier runs on only 12v?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JML

That's what they claim at least. So does this mean I can use a normal computer PSU?! I could get a decent computer PSU pretty cheap.

The 156 watt TEC has a VMax of 16.9 volts and will run at reduced output on 12 volts. It needs a solid 11 amps. You can lower the voltage but don't reduce the current.

yep, just make sure you have the amperage supplied to it and you are ok.

unless you have a monster power suply the 12 volt suply on most can only suply 3.3amps and the pelt will draw more than the power suply can handle and coook the power suply

AMDgeek (May 09, 2001 10:22 p.m.):
unless you have a monster power suply the 12 volt suply on most can only suply 3.3amps and the pelt will draw more than the power suply can handle and coook the power suply

Check your label again AMD most PSU are lot higher than that
more like 13.3A, I think off the top of my head mine is about 16A
My calculations says you will require 13A for the pelt alone.

Kryten (May 09, 2001 10:45 p.m.):
AMDgeek (May 09, 2001 10:22 p.m.):

Check your label again AMD most PSU are lot higher than that
more like 13.3A, I think off the top of my head mine is about 16A
My calculations says you will require 13A for the pelt alone.

http://www.sparklepower.com/products.htm the 400 watt power suply has a 12 A max. I re read lable on my 300 watt and it has 10A max. so I mis read, but it is still is to low to power the pelt and your comp at the same time

The power supply I would use would be dedicated to the 156w pelt alone. I need one that can put out a lot of amps at 12v to handle the load, any suggestions?

I think my Enermax puts out a 15amps on the 12v line. That should be plenty to power a tec. Hell I run my 85w and system on the same PSU, 431w enermax. But I dont think I would do it with a 156w tec. I think that would be to much for it.

you can get 24V from a standard PSU
as voltage is potential difference....
a PSU has a +12 V and a -12V
is it just me or does anyone else also see 24V

jay (May 11, 2001 10:56 a.m.):
you can get 24V from a standard PSU
as voltage is potential difference....
a PSU has a +12 V and a -12V
is it just me or does anyone else also see 24V

Yeah you could get 24V but the -12V supply is only rated around 1 amp. So you connect a 156W pelt to it and you get a nice blue flash and the smell of burning, Nice !

most of them run at 12 volts so u can use it easly with u r pus, the problem is the amps, if u have anything else on the same psu it will kill it

Back