• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

500 FSB!!! (250x2)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mrspec3:
Any Vdd chipset mod? What Vdd voltage?
What chipset cooling?
Is the system stable under 3Dmark01/03 looping?

VDD was 2.1V
Vdimm 3.25V

3dmark....I don't do it. I have a GF2 MX400 so there is no point. I can play games so I figure its the same thing. Problem is though that after 10 mins or so sound usb and nic all die. I think the SB is over heating right now still

NB is cooled with a thermaltake SK-6

well i only said GCPUID because he wrote it and it does essentially the same thing, the only reson i would use WCPUID is because its more widly accepted... wait does GCPUID detect FSB? i forget- that would be antoehr reason lol :-/

mrspec3 said:
VDD was 2.1V
Vdimm 3.25V

3dmark....I don't do it. I have a GF2 MX400 so there is no point. I can play games so I figure its the same thing. Problem is though that after 10 mins or so sound usb and nic all die. I think the SB is over heating right now still

NB is cooled with a thermaltake SK-6

Put a passive heat sink on the SB with good air flow over it would improve stability at high FSB. It may even solve your stability problem. Adding cooling to SB (for sound and HD) is even more important since it usually comes with no cooling, and NB at least has some default cooling.

Pic for passive heat sink for SB cooling (on page 1)

I did that and it helps stability, though my FSB is not as high as yours, only around 210+ MHz at default chipset Vdd of 1.53V (measured).

Please try it and let us know, because that may be important for attaining stability at such high FSB (250 MHz as yours).

Which method of chipset set Vdd mod and Vdimm mod are you using?

Do you mean ThermalRight SK-6?

Last edited:
I did mean WCPUID, as my proggy doesn't show multiplier or FSB, if you just want to know the CPU speed, then use GCPUID :D

hitechjb1 said:

Put a passive heat sink on the SB with good air flow over it would improve stability at high FSB. It may even solve your stability problem. Adding cooling to SB (for sound and HD) is even more important since it usually comes with no cooling, and NB at least has some default cooling.

Pic for passive heat sink for SB cooling (on page 1)

I did that and it helps stability, though my FSB is not as high as yours, only around 210+ MHz at default chipset Vdd of 1.53V (measured).

Please try it and let us know, because that may be important for attaining stability at such high FSB (250 MHz as yours).

Which method of chipset set Vdd mod and Vdimm mod are you using?

Do you mean ThermalRight SK-6?

Yes it was the thermalright sk-6...it was late ;)

Here is a pic of my current cooling setup. I am putting the old NB cooer on the SB later
NB5.jpg

mrspec3:

Is this a new setup using NF7-S rev 2? I thought you had a NF7-S rev1.2 w/ A2 NB for the 250 MHz FSB, with 2.1V chipset Vdd and 3.25V Vdimm.

Would the SK-6 over the NB too big and interfere with the air flow for CPU cooling.

there is a 1.4 bios out for the nf7 2.0 that will let you go to a 300 fsb just thought i would let you know it is beta though

hitechjb1 said:
mrspec3:

Is this a new setup using NF7-S rev 2? I thought you had a NF7-S rev1.2 w/ A2 NB for the 250 MHz FSB, with 2.1V chipset Vdd and 3.25V Vdimm.

Would the SK-6 over the NB too big and interfere with the air flow for CPU cooling.

Nope is the same rev 1.2 board with the A2 NB. It didn't make that large a difference in the CPU temp since the Alpha pal 8045 draws air up through the cpu...so it may have even helped. It's not an issue anymore because I have gone to water cooling.

I plan on pelting/watercooling the NB in the next few weeks

steve

mrspec3 said:

Yes it was the thermalright sk-6...it was late ;)

Here is a pic of my current cooling setup. I am putting the old NB cooer on the SB later
NB5.jpg
Wow is that SK-6 held on with just a zip tie?

I have a spare SK-6 around and if I can mod my 8RDA+ I'm in business :D

v8vega350 said:
there is a 1.4 bios out for the nf7 2.0 that will let you go to a 300 fsb just thought i would let you know it is beta though

If one could get to 300 MHz FSB on the NF7 2.0 assuming w/ memory support,
the max memory bandwidth would be 300 x 2 x 8 = 4800 MB/s
the effective memory bandwidth should be about 0.95 x 4800 = 4560 MS/s

This would almost tie a quad pump P4 at non-oc 200 MHz (QDR 800) dual channel, since
the effective memory bandwidth would be around = 0.75 x 200 x 4 x 8 = 4800 MB/s (at 75% dual channel efficiency)

Last edited:
wow, that is awesome for both of you guys!

i cant wait to see the benchies, especially 3dmark 2k1/3 as that 250fsb should score high with a p9700 pro.

Back