• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

550 ti SLI PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GamerMagnet

I'm pretty sure I am cutting it close but I want to ask the experts. I'm currently waiting for my new shipment to get here and while it's being shipped I've crunched the numbers with PSU Calc, Extremem PSU calculator, etc. I'm trying to figure out if my PSU will be enough. From the wattage the PSU calculators have given me it seems good enough.

My PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

It's not SLI certified but I've read places where they don't always have to be? Could be wrong!!

I got a deal from a friend, $100 for the PSU and an EVGA GTX 550 ti both new and not opened. So I went ahead and grabbed another 550 ti and a few other things from newegg to run in SLI. I don't want to blow anything up or catch my house on fire.

CPU: FX-8120
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
GPU: EVGA GTX 550ti x2 (both are "FPB") 951 core/2178 memory
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3 1600
HDD: 750GB Barracuda Sata
1 DVD/CD-RW Combo
4 120mm fans (1 is LED)
2 80mm fans
1 of those Central System coolers that goes in a expansion slot

With the PSU calculators it shows that I need atleast 470 watts. I can take some fans out if needed. The 12v Rail on the Corsair CX600 is 40amps. Heck, even the 3.3v and 5v has 25amps. I'm not very familiar with what rails are just know 1 gtx 550 ti needs 24amps. Think I read somewhere that the SLI needs 38amps.

With all that said. Should I hold off on hooking up the 2nd gpu til I can get a 750w+ PSU? Or just give it a whirl and see what she does? Thanks for all the help.

That should work fine man:) im running a 570 sc and used to run a single 550ti. I got a new mobo from microcenter on Saturday and my bud came over and we sli'd two 550ti's 2gb at 1020mhz stable on the core while running bf3 for an hour an nothing happened. I have a gs600 600w psu and it worked fine. I also have my memory and processor oc'ed. Those 2 550's matched up to my stock 570:) Very good cards to sli:)

And nothing will catch on fire. The worst is that your CPU will shut off but work fine again when you boot up. But you don't need I worry about it. Those will work fine as I said with two 550tis

I am running 2 GTX 550TI on SLI and used A-Power 750 Watt gaming power supply. I then started noticing that my computer would shut off or the screen would go black when I tried overclock my GPU. I realized the PSU was not enought (only $40). I upgraded to a Corsair TX850 (850 Watt SLI Ready) and have had no issues.

I am running 2 GTX 550TI on SLI and used A-Power 750 Watt gaming power supply. I then started noticing that my computer would shut off or the screen would go black when I tried overclock my GPU. I realized the PSU was not enought (only $40). I upgraded to a Corsair TX850 (850 Watt SLI Ready) and have had no issues.

That is because Corsair makes quality PSU (not because you needed an 850w). I have never heard of A-Power, but for $40 I am sure it wasn't a very quality unit.

550Ti TDP is 116w, even OC'd the pair of 'em might hit 300w at worst.
That CX600 is more than enough.

That is because Corsair makes quality PSU (not because you needed an 850w). I have never heard of A-Power, but for $40 I am sure it wasn't a very quality unit.

I know it was more than what I needed but I wanted something that will allow me to upgrade later on.

thanks for the info. My newegg order is being delivered today and I'll be putting all the pieces together. I kinda figured the 600 watts was enough since its a decent quality psu.

So with that answered, will there be any overclocking headroom for the PSU with the FX-8120. 300 watts from the 2 550's and another 125 TDP from cpu. I'm only gonna use 1 hard drive and 1 dvd/cd RW combo. Couple of fans, but that doesn't draw to much.

This is just a temp solution for now. Even though I got the PSU and 1 gtx 550 ti for $100 from a friend I feel dumb for buying it. I wanted to build a system that was at least 2-3 years reliable. But I did, if only I would of waited 3 days. Then I could of just bought the gtx 660 ti and called it a day. Guess I'll have to save up over the next few paychecks, and grab one. Then toss these in my kids computer.

The wattage was plenty, you bought a POS PSU was the problem.

550Ti TDP is 116w, even OC'd the pair of 'em might hit 300w at worst.
That CX600 is more than enough.
+1

I know it was more than what I needed but I wanted something that will allow me to upgrade later on.
750W would have allowed you to do that. People frequently WAY overestimate what they need.

Back