• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64 degrees at idle!!! HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have an AMD Athlong XP 2600+ processor and my temps right now are 77C on idle with a 29C case temp.

AMD's run hot man thats just the way it is.

I'm about to buy a heatsink and put my AS5 on it as well so it should drop the temps by a good amount but its hot in my house anyhow so i'm not expecting great temps like 35C on the diode or anything.

I'd be happy w/ a 40C diode idle temp.

i had and still have exactely the same prob tbh i thin ks it the mobo i have a gigabyte GA700N pro2 or summit in my bios it said cpu 64 and system 32 (the same as yours) so i redone Artic silver 5 and now i get 50 cpu and system 32 its either mobo readings or too much artic silver 5 im gonna reapply again coz i think ive used too much but i cba tbh put the tiniest bit u can ever emagine over the core and see what happens then good luck

mcastleberg said:
Ok, I'm gonna buy some AS5 and a thermaltake Volcano hsf, I've seen that there are several models, which one is the best?
The only Volcano worth buying is the 12. I get great results with my V12. The others arent meant to be that great.
Another i'd recommend for a cheap price and great performance ratio is the Thermalright ALX800. Some place was selling that for about $9 the other day. Bargain.
Then theres the older Thermalrights like the SK7 and SLK800 which sell relatively cheaply now. All those give roughly around the same performance, give or take a degree or 2.
All are good choices imo and perfect for the more budget conscious of us :)

I vote you flash the bios and update it.

I have the same problems with my mums gigabyte board i think the sensors are crap, im not to sure.

Good luck

HA... i ran the same thing. Barton 2500+ w/ a Gigabyte mobo and my idle temps reached 68,69 degrees celsius... full load started reaching 71 degrees+ on some generic copper heatsink + cooler master fan. Then a switched up to Volcano 12 things started coolin down... 52 degrees idle... 55+ on full load. ahh... time to get the mobile barton 2500+ :rolleyes:

It could be manythings and dont forget the temps on the bio readings are always about 5º higher. Try running diff temp programs.

My temps went up on my NF7-S after I moved the temp probe up a little to touch the die. I figure its more accurate. Alot of them dont actually touch it, maybe yours does.

where can I find the thermalright alx800 for that price??? i've only seen one of pricewatch for $19 and its only the heatsink, no fan.

Ygpm, be quick :)

As mentioned by the others it could also be a problem with the board. What Chipset does it use? You say he's having stability problems so i'm doubting its just a false reading...
When you say your m8 tried a different motherboard what was his old motherboard? The same?

This is quite baffling, the more i read through your first post.

The ALX800 doesnt come with a fan. You can use any 80mm fan with it though. I recommend the Thermaltake Smartfan II. Comes with a controller so you can control the speed to match your needs. It can be had for about $8.

THANKS! I got the last one and the fan you recommended. As for my friend's computer, the other motherboard we tried was basically the same thing. A Gigabyte 7N400 except the spare isn't a Pro2. After cleaning the cpu and heat sinks with carb cleaner several times and using my own thermal paste from Radio Shack, I've finally got the machine to quit locking up (I think). I played UT2004 for 20 minutes or more on Onslaught mode which is very CPU intensive. It goes up from 57 degrees to 64 pretty fast but it never went above it. Weird thing is, Half-Life gets it just as hot and that game shouldnt' be stressing the CPU at all.

Terrorsmurf said:
I have an AMD Athlong XP 2600+ processor and my temps right now are 77C on idle with a 29C case temp.

AMD's run hot man thats just the way it is.

I'm about to buy a heatsink and put my AS5 on it as well so it should drop the temps by a good amount but its hot in my house anyhow so i'm not expecting great temps like 35C on the diode or anything.

I'd be happy w/ a 40C diode idle temp.

One time Windows complained about not being able to find some system file. I thought some file got corrupted so I tried to do a system repair but my system kept locking up. When I tried to boot to Windows my system hung. I checked my BIOS CPU temperature and it showed 78C! I have an aluminum case with six fans so I should have had enough air flow. Changing to round IDE cables helped a little. I decided it was time for a new CPU cooler. The new Zalman cooler brought my CPU diode temperature down to 40C.:)

Budget Heatsink for AMD

I had problems with my temps, not near as bad as you, and got a Thermalright SLK 700, with AS-5, shipped for $30. I love it! It comes with a fan also. It is a copper heatsink, and I went from 46 C at 2.0 ghz to 2.38 ghz at 44 C at a full load (folding)! Check out pricewatch.com, or hardcorecoolling.com.

E

Let us know how you get on when you fit the new heatsink and fan.

Yeah the SLK-700 is a good sink too and thats a great price. You will get better performance out of the ALX-800 and Smartfan II though. Some quality thermal compound like Arctic Silver 5 would also help. It can be picked up for around $5 shipped.

Back