• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64MB vs. 128MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djb23

How much of a difference does it make to go from 64MB to 128MB in a video card? I noticed that the 64MB GF4 Ti4200 is only about $125.

On Tom's Hardware the published benchmarks for teh GF3 Ti200 64MB and 128MB cards are only different by about 5%.

If there is a similar difference for the Ti4200 then it would be a kick butt card for $125 (on newegg).

yeah 125 is a good deal, the extra 64 ddr is gonna be handy for some of the new game engines like UT2003 and Doom 3, a 64 ddr card will play the games well but a 128 ddr card will do better with large texture amounts.

generally the 64 ddr card will have quicker ram, but the 128 cards catch up once they have been overclocked and then the extra 64 is noticeable, depedning on the extra cost I would say go 128 , it will allow you to have the card longer

I picked up a retail ATI 128 DDR 8500LE which comes with BGA memory and it is a sweet card for me.

cisco kid

also i think that when you turn the resolutions up higher the 128 mb cards pull away from the 64 mb cards... i think, someone correct me if i'm wrong on this please.

btw - i just orderd an abit siluro g4 ti 4200 128 mb card from googlegear.com, for 168.99 + .50 cents for 2 day fed ex air. whereas at new egg the same card was cheaper, but with neweggs shipping, it would have cost me 185 + dollars.
just a though to maybe help you save some money before you buy, because shipping costs can make a big difference.
:cool:

I am wondering on average what kind of Performance increase you can see with the extra 64MB of memory?

Oh, and I made a mistake on the price. Its actually $135.

if both cards have the same fast ram, i'd say the 128 is a good choice, but if the choice is 64mb fast ram, or 128 almost fast ram, i'd go for the faster ram. if both have the same ram, go for broke and get the 128. besides, as for bragging rights, the 128 gets more respect.....even if it's slow...lol don't buy to impress, that was only a joke...

if you are a gamer, get more fast memory, as you will need it sooner or later

I agree with madsam. Usually the 64Meg one will win in a o/c contest, b/c of the faster ram. You don't need 128 right now, but if you are planning a LONG term upgrade I would get the 128 just to play it safe; who knows what DOOM3 is going to need.

madsam said:
if both cards have the same fast ram, i'd say the 128 is a good choice, but if the choice is 64mb fast ram, or 128 almost fast ram, i'd go for the faster ram. if both have the same ram, go for broke and get the 128. besides, as for bragging rights, the 128 gets more respect.....even if it's slow...lol don't buy to impress, that was only a joke...

if you are a gamer, get more fast memory, as you will need it sooner or later

if you are a gamer then get the 128 card , the diff in ram is not much as far as speed goes and the 128 cards do pull ahead as resolution gets higher and with the heavier texture games that will be coming out. 128 card will just plain last you longer

cisco kid

there was a bechmark thing around somewhere that showed the difference between 128 and 64....I think toms hardware had it for the 9700 vs ti46/44/4200 and the older radeons....it did showed that in BIG games like jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast the FPS gain for 128MB was more that 70FPS!...from like 60FPS or so with 65MB to about 130FPS with 128MB....Then when things like Doom 3 and unreal 2003 come out you will REALLY want a 128MB vid card....but really for games nowadays 64MB is probably even faster than 128MB becuase most 64MB cards have faster RAM than the 128MB cards....the Gainward ti4600 Golden Sample is the exception...they have the FASTEST RAM for the gf4

Spec

Back