• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

650 TI problem HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

way2hota

Registered
I just picked up a 650 TI OC video card, plugged it in, plugged in the vga port from the video card and tried to boot up. The system boots up but the screen stays black. Nothing ever appears on the screen but I hear the system sound when windows 7 boots up.
Note: The palit GEFORCE GTX 650 TI "OC edition" didn't appear to need any power cables connected to it, so it is just stuck in the slot and screwed in. I'll double check if it requires any external power other than what is coming off the rail but i doubt it.

Things I've tried:
1. Setting bios to "PCI Express"
2. Trying DVI on the video card instead of vga
3. Disabling onboard adapter through device manager (Screen changes to a horrid resolution) Then I restarted using the VGA on the video card (same thing with b lack screen)
4. Poped in the driver CD and tried to install driver and it said something like "No driver compatible" (Now i start to think that the card isnt detected)
5. Went to device manager and see no device for the newly installed 650 ti card

So right now the fan is running on the 650 ti card but using vga or dvi i'm not getting signal. Tried the things above and it still isnt working, I don't even know if it is being detected at this point. Any suggestions? :bang head

-EDIT- Just seen that it does require a 6pin power connector. Found it hiding under the plastic cover plate :(
Now the only problem is my PSU only comes with 1 6pin connector which is plugged into my mobo. What is the next best solution other than buying a new PSU with two 6pin connectors? Thank you.

Last edited:
You can buy a molex adapter to 6 pin pci-e connector but it kinda concerns me that psu doesn't already have one and makes me question it's wattage. Can you please list your system specs like; cpu, mobo, psu, operating system, evt..

I am confused why you have a 6 pin plugged into the motherboard... that makes no sense as the only things that need plugged into your motherboard is the 4/8 pin and 24 pin. The only time a 6 pin PCIe can possibly be plugged into your motherboard is to assist with power for MULTIPLE GPUs, not for just one. I would have to assume that removing that 6 pin on the board and plugging it into your card will resolve the issue.

First though, what motherboard do you have? Also, what Power Supply? Please create a signature with your hardware specs so people can see them and help easier. :)

PSU: coreelite 600w (its a cheapo one. your right its a 4pin into the mobo)
mobo: asrock n68-vgs3 fx
GPU: palit geforce gtx 650 ti oc 1gb
cpu: amd fx 8350 (not OC stock cooler)
ram: 8gb gskill 2200

Yea the Power supply and mobo are cheapo planning to upgrade but for now its what I got. The PSU has so few molex that it looks like I only have 1 more available which is supposed to be for a cdrom but it doesnt currently have a cdrom on the case (using an external) looks like those molex to 6pin adapters need two molex's available and I only have 1 available and 1 floppy molex.

Wow... yikes. I would upgrade that PSU ASAP. Sounds like a piece of garbage if a 600W PSU doesn't have a PCIe power connector...You can get a molex to PCIe conversion cable as suggested above, but personally, I would save that $8 and invest in another PSU ASAP.

Some thing like Corsair CX600 would be PLENTY for that setup.

Holy moly!

That motherboard foes not officially support an 8350 125watt chip... I would suggest a new power supply first then I would highly recommend getting a better motherboard because it's only a matter of time before it goes. The board only supports 95watt BE variants of the bulldozer line which is pushing it really hard so I wou ld be careful not to push that cpu at all... leave it stock and don't run prime95...

Nice catch PB. I didnt bother looking up the board. I am surprised it even works to be honest...

Thanks for the tips guys. Yea it's pretty stupid because on the box it says "8core cpu ready" which i thought was going to be a steal and now i'll end up with a crap board once i upgrade :( Yea so am i getting any bottleneck issues with the board + cpu at this point? Yes I did just order a corsair 450 watt PSU as it was on sale from some local supplier for like $50 Next i guess I'm shooting for a modest mobo. Recommendations are welcome something under the $150 range preferably

The board is not bottlenecking anything. With a 450W PSU, I surely wouldn't overclock that FX-8350 too much...

Ah OK. I thought the CPU might not be getting enough power if the board only pumps out 90w or so and the cpu requires more. Thanks for the info buddy!

That PSU is fine for that CPU on stock settings. If you overclock, that PSU may not be enough which is why I said earlier, 600W is plenty.

As ED said the 450w psu will be fine at stock clocks, unfortunately the Fx processors are power hungry chips. Having a read of the thread I linked for recommended motherboards, will give you a better understanding of what the Fx chip needs to run properly. I suggest reading that and understanding it before you purchase another motherboard. It may save you some cash and headaches down the road.

Yes so the corsair 450w was dropped off today, got it installed and it came with a bunch of 6pin connectors so that's good. Hooked up the 650 ti and it booted right up, downloaded the latest drivers and installed them and it seems the system is at 100% now. Big thanks to EarthDog Mandrake and peanutbudder! Thanks guys

Back