• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

780 up in smoke need some help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks guys! Card should already be at home. Can't wait to get off work!!

Honestly i was hoping they would give me a 970 or 980 as a replacement but I like kelper. Its so powerful for what i need it to do :)

New 780 came in!!
From start to finish this RMA took 5 business days! :thup:

Unfortunately, this 780SC did not come with the backplate. I don't care though, means I can throw a fan on the back now!
This one has the SC sticker on it too. The review sample I had didn't. This must be a newer revision.
20160404_170538.jpg 20160404_170521.jpg

On to overclocking!

lol

The one I sent in was a super clocked as well.
This one has finer voltage control.
Before I was limited to +36mV in 3 steps.
Not I have +62mV in 5 steps.

Regardless, I was not able to get 1175Mhz core. Note sure why. bumping voltage didn't seem to help.
Currently at 1150Mhz core 1566Mhz mem +12mV. 68C during heaven. Measured the back of the card since there's no backplate... backside of chokes are hitting 72C! Need to find a powerful fan to blow on the card me thinks.

Fans are quieter than the review sample too so that's a plus!
Overall, very happy with EVGA. Great company! :thup:

It even cooks for you!
LOL ATMINSIDE, overclocking on video cards you really don't gain that much anyway, also it's diminishing returns the more you clock so it's mostly just for fun like benchmarking.

Yes Silver you want to keep that card cool you don't have to long on your warranty left. However 72c is not that bad at all for chokes, how are the MOSFET in the VRM section doing for temps?

LOL ATMINSIDE, overclocking on video cards you really don't gain that much anyway, also it's diminishing returns the more you clock so it's mostly just for fun like benchmarking.

Yes Silver you want to keep that card cool you don't have to long on your warranty left. However 72c is not that bad at all for chokes, how are the MOSFET in the VRM section doing for temps?
Not sure, they are covered by the front "backplate" I have the front half installed on the card, but the other half, the actual backplate was missing. :p

They are probably nice an cool since the front backplate has thermal pads to transfer heat to the cooler. :)

Also, even though I can set +62mV, the drivers will not let me and voltage is still locked at 1.2v.
Setting +37mV makes the GPU boost to 1162Mhz meaning if Nvidia Boost set it to 1162, that means it's stable since boost only sets clocks it will be stable on :thup:

The Overboost voltage setting that got me 1241Mhz on the old 780 does not appear to work on this card. VOp kicks in..
This new GPU is in fact a newer revision. Perhaps the old one was a special review sample from EVGA... One that could actually do 1241Mhz stable? A bit bummed that I won't be able to get the same clocks but I'd much rather have a working GPU :)

Sounds like they were having problems with failed cards so they detuned the card. How much were you gaining with work on overclocking compared to stock?

Sounds like they were having problems with failed cards so they detuned the card. How much were you gaining with work on overclocking compared to stock?
I don't have an exact answer on that.

I did see a 2min per fold decrease for folding. (The lower the time per fold the better so loosing 2min per fold is good)
PPD was at least 220K I'd say.

Right now, looking at 187K PPD.
So there is preformance to gain still. Whether I can get that preformance remains to be seen! I'm hoping for 1200Mhz personally.

Had to RMA 2 780s I ran in SLI last year. Forgot what happened but they took them both in replaced one with another 780 but the other they replaced with a 970. :screwy: But I had no complaints as the RMA was seamless and I had planned on just selling both in time for getting 2 980ti.

Had to RMA 2 780s I ran in SLI last year. Forgot what happened but they took them both in replaced one with another 780 but the other they replaced with a 970. :screwy: But I had no complaints as the RMA was seamless and I had planned on just selling both in time for getting 2 980ti.
Ooooh lucky! :D

I think it's safe o say EVGA has the best CS!

Great news Silver. I always wondered how much a back plate actually helps in cooling, if at all. I don't recall ever coming across any actual studies. Either way, great you're back up and running with the wolves.

Oh, LOL'd at Supper clock too. :D

Back