• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GS 1st Time OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm with OC1 on this, ZALMAN!!! I can't get enough of posting pics of mine :drool:

img21192qm6.jpg

Oc1Kenube said:
What are your settings? run the video stress test and i will run exact same test and see what i get to give you some sort of comparison,i can also take screenshot of in game fps if desired on any map,just let me know.

Here are my stock 3dm 05 scores, including cpu score too.

stockcpu.jpg

Thats your STOCK score? no oc on the card, wow why is it so much higher then my 7743. I haven't benched since I changed some power connectors. Will do soon.
The settings I use in cs:s are High, High, High, simple relfections, low shadows, color correction on, no aa or af and vsync is off. HDR is also off. I dont think you'll be able to do the res I have unless you have a widescreen, its a acer al1916w 19", so the res is 1440x900...odd res :) So with those settings above it did 159fps in stress test.

Are there better drivers then the nvidia ones? I came from ATI so nvidia stuff is new to me. The card definitely has potential.

Last edited:
thlnk3r said:
Thats your STOCK score? no oc on the card, wow why is it so much higher then my 7743. I haven't benched since I changed some power connectors. Will do soon.
The settings I use in cs:s are High, High, High, simple relfections, low shadows, color correction on, no aa or af and vsync is off. HDR is also off. I dont think you'll be able to do the res I have unless you have a widescreen, its a acer al1916w 19", so the res is 1440x900...odd res :) So with those settings above it did 159fps in stress test.

OC1's 7900 is pre OC'd @ ~550/800 I think, check his earlier posts. I am not sure but probably his CPU factors into that test score too. Those C2D's are pretty smokin'.

Are there better drives then the nvidia ones? I came from ATI so nvidia stuff is new to me. The card definitely has potential.

Better drives? If you mean drivers I am sure the latest stable release from nVidia is fine. I use my manufacturer's (ASUS) latest drivers. Not sure which is better? I think there are beta & modded drivers out there too.

Ah yes sorry meant "drivers" :), yep those C2D's are smokin fast. I'm thinking about making a custom cooler for the card using a older P4 HS. I did it on my x800pro....helped out alot on temps.

thlnk3r said:
Ah yes sorry meant "drivers" :), yep those C2D's are smokin fast. I'm thinking about making a custom cooler for the card using a older P4 HS. I did it on my x800pro....helped out alot on temps.

Nice! I have seen others doing this as well. I am too new at this to go ghetto yet. All in due time. Remember to post some pics of your mod here ;)

Hi guys. I hope you don't mind me jumping in here for a moment. I have an EVGA 7900GS that likes to randomly leap the fan to warp zone 6. It especially enjoys firing up if I view a WMP movie, or even sometimes when I launch Trillian. I've tried Ntune, nVidia control panel and nothing is able to keep the GPU fan settings. So I'm assuming (like many others), it's a nVidia driver issue.

My question for you, if I was to purchase a VF900-CU to replace my stock fan unit, would this solve the very audible noise issue with my fan?

Thanks.

Xymox said:
Hi guys. I hope you don't mind me jumping in here for a moment. I have an EVGA 7900GS that likes to randomly leap the fan to warp zone 6. It especially enjoys firing up if I view a WMP movie, or even sometimes when I launch Trillian. I've tried Ntune, nVidia control panel and nothing is able to keep the GPU fan settings. So I'm assuming (like many others), it's a nVidia driver issue.

My question for you, if I was to purchase a VF900-CU to replace my stock fan unit, would this solve the very audible noise issue with my fan?

Thanks.

:welcome:

I have limited experience and don't know if it's a driver issue but I am gonna give this a shot... Others will probably pipe in later too ;)

1. You might want to look at what kind of temps you are hitting when you hear the fan go into overdrive. It's probably good that you were unable to set any fan speeds if the card is getting really hot.

2. Haven't used nTune but RivaTuner has decent fan controls.
Tutorial: http://www.vaguesoft.com/users/dwood/blog/tutorials/rivatuner

3. To answer your question... YES! I would whole heartedly concur that a Zalman will be quieter than your stock cooler. I did not use the Zalman Fanmate controller so it is running around 2600rpm all the time and very quiet.

PS. I can't get Rivatuner to control the Zalman fan because it is not plugged into the video cards fan plug, it's in the motherboard 3 pin plug. But a fan controller or SpeedFan could probably control it.

I can concur on this issue too. For me when ever I fire up speedfan or even atitool, the fan goes full blast. After exiting the apps and waiting for about 5mins the fan goes back to idle. Starting up cs:s will even make the fan go to warp 9. I think it's some auto throttling in the actual video card bios but it could be driver related too. I plan on swappen the stock cooler out with a p4 cooler...we'll see how that goes :)

Thund3rball said:
:welcome:
3. To answer your question... YES! I would whole heartedly concur that a Zalman will be quieter than your stock cooler. I did not use the Zalman Fanmate controller so it is running around 2600rpm all the time and very quiet.

PS. I can't get Rivatuner to control the Zalman fan because it is not plugged into the video cards fan plug, it's in the motherboard 3 pin plug. But a fan controller or SpeedFan could probably control it.

Took your advice and got the 7900GS with the SpeedFan controller. I'm pleasantly pleased with the hushed noise, and quality of Zalman (and the rest of the unit).

Time to fire-up some FPS. :)

I'd also like to point out I am no longer having the slight clipping I was noticing with the stock fan (I have an eVGA 7900GS). I'm not sure how this is possible, but I'm certainly not complaining. I'm also running the Zalman Fanmate Controller (on low setting). Neat stuff.

Last edited:
I recently made some minor changes in my bios on my asus board to the peg link length ect, and my frames appear to be better in cs:s, I was dippen to the 50s in most maps, now I only get as low as 70-80...maybe its just me or it really did help out? ;P I'm very happy with my 7900gs :)

thlnk3r said:
I recently made some minor changes in my bios on my asus board to the peg link length ect, and my frames appear to be better in cs:s, I was dippen to the 50s in most maps, now I only get as low as 70-80...maybe its just me or it really did help out? ;P I'm very happy with my 7900gs :)

Whoa, I don't even know what the h** that is :p
Would not have thought of this solution. Way to go! Maybe you can teach me? he heh *googling peg link length*

But ya.. I love my 7900GS too :beer:

Edit: Turns out my mobo has peg link too :thup: But since I haven't OC'd anything other than my GFX card with ATiTool I haven't come across it before. I am such a n00I3. Actually I did try Rivatuner... but I found ATiTool simpler.

Last edited:
Apparently asus ( I might be wrong ) was the first to incorporate the peg link options in the bios.

Here's what I have mine set to:

PEG Link Mode - Fastest
PEG Root Control - Auto
PEG Buffer Length - Short

I don't know if these settings ACTUALLY helped but I noticed a difference on my setup, I also have my opty 146 oc'ed to 2.6 on stock voltage so that might of helped too :) I'm still in the process of changing the cooling on the card too, will post pics when I'm done.

thlnk3r said:
Apparently asus ( I might be wrong ) was the first to incorporate the peg link options in the bios.

Here's what I have mine set to:

PEG Link Mode - Fastest
PEG Root Control - Auto
PEG Buffer Length - Short

I don't know if these settings ACTUALLY helped but I noticed a difference on my setup, I also have my opty 146 oc'ed to 2.6 on stock voltage so that might of helped too :) I'm still in the process of changing the cooling on the card too, will post pics when I'm done.

Yes I read up on Asus Peg Link a bit... was a BIG deal when they came out with it. Very hush hush till it was released. I'm gonna leave mine alone for now but maybe look into it more if I have time. Thanks :beer:

Looking forward to those pics!

I'll have to look at that, but I don't think the P5B has it.

Intelligent Overclocking Tools
· AI NOS
· AI Overclocking
· ASUS PEG Link
· ASUS AI Booster utility

So this isn't in BIOS?
What exactly does it do?
Have you tried running a 3DMark Bench?

Well thunderball I finally got around to changing the cooler on my evga 7900gs.

Full load temps were done with ATITool with 3D view on. Stock clocks 500/690.

Ambient temperature is 78-80F (summer time) a/c is off hehe.

Before:
Idle: 48C
Load: 62C

After:
Idle: 43C
Load: 54C

The fan is a 70mm running at around 2000-2200rpm. It's a old P4 coolermaster copper hs with a heatpipe.

7900gs2.jpg

7900gs3.jpg

7900gs1.jpg

Back