• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG 7Cubed, a mitx WC scratch build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if you need to bend strange angles in solid line without using a mandrel bender, you can freeze very soapy water inside the pipe and it will bend without kinking.

I was talking more about 3/8 to 1/2'' copper hard line, that could be threaded for your fittings. Like I said though, I have no experience, and this could be a horrible idea. :shrug:

I was talking more about 3/8 to 1/2'' copper hard line, that could be threaded for your fittings. Like I said though, I have no experience, and this could be a horrible idea. :shrug:

Don't worry, I'm really not that experienced either.

I'd like to not have to bend a tube perfectly, and put threads on it, but it might have to happen.

Hmmmm... After looking back at your plans, maybe plan "A" might work out better after all?

You're right "A" looks like it will work better (and it does) but the space between the side hole and the wall, is just do small but put any fittings.

I'm been playing around with it some more and I think that with at snake, some 90's and 45's I can get it to work, but who knows.

Well... technically, the angles are exact. I mean, you don't find 90* fittings that are actually 85*. So just grab a protractor, measure some parts, and find out what you need, angle wise. ;)

if you wanted to make a custom bend in something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...talogId=10053&productId=202369918&R=202369918

you cut it to about 1 inch over the length you'll need. cap off one end, fill with a mixture of 15 parts water to one part soap. cap other end. place in freezer. wait till its solid. You can now bend very sharp radii without having the pipe collapse. The ice/soap mixture, doesn't compress easily, but is not solid due to the high soap content. Once you get the shape you want, you let the ice thaw. It's how they make the bends in the thin walled tubing they use to make musical instruments.

I'm not sure if the hard line would work with compression fittings, though. It would be possible to braze the hardline to a fitting and then attach the fitting to the block, but that's quite a bit of work that has to be done right or it'll leak.

^Thanks, if it comes to that that'll be useful. Hopefully it doesn't though.

I did some measuring and eyeballing and I think I can get it in with a 90, plus an extender, and then a 45, and then the fitting. They won't be at the same level but it should be enough so the hose doesn't kink. So I ordered those (I had to order 90's anyway because Performance pcs was out of them (the black ones) when I did my first order)

I also Ordered a GT 430 for the GPU, before you go of on how I should have got a 5570, let me tell you that it's too long.

Thanks For all the help guys.

Nice custom case.

Not sure if it's been asked already or not; only skimmed -- Are you doing your own welding on it? Don't think I've seen that very often / at all on a computer related forum, even in the alt modding section.

Nice custom case.

Not sure if it's been asked already or not; only skimmed -- Are you doing your own welding on it? Don't think I've seen that very often / at all on a computer related forum, even in the alt modding section.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I am doing most of the metal work. I get help here and there from the guy I work for because he's much more experienced than me. But I don't pay for someone at some shop to do it.

If you want to see a bunch more mods check out the project logs under the forum section at bit-tech.net

I just stumbled across this build. Very nice metal working!

I should have put my build in this sub-forum as well ;(

You're using a lot of the same cooling components I am!

Can't wait to see this little beast all finished up!

:)

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I got very busy with school. I have done work on it and will post pictures, but I have also stumbled across a roadblock. My shortened pci-e cable doesn't work, so now I either have to buy a short one or try again and hope it works.

Once Again I should've put a post in earlier, time seems to fly.

THOUGH ASKS AND THOUGH SHALT RECIEVITH

not much, I still need to figure out the pci-e and I need a part for the psu sleeving.

Wiring
DSC_1253.jpg

SEE TUBING FITS :)
DSC_1247.jpg

TESTING PUMP (it's a beast)
DSC_1255.jpg

Sleaving, not great but first time, and won't be seen much. (outside coil will)
DSC_1262.jpg

:clap: Glad you got the pump worked out. This is really coming together.

Thanks, I only hope my Psu still works once I get done with it.

ALSO i thought you guys should know, I got a zotac gt 430 and it kicks ***. quiet and super powerful (with a few turn down of settings gets pretty close to my gtx9800+)

You haven't given up on this, have you? Was looking good, an update would be nice! :D

Hi, sorry I haven't done much lately but the problem is the flexing pci-e cable I just can't get it too work. I've bought three and one just didn't work and the others didn't work after I shortened them. Any ideas. However I finished leaving the psu and it works. IMAG0030.jpg

Hey, I be given up on the pci-e cable for now. Instead I've moved on to the 24 pin. However the connectors are almost to big to fit so im going bare you'll see what I mean in the photo. It's really hard to get the measurements right on each one. Any tips would be helpful. Also any body got any secrets to crimping? IMAG0045.jpg

Back