• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8400GS 128MB low profile, $13.50 shipped

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
which I initially assumed to be TurboCache, but it's not taking any of the main system RAM. I suspect it may actually be a 512MB card... maybe I'll pull it back out later and look up the numbers on the RAM chips to find out for sure.

TurboCache and HyperMemory do not use system RAM until they need it, and they release it when they do not.

You can use rivatuner to disable turbocache, I used a simple registry edit to disable hypermemory on my cheap ATI card.

http://howtotroubleshoot.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-to-disable-turbocache.html

and it is not better in EVERY way, from the wiki article you linked :

the G98 features VC-1 and MPEG2 video decoding completely in hardware, lower power consumption, lowered 3D-performance and a smaller fabrication process

Still dont think anyone is buying this card for gaming, so yes g98 is the better deal

TurboCache and HyperMemory do not use system RAM until they need it, and they release it when they do not.

Ah, OK. I did some research about it, but could find no details on how it actually worked. So this must be a TurboCache card then. GPU-z confirms that it has 128MB local memory. I'll post the screenshot once I find my flash drive to transfer it over.

Would this do a better job playing HD video than a 6600GT?

Oh, absolutely. The 8400GS can do full hardware acceleration of h.264 and VC-1 (the most common HD formats), while the 6600GT has no offloading ability whatsoever. For gaming, the 6600 would still stomp upon the 8400, though.

Sweet, I got one. My HTPC is struggling with anything over 720p hopefully this will help.

Thanks Thrashbarg!

the problem with hardware acceleration is the fact that you must 1. have the content formatted to use hardware acceleration, 2. software setup right to provide hardware acceleration.

But those two things are pretty easy to come by!

I still wanna see a gpuz screen!

OK, as promised, here's the GPU-z shot.

Another thing of note, it was running about 60C when I first got it, but I pulled the heatsink, removed the chewing-gum-like thermal crap and put some normal paste in its place. Now it runs at 45C. So it's definitely worth your while replace the thermal compound on these things. I suggest using paint thinner, as neither alcohol nor acetone would budge the crap. (Just be careful not to slop thinner all over the card, and clean up with alcohol afterwards to remove the residue.)

Attachments

• 8400gs.gif
    8400gs.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 761
4 rops n 8 shaders..... gah i want a backup card but i dunno if thats gonna be any better than my old *** matrox IS storm r2 hahahahhaha.

Excuse my ignorance since I don't keep up with video cards (or hardware in general as much as I used to), but would this be a decent dedicated PhysX/CUDA card? My 8800GTX is only recently starting to show its age, but that's because of games I'm playing that are starting to include PhysX support.

I may purchase two just to put one in my WHS box so when (if?) x264 comes out with CUDA support, it'll get a boost.

But that's only if the card supports PhysX/CUDA.

It definitely supports both, but I'm not sure how effective it'd be. CUDA would probably work better than Physx, but I think either one would only be on the level of "slightly better than nothing".

Excuse my ignorance since I don't keep up with video cards (or hardware in general as much as I used to), but would this be a decent dedicated PhysX/CUDA card? My 8800GTX is only recently starting to show its age, but that's because of games I'm playing that are starting to include PhysX support.

I may purchase two just to put one in my WHS box so when (if?) x264 comes out with CUDA support, it'll get a boost.

What's in your WHS box? Because it would have to have a pretty weak CPU to be outperformed by this card.

I just picked up another one of these for another rig that is used to watch video. This card has solved all my HTPC issues w/ high bitrate mkv/h.264 files.

The link in the OP points to an expired listing, so here's another listing with inventory. The $13.50 offer still works.

Linky...

It looks to be on par with a 6600gt which kind of lets me down.

That statement is accurate with regards to gaming.

I just picked up another one of these for another rig that is used to watch video. This card has solved all my HTPC issues w/ high bitrate mkv/h.264 files.

Can this card play back uncompressed blu ray rips (20-40gb) with proper codecs? My current htpc is having some problems with such files due to being built on a very tight budget.

Also what cpu do you have in your htpc?

Can this card play back uncompressed blu ray rips (20-40gb) with proper codecs? My current htpc is having some problems with such files due to being built on a very tight budget.

Also what cpu do you have in your htpc?

so long as those files are encoded in a way to utilize hardware acceleration then you will be fine (DXVA?)

They are all ripped personally using eac3to with the video portion going ripped as .mkv and audio as .flac then put together using mkvtool.

They work perfectly fine on my desktop but have I had tons of problems with some of them on my htpc which I'm scrapping to upgrade my parents computer while home for the holidays. I plan on building the cheapest rig that can run these files properly in media portal when I go back home. Would this be a good buy for that purpose?

Sounds like you might be ripping and re-encoding the video into a non-DXVA compliant format. Most BluRays even now still use MPEG2 as the video compressor, which any software and hardware combination can playback fine (if its fast enough for the higher bitrates and resolution).

I suggest using AnyDVD for the ripping (or stick with whatever works for you) and use MeGUI with the x264 DXVA complaint profiles if your going to re-encode to another format. If not re-encoding, just rip the main movie and audio track and mux them into a compatible container.

Back