• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8500 Heatsink Removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skid

Anybody got some advice on removing the heat sink on a retail Ati Radeon 8500? I read Hoot's article, but I'm still nervous about heating the heatsink up...Is that the only way? If so what should be used to heat it? As anyone can see I'm new at this. :)

I've never tried it myself, but I've heard of people putting the card in an anti-static bag & placing it in the freezer. Once it is good & cold, they use a credit card to pop the heatsink off.

Yes, IMO it's a litttle safer to use the freezer method.I did it the other night and it worked fine.(tip: Use a credit card and a screwdriver and also loosen each corner a little at a time and then just give it a twist and it should just pop off.)

Hi guys, I attached a crystal blorb onto the retail 8500 ATI card. I simply placed a credit card underneath the PCb and used a flat sided screw driver to remove the stock HSF. It was as easy as that. No freezing or heating was needed. Just patience and care.....

Paul.K

Heres the Easy and safe way to remove the stock heatsink:

Take the card put it in an anti static baggie and place it in the freezer for 15 minutes as suggested.

Then take a credit card and place it up against the stock heatsink, then place a butterknife on top of the credit card and give it a small twist....The ATI heatsink will pop right off

Then use Arctic Alumina adhesive (especially if your affixing ramsinks) or Arctic Silver Adhesive to affix the crystal Orb or whatever heatsink your using.

Be sure to prep the gpu with Alcohol or Nailpolish remover that contains acetone to get the ATI adhesive off. (if you have steady hands use a razorblade and clean it up with the Alcohol or acetone)

Bubba said:
Yes, IMO it's a litttle safer to use the freezer method.I did it the other night and it worked fine.(tip: Use a credit card and a screwdriver and also loosen each corner a little at a time and then just give it a twist and it should just pop off.)

great bubba, so i guess it worked?

Thanks alot guys. ;)
Also,
Which should be used for heatsink to GPU: Arctic Silver or Arctic Alumina?

Back