• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8600gt doesn't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Too bad, that would help diagnose the problem.

I take PSU 500W Chieftec 12V1 (24A)+12V2 (21A) = 400W from friend to test. Same problem.

OK, I did some googling and doesn't seem you are alone with the board 8xxx series issue. A couple things you could try would be to update the BIOS and chipset drivers for the board. I'll have to check the card but it may be a conflict with PCIe gen 1 and 2

EDIT: I haven't been able to determine which PCIe your board is using. I'm going to assume PCIe 1.0. Early Nvidia PCIe 2.0 cards would quite often not work in PCIe 1.0 and 1.0a but wuld work in 1.1. Typically AMD cards wren't having the same problem.
Is this your main PC or just a project?

Last edited:
I tried to update BIOS and chipset driver from ASUS website, it isn't help.

This is my main PC. Why?

Last edited:
You may want to look at upgrading the MB to AM3. Your current chip would still work but you could update the Chip as well in the future to a Quad Phenom II etc..

I plan to buy a new PC and I want to make this old PC better for some games. Then I haven't conflict with my brother.

Well that board is really near the end of it's life IMO. But I think you may have to look for an AMD card if you want to continue using it. I'm not 100% but I do think what I mentioned about PCIe is likely the root issue. That board is the M2n-MX se correct?

Yes it's old and very low powered. Up to you but I would replace it before it dies and kills the CPU. What is the condition of the caps.

They look OK, Just that gaming and that set-up don't really connect in my head. What is he playing, chess?

When I say "some games", I thought "old games" as League of Legends, GTA IV, Battlefield 3...

For this MB only solution is to try an AMD card.

THANK YOU FOR REPLIES AND PATIENCE!!!

NP Mark but that is my gut feeling here it's a PCIe conflict with the NVidia card.

He did try a different one, maybe not a lot better. But same result

Back