• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a simple folding question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molybdym

I started folding 2 weeks ago for Team 32, and love it. I found out last week that my dad's sick again :confused: (four years since the last round). My question is, why does my folding client process the same projects? I let it run while I'm at work and sleeping, I've seen it coplete "p610_tetP30_build_ext" a complete of times, same with p185. Like I said, I'm new to this(and possibly too lazy to read the FAQ on Stanford's site ;) ), what can I do to work on different projects?

Now it's personal

Really nothing you do with FAH can't determine what project you work on. The assignment servers will send out what projects Stanford wants to have worked on at the time. You can influence the assignment sever by telling it you want either Genome or Folding units, but if there are no servers on the desired project, it'll send you whatever is available.

Stanford needs to make sure that they get results that will be helpful, if 5 million people do a WU and they each do it 5 times, it is possible that each time they will finish the WU and send back different data each time. Stanford can then have a broad range of data to study. But, lets say they gets lots of data back that is the same, they can then say, he we havea common theme going here, let's see what going on and that would help also.

Like Garwain said, no real choices between units, but it is vital for stanford to get lots of data on all WU's.

FOLD ON
NAS

Last edited:
Molybdym said:
I see now, thanks a lot guys.

np!!!

hey what part of NC are you from, i am from Elizabeth City myself, i know charles in in New Bern and there are many others from NC too! so where ya at? :)

FOLD ON
NAS

NAS is correct that different computers will give different results after doing the same workunit. However, it is also likely that when you get a second wu with the same name your computer is actually starting a different point. Even without the varying results, it takes many wu's worth of computer time to fold a protein from start to finish.

So basicaly they're lowering the statistical error as low as they can, by taking a crap-load( i think it's hyphenated?) of samples.

NASsoccer said:

np!!!

hey what part of NC are you from, i am from Elizabeth City myself, i know charles in in New Bern and there are many others from NC too! so where ya at? :)

FOLD ON
NAS

hey i"m not too far from you....up here in Chesapeake VA

Molybdym said:
So basicaly they're lowering the statistical error as low as they can, by taking a crap-load( i think it's hyphenated?) of samples.

Well, that...and it takes like a million work units to actually simulate a fold(each wu is like one nanosecond).

oh, i was no aware of the "Work Unit" specifics. Now I really get it.

maybe? maybe kind souls such as y'all will learn me good in time.

hey viking, i'll be in va beach in the spring for a lan party, u should drop by and see if we can get everybody there to fold like crazy. probably gonna be like 300 pc's there, we could get alot done in 3 days:)

Back