• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

activition bug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
goog` said:
If anyone knows a way of getting into explorer to run a program from a cd-rom i could use my "patch"

This is an activation hack crack patch.. whatever you want to call it, and as far as i know they are considered illegal as they are bypassing microsoft's copywright measures and discussing them are prohibited on the forums.

If we pay very close to the wording we will all notice that the word used is patch, the definition of patch according to dictonary.com is
"n.

1. A small piece of material affixed to another, larger piece to conceal, reinforce, or repair a worn area, hole, or tear.
2. A small piece of cloth used for patchwork.
2. A small cloth badge affixed to a garment as a decoration or an insignia, as of a military unit.
1. A dressing or covering applied to protect a wound or sore.
2. A pad or shield of cloth worn over an eye socket or an injured eye.
3. A transdermal patch.
4. See beauty spot.
1. A small piece, part, or section, especially that which differs from or contrasts with the whole: a patch of thin ice; patches of sunlight.
2. A small plot or piece of land, especially one that produces or is used for growing specific vegetation: a briar patch; a bean patch.
6. An indefinite period of time; a spell: weathered a difficult patch after losing his job.
7. A temporary, removable electronic connection, as one between two components in a communications system.
8. Computer Science. A piece of code added to software in order to fix a bug, especially as a temporary correction between two releases.
"
pay close attention to number 8. Windows has a bug, I am installing my own patch. just need to clearify my patching systrem

and how did you write the patch? by reverse engineering MS code? in that case you're violatin the EULA. and ms code isnt open source, so you dont have the rights to be making modifications to the code. :) unless ms put out the code and licensed it to you, you're still breakign the EULA by using a patch on the software.

ill add this, in case you missed it above. the staff at microsoft are much better suited to handle this kind of a matter than us guys on a forum. you can reach microsoft for their support at 1-800-642-7676

goog` said:
pay close attention to number 8. Windows has a bug, I am installing my own patch. just need to clearify my patching systrem

hmm you know what i'm damned sure that it's against microsoft's ToS to create and install a "patch" that you have created, and thats what you've made it out to be. I'm personally suprised that you havent abandoned this thread, or had the thread locked already...but there isnt any hard evidence saying that you don't have a legit copy. because if it was legit and you were worried about getting it finished in a timely manner you would have been on the phone with microsoft today. The whole basis of this thread makes things look pretty shady to begin with, as the only time i've ever seen this problem was with friends trying to patch it instead of activate it (sad part is that he actually has a legitimate CD Key for XP.)

also back to my first point about your patch, if you've got the skills to make your own patch i would expect that you wouldnt need to try to get our help so you can execute it. i will again refer you to use the phone number provided, although it may not be spot on to get you right to where you need to be their site is a tad bit confusing and i do believe that phone number can atleast get you somebody who can get you in the right direction.

And my last point pertaining this phone number....the fact that you can find the net to get you to this website to ask for help makes me want to know why you cant find the phone number to get to microsoft...its not like this is the only place on the web that you can go.

four4875, own u a bit of an apoligy, my post was a bit assish. -*-----calling ms right now, 20 min of hold so far :). They then tell me to basicly go screw myself and transfered me back and forth between the activation department and ms http://www.ocforums.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3820849#
bang head. sop then i called dell, they said it was a software issue so call ms (ms told me it's a softare issue so call dell so we had some :argue: ) the the dell guy told me to reinstall.

and this is why i don't like phoning

Last edited:
goog` said:
four4875, own u a bit of an apoligy, my post was a bit assish. calling ms right now, 20 min of hold so far :)

wow i figured it would be monday before that would be possible...i didnt expect them to carry late night service...anyways good luck they should have you fixed up in a jiff, it would also be mighty nice if you could post the answer to the problem in detail as it could be helpful to somebody else who also gets the problem legitimately

i whent with the given solution and did a clean install. From what i understand from google the only solution is to use a patch in safe mod(safe mode with command prompt + explorer.exe)
windows activation is open 24/7 i called them once while they where going through a blizzard with 2 meters of snow. the fact that tech support is open suprised me to, guess those poorly paid, cranky, poorly trained Indian workers can do a bit of over time

Last edited:
its cool, i usually dont hold any grudges or anything like that.

And im pretty sure M$ activation is open 24/7, i called at 3:30 am once to get my old lappy activated.

RJARRRPCGP: not everyone can afford another license for 2k, and a switch to linux isnt really a viable option for some of us, we like things that are only available on win32 / 64 platform, like our games, and the video editing software we've come to love (and photo too)

if all of my games, vegas, and photoshop were ported to *nix, i'd switch that night. but till then i need my win32/64. fortunately, i dont have to pay for my win64 for a while, and i wont pay for it till i get my sound drivers workin under win64. (when creative writes them, i mean)

^ like he said, tried linux(about 10 differebt flavours to) hated linux. no copy of win 2k pro hanging around with all my data

Back